How Long Have You Been Waiting For Your Panda?

The month that you first desired the upcoming Pandora device

• 1-2 months: March - April (2009)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-4 months: January - February (2009)

• 5-6 months: November - December (2008)

• 7-8 months: September - October (2008)

• 9-10 months: July - August (2008)

• 11-12 months: May - June (2008)

• 13-14 months: March - April (2008)

• 15-16 months: January - February (2008)

• 17-18 months: November - December (2007)

• 18+ months: Before November 2007

• Total voters

I dug up my post on QJ from when I first heard about it--December, 2007.

Also, I alluded to it being vaporware in that post. Huh. Well, I don't still believe it's vaporware ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My first post was replying to a poll about the unofficial blog [which I have since never visited]
Since then, I've maintained a 10.9 post per day average, most of which are just idle conversation while waiting, and maybe 1 or 2 daily are about development.

I've been waiting since I read something about the gp32 in Edge magazine. I always thought it could be so much better...

'ndbsolar' said:
I've been waiting since I read something about the gp32 in Edge magazine. I always thought it could be so much better...
Sometime near the the end of 2007, I was looking for an portable device that could play scumm games and videos, and came across the super thread, when the cpu was still being discussed. My interest was piqued when Jabon(sp?) offered the OMAP, and craig decided to go with it.

I had been wanting a proper portable linux device for a while. I first read about the pandora just before Xmas '08 on wikipedia and was like "i want that but they're propaply all gone". I kept lurking in the forums about once/twice per week until they said they could take more orders and (i was luckily polling the forums just a few hours after that post) immediately sent an email to the sales team. I count myself waiting ever since, so January 09 is my answer.

tsh said:
Since about when my psion5 did a hard reset and lost everything with no backups - about 2005, I think.
Did the pandora concept exist at that point?

The poll is about when you wanted a pandora specifically - not when you wanted a device to replace something else and found out about the pandora later...

If we're giving abstract, metaphysical answers, I've wanted the Pandora since I realized my PDA didn't connect to Linux, all the software for it was proprietary, and there was like no easy way to program it.
Especially since it was apparently incapable of simply showing up as a fucking mass storage device. Which I would think would be simple... The Palm Z22 is a piece of crap.

In a metaphysical sense, I have wanted something like the Pandora since the mid 80's, when I first read about the BodyComp in the Star Frontiers role-playing supplement called Zebulon's Guide to Frontier Space. In the game it was a small fully functional computer that the user could wear that had all manner of add on components.

The Pandora itself, rather than something with the spec and appearance that it had when I first went "I GOTTA get me one of THESE" would be about 15 months I guess. When there was a neat little cardboard Pandora in my F-200 box, showing how the keyboard looked and where the controls were and stuff. Looked nice, and the spec was fairly close to what I wanted (only missing a few things that I could live without).

Uhm... well, honestly, I've been wanting a Pandora since I knew about the project, about a year ago. But to be fair, I've been waiting for a Pandora only a couple of months, since I pre-ordered mine on February :).

I've been waiting for about 17 years, ok? I don't use my gadgets anymore, I just use it in my head, you know what im saying? I can do that. No disrespect, but thats how I am.

'PoisonedV' said:
I've been waiting for about 17 years, ok? I don't use my gadgets anymore, I just use it in my head, you know what im saying? I can do that. No disrespect, but thats how I am.
Er... sorry but... I'm almost afraid to ask, but I'm curious... what did you mean? I didn't get it... :huh:

LastPucho said:
'PoisonedV' said:
Er... sorry but... I'm almost afraid to ask, but I'm curious... what did you mean? I didn't get it... :huh:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cli...amp;btnG=Search

... who the fuck knows..
PoisonedV uses proprietary memes, it makes it impossible for any of us lol without reverse-engineering, which takes a lot of effort that we could be spending on developing original, open source memes.

A slightly more interesting pole would be "How long are you prepared to wait for the Pandora?" or possibly, "If X improvement was put in now, How long are you prepared to wait for the Pandora?"

Back