How Much Does The Vid-player For Gp32...

Octavious

Programer Guru! ...in the making
Website
www.retroportables.4x2.net
OK, so I know now that the gp32 uses the movie player you have to buy
but if I want to watch movies , how much can I put things on them?
it only has a few megs (128) and thats not a very big movie file?
so how much will it compress it?
like if I have a 100 meg movie, what will it compress to?
does it lose some quality if it compresses?
And I believe that it is, but is virtual dub the best program to use?

~Octavious

It loses quite a bit of quality, but its still watchable. I fit the entire Matrix Reloaded into 110MB quite easily. Sure, it didnt look amazing, but its good enough to watch!

GpCinema is the video player in question.
I compress 650mb+ of divx into <128mb of video and use it wih GpCinema.

The quality of the video is quite surpising. Don't expect DVD quality or anything like that, but it is sufficient to be good to watch...... just some action scenes need to be overclocked as far as 166mhz.

I use Virtualdub and its fine for the job.

I use my PocketPC for watching movies. Works alot better than my GP32, and I don't have to reencode or cut down the framerate or anything, though I usually do cut the resolution to 320*240 (Since more would be a waste)

a "100 meg movie" doesn't tell us much. knowing how long it is would be MUCH more helpful, the resolution helps a lot too.

but, you can get an episode of a tv show (20 mins) into about 25ish megs at 320x240 10-20 fps

I watch mostly US tv shows on mine, and can get a full episode (~22 mins) in watchable quality at about 16mb using vdub.

I have friends episodes with good quality at about 18-28 mb each, also south park episodes with acceptable quality (actually you dont need dvd quality to watch south park) at about 10-15 mb each.

I've been tweaking around with VD lately and finally got some good quality using Xvid on anime and simpsons eps 25mins each, they all end up around 25Mb which is perfect.

Before I was getting a lot of corruption with fast scenes, but I've sacrificed some of the overall definition for fluid frame rate

Also, I don't understand why VD 1.4.7 compresses much smaller than the later versions. It doesn't bother me except 1.4.7 won't allow me to do batch jobs - just crashes :(

I haven't worked out yet how to extract the audio layer seperately in order to re-encode AC3 audio, VD doesn't like these files....

Can't remember what version of VD I'm using, but I was extracting the audio streams to WAV yesterday to change to CBR audio without losing the sync. Go to the file menu and do Save WAV... or something like that.

Back