How Much Juice Does The Pandora Use At Full Hog?

Chip said:
Check the BBcode. That second link is devoid of any special mod tags. I don't know why it won't work for anybody else. I'm not sure how else to link to it. Here's the quote:

MWeston said:
When Linux is idle at the console, regardless of clock speed, the current sits about about 420mA. Running FBA at 500MHz puts the current at 600-625mA and at 900MHz it is 695-710mA. Picodrive uses less power at about 650mA at 900MHz I think it was. FBA is the most current hungry of the emulators I have tested, but just by 20-30mA or so. Even the PSX emu uses less, but it's got a bunch of debug junk in it that really slows down screen updates so it might go up when I get to see those 150+fps Zod was getting. He has been too busy to make me a better binary so it's not a realistic version of something you would play on.

Yeah, it would be great to run some IR tests on the CPU. It's going to be pretty much the same as the EVM. The Beagle board I had feels the same at 500MHz as the Pandora board does at the same speed. If you are interested, you could do some EVM tests, or does the processor mount upside down in the socket? I forget.

Another of the many concerns to address was how the battery does at high current loads. So far, since we are operating in the nominal 0.2C range, it is cool as a cucumber. It's such a big battery that the internal resistance is very low. Obviously you can't test that one yet, but the fact that it still feels cold to the touch seems convincing to me.

Off topic: I did a battery test the other day with a new cell on its first full charge. Based on the current draw (about 625mA), I predicted the battery would last 6.5hours but it ran for about a minute over 8.5 hours. The current load was very consistent for the entire day so that calculated out to over 5000mAh! Who knows, we might be in for a welcome surprise with the final product when power management is applied.

Is this just the CPU or the whole thing (CPU + LCD and all the other goodies)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
Check the BBcode. That second link is devoid of any special mod tags. I don't know why it won't work for anybody else.

Isn't it due to it is in "secret" thread?

EDIT: I even can't find it in MWeston's posts, there is only one Posted on Jul 23 2008, 06:36 AM followed one from Jul 29 2008, 08:30 PM.

Chip said:
Check the BBcode. That second link is devoid of any special mod tags. I don't know why it won't work for anybody else. I'm not sure how else to link to it. Here's the quote:

Er, Chip, check the threads forum - "Pandora Development (not public)".

Backlight power draw:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;#entry568897
What do you mean? for the LCD? the backlighting is LED, draws about 600mW when fully cranked up. It is a very bright and a gorgeous screen so it will be easy to keep it turned down to save battery life.

Do you mean for the QWERTY keypad? That is something we are deciding on and I welcome opinions. Is it necessary? could be costly for a low volume device and draws more power too.

Back