The Pandora Has Landed

DaveC said:
BackAssward said:
Good to see you back.

Is a DPad review in the plans? It is my understanding that this Rev3 is final as far as design/functionality is concerned, no?
To be honest I haven't had time to find and configure any games yet. You can't just get from a central archive yet, you have to kind of go around to the creators of the apps and ask them for the executables. It is not as easy as drag and drop yet from what I can tell to get things running.

Well, once the image is setup for you, it is :D You just don't have the games yet ;)
I'll mail you some stuff and infos :)

Last edited:
WOW, another icon back in the fold! Good to see you again Dave, and thanks for your input in the creation process. Your mod for the GP2X was awesome, and greatly improved the controls on that device. If GPH would have had 2cents worth of brains, they would have consulted you for the WIZ controls, but I guess that is just dust in the wind at this point.

Chris

Creature XL said:
How is the screen and the controls?
could you play vertical arcade games with it?

Now the vertical Mame question is a blast from the past ! :D

Dave - thanks for your feedback and obviously for all the work you put into this. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the controls 'in-game', but by all account so far all who have used are happy.

And even more looking forward to seeing the handiwork face to face. Try as hard as I can, its impossible now not to start getting excited.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks dave without you we wouldnt have a pandora in our grasp can wait to try out the dpad :)

Shoudl've got someone to bundle you an SD card; heck, we shoudl 'back up' an image of a working SD and send that to you so you can just unpack and go :) (Its not too difficult to do, but a bit obscure; once its in NAND it'll be cake of course :) But once you've got the firmware, you can just drop pnd files into the right place and good to go, easy as pie. ED has a few pnd files saved up :) (picodrive ftw!)

Email or PM me if you want a walkthrough on setup, or ED, or anyone..

jeff

skeezix said:
Shoudl've got someone to bundle you an SD card; heck, we shoudl 'back up' an image of a working SD and send that to you so you can just unpack and go :) (Its not too difficult to do, but a bit obscure; once its in NAND it'll be cake of course :) But once you've got the firmware, you can just drop pnd files into the right place and good to go, easy as pie. ED has a few pnd files saved up :) (picodrive ftw!)

jeff
so... have all the demos we've seen of booting etc been off sd thus far? NAND has got to be much faster r/w than the sd... I'm eager to see boot times once this is complete (if that in fact the case)

jb0yx said:
skeezix said:

jeff
so... have all the demos we've seen of booting etc been off sd thus far? NAND has got to be much faster r/w than the sd... I'm eager to see boot times once this is complete (if that in fact the case)

I read somewhere that the nand is slower than a decent sd-card.

Everyone is booting from SD still; this is how the Pandora is unbrickable.. it knows how to boot right off SD. At first most of us were booting kernel from SD1 with the 'image' (the OS files) on SD2, but most of us are doing single-SD now .. two partitions, one FAT (to pull in kernel and boot conf) and the other ext2/3 for the OS image, leaving SD2 to be pnd-files or videos or whatever.

Essentially, we'll be mpoving SD1 to NAND and good to go; under NAND we'll be using a compressed filesystem and some union-magic as well, likely; djwillis is working hard on such things. For development, we run off SD though -- stick it into your dev machine, unpack a new image or mess with it, stick it into panda and boot; having firmware in NAND just makes it a little extra work to mess with when you're hacking it constantly. (Course you can usb-net into the Pandora and log in via ssh or telnet or serial console or the like as well.)

jeff

Will the Pandora support mounting as a usb volume on a PC from the get-go? It would be nice if all we had to do to install the firmware was copy a UDF image to the NAND.

atomicthumbs said:
This thread reminds me: I am going to take my Pandora case and a pair of calipers and spend a while making a 3D model so I can CNC my own out of fine hardwood.

I've no idea if you're serious or not, but that would kick some ass.

Nova said:
atomicthumbs said:
This thread reminds me: I am going to take my Pandora case and a pair of calipers and spend a while making a 3D model so I can CNC my own out of fine hardwood.

That would be kick ass! let us know if you manage to make this happen. I might be interested in buying one if you do.(price would be the deciding factor)

/copydir said:
Nova said:
atomicthumbs said:

That would be kick ass! let us know if you manage to make this happen. I might be interested in buying one if you do.(price would be the deciding factor)

Pity atomicthumbs didn't get the CNC data straight from /copydir (or whoever designed the case) - the hardwood cases would have been finished before the plastic ones :p

atari_eric said:
Pity atomicthumbs didn't get the CNC data straight from /copydir (or whoever designed the case) - the hardwood cases would have been finished before the plastic ones :p
To be fair, *A* case probably would have been done by now. Let's see how long it takes him to CNC 10'000 of them :p

DaveC said:
Well I got my pre-release Pandora recently :) I am not a coder but for those who don't know the story, I designed the case, pad, buttons etc (basically all plastic stuff). So as a member of OP it is logical for me to have one to test things with. I didn't do pictures as others already have so it would just be repetition.

After seeing those close-up pictures of the flaws I was expecting the worst. I was suprised at how cool it looks in person though! Very slick! While it is not up to Apple and Sony perfection yet it is pretty damn nice. It is especially good considering it wasn't produced by a huge multi billion dollar mega corporation like Sony or Nintendo. It has this kind of badass industrial look to it. It is hard to explain but it doesn't look like a toy. The LEDs look awesome, kind of looks like a spaceship cockpit or something.

I think this thing is going to be HUGE when it hits the stores. I don't want to sound like a commercial but if you were on the fence I would try to get on the pre-order list soon (if you can, I don't know the status, that is not my area). I just have a feeling these will be in demand and be very hard to get until production is at full power.

yoursire.jpg

atari_eric said:
/copydir said:
Nova said:
atomicthumbs said:

Wow, how much of this topic did you read? /copydir had nothing to do with the design of the cases. He just expressed an interest in atomicthumbs idea. The OP, DaveC designed the case.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
atari_eric said:
atomicthumbs said:
Wow, how much of this topic did you read? /copydir had nothing to do with the design of the cases. He just expressed an interest in atomicthumbs idea. The OP, DaveC designed the case.

And really, how long have you guys been on the forums? 95% of atomicthumbs' posts are completely tongue-in-cheek.

rabidpoobear said:
God Ginrai said:
atari_eric said:
atomicthumbs said:

And really, how long have you guys been on the forums? 95% of atomicthumbs' posts are completely tongue-in-cheek.

Yea, I don't expect serious things from atomicthumbs anymore, no offense. >.> I just expect hilarity to ensue whenever I see a post by him.

-God Ginrai

rabidpoobear said:
And really, how long have you guys been on the forums?  95% of atomicthumbs' posts are completely tongue-in-cheek.
God Ginrai said:
Yea, I don't expect serious things from atomicthumbs anymore, no offense. >.>  I just expect hilarity to ensue whenever I see a post by him.
-God Ginrai

This is serious. I have access to calipers and a CNC router as part of the engineering program at my high school, and I am planning on doing this if it's not too much of a challenge.

Back