How Much Proprietary Software In The Pandora?

kingoddball said:
Does anyone plan on having "sensitive" information on their Pandora?
I'm going to be using my Pandora as a main control component in a new pressurized heavy water fission reactor facility I'm designing

Last edited by a moderator:
I could understand your concerns (to some extent) if the Pandora was a phone which is permanently connected to the internet like most "Smart" phones these days, but people are unlikely to hack your device and obtain your secrets via the 3D module. Yes, it's possible that some software may exploit a module, get root access, find your stored passwords, and then upload them via Wifi to somewhere, but that would be the software you are incorrectly trusting (even if it's open-source). People rarely do a full code-review and then re-compile before installing software, although I have seen people doing a simple code review and then using the pre-built binary, which is crazy.

If you want security, then buy two Pandoras. Build the firmware yourself, and use one for trusted software, and the other for non-trusted software.

Just make sure the Pandora does not use a generic root password like the damn iPhone..

ALPINE! hahahaha!

Elanzer said:
I've heard rumors there are backdoors in the ARM processor architecture itself, but if sufficiently wrapped in tinfoil there is no way to access these backdoors.
That's bullshit.

BTW if people are concerned about proprietary software, then don't buy anything using OMAP3 since this has some ROM which runs in secure mode and which content isn't known (except for some smc [secure monitor call]).

Laurent said:
Elanzer said:
I've heard rumors there are backdoors in the ARM processor architecture itself, but if sufficiently wrapped in tinfoil there is no way to access these backdoors.
That's bullshit.

I think he might be playfully reminding us of the tinfoil hats worn by paranoid people :rolleyes:

Vlynndar said:
I think he might be playfully reminding us of the tinfoil hats worn by paranoid people :rolleyes:
+1
It was clearly meant as a joke :)

Sphinxter said:
Elanzer said:

Any references for those?
Laurent said:
That's bullshit.

BTW if people are concerned about proprietary software, then don't buy anything using OMAP3 since this has some ROM which runs in secure mode and which content isn't known (except for some smc [secure monitor call]).

I'm just guessing here but I think Elanzer is joking. I mean, wrapping it in tinfoil

If you're that concerned about proprietary software, don't get an x86-PC. Those are pretty full of proprietary code, even when running linux without closed drivers. For starters, The BIOS, firmware of all kinds of devices, several of which have access to main memory (f.ex videocard, hdd). ACPI contains code in the bios that needs to be executed by the OS, etc. etc....

grasshoppir said:
DroneB Dev said:
by the way is much more easy to find exploits on an open source systen than on a closed one. because of the full awareness over
the code structure. and usually no need to reverse-engineering
so thats why gnu/linux/bsd is popular on servers?

lol. Open Source is a double edged sword when it comes to security. Yes it is easier to find exploits in the code, but it is also easier to patch them as well.

Laurencevde said:
If you're that concerned about proprietary software, don't get an x86-PC. Those are pretty full of proprietary code, even when running linux without closed drivers. For starters, The BIOS, firmware of all kinds of devices, several of which have access to main memory (f.ex videocard, hdd). ACPI contains code in the bios that needs to be executed by the OS, etc. etc....
I've actually seen this a lot unfortunately. Someone talking about security, and open source software is all they trust, all the while forgetting that an x86 is full of software that you never see and can't touch, their cable box knows what they watch and where they live, their phone knows who called and who they called, the smart electricity meter the electric company just installed probably knows exactly when they go to bed. Our lives are now full of computers that run software that we can't control. It makes no sense to me to say "I won't use that because I can't read the source", unless you're doing it for everything, and if you do that you'll be throwing out a lot of things. For the extremely paranoid, how do you know your microwave doesn't have a camera in it and is broadcasting your kitchen?

WizardStan said:
For the extremely paranoid, how do you know your microwave doesn't have a camera in it and is broadcasting your kitchen?

Hm, that explains why my low end model microwave cost a thousand dollars..

5230261_d35d6ebaaf.jpg

Here's something to throw into the fire:

The OMAP3530 contains proprietary code in ROM that is run on power up. Therefore you can't delete it and you can't view the source code.

Squidge said:

The OMAP3530 contains proprietary code in ROM that is run on power up. Therefore you can't delete it and you can't view the source code.
Obviously a bootstrapping keylogger. What else could it be?

Squidge said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who needs some sleep: this was mentioned here http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/51677-how-much-proprietary-software-in-the-pandora/page__view__findpost__p__805085

:)

also who knows, myabe all preamble of wireless communications are not only used to uplink the connection, but used by
underground government as an unique tracking over the globe. getting your position every time you turn it on.

hey, also maybe TCP/IP is much more dark than what everybody believes. who knows sometimes the lost packets aint what we thought?

Back