How Psp Emus Compare To Gp2x Ones ?

Deed

Hi all,

My beloved 'first edition' GP2X is slowly dying (the classic battery life problem), so I have to replace it. At the moment I have the choice between :
- wait for the GP2X-F200 to come out (hopefully in some months)
- buy a PSP Slim (its firmware has just been cracked :))

So, I'd like to know better how PSP emulators compare to GP2x emulators. I'm particularly interested (of course) by SNES, MAME and Genesis. Since I do not have a PSP, I'm not used to follow PSP homebrew news, so I don't know the current status of all these emus. From what I read here from time to time, it seems that these emus were better on GP2X rather than on PSP, but this point of view might have been a little bit biaised ;) Also, since last time I read those comments the situation on PSP may have evolved. And, of course, PSX emulation on PSP is a big plus (although job being done by zoddt and pals on the gp2x is incredible).

So, could those that are lucky enough to own both systems give their point of view, as much honestly and impartially as possible ?

PS : don't forget that PSP Slim's screen is supposed to be better that PSP fat one (less blur and remanence)

PPS : in case someone ask, no I won't wait for the "new" handheld. I live in a world which is called reality :rolleyes:

EDIT : I just noticed there was another recent thread on this topic, although quite more generic (not specially focused on PSP and emus) : http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=38393 Also forgot to mention neogeo, cps1 and csp2 in the "must have emus" list, assuming these emus are not perfectly emulated by MAME of course. Good sega cd and pcengine cd support would be cool also :) (like on the gp2x)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Deed said:
My beloved 'first edition' GP2X is slowly dying (the classic battery life problem),

Buy new batteries.

Seriously, what is this "classic battery life problem"? I can't see how a device could drain more when it gets old. I am quite curious about it.

And as far as I remember, the F200 will be available in October.

hal9000 said:
Buy new batteries.

Seriously, what is this "classic battery life problem"? I can't see how a device could drain more when it gets old. I am quite curious about it.

It seems that many old GP2X have soldering problems that make them drain the power of batteries (even if they are new and fully recharged) in almost half an hour. I remember there were some topics on this subject some weeks ago, I did not look further as I didn't want to open my gp2x and try to fix it myself anyway <_<

About the F200 available in October, since no price nor precise date is announced yet I find it doubtful, but who knows, anyway I hope it to be available before the end of the year at worst

for 'direct port' emus/apps they are better on the PSP (superior hardware) (in terms of performance; I like the screen but DaveC would say otherwise.. so thats to taste.)

For love and care, they're about the same .. but theres more love and care on the gp2x.

MAME is probably the same on both, as its the same codebase. (maybe less love on the psp one, since its not mother Franxis directly :)

SNES is debatable.. I'd say better on PSP, but it really depends on which emu.. SquidgeSNES and so forth give lot of options on the gp2x so probably better overall on 2x.. but I'm not a SNES player.

Genesis .. well, this is a clear given for the 2x.

CPS2 .. about the same really .. same codebase more or less; this one wsas ported from psp to 2x IIRC (which is unusual, since usually its gp2x to PSP.)

So all told.. they're pretty close, but it varties on the specific emus. IT also varies on your response to the controls and screen (both machines suck in their own ways, but maybe the Slim will make the PSP d-pad less annoying. Course, gp2x's have diagonal tendancies, so c'est la vie :)

So for emulation .. I'm 50/50, which doesn't help you for shit :)

jeff

The PSP's odd screen resolution means that you need to stretch stuff to fit that you don't need to on the GP2X to get a decent image size. That results in blurry more washed out images due to the filtering. You mention NeoGeo and Sega CD. Thost fit pretty close to perfect on the GP2X with no scaling or filtering. Those are scaled and fuzzy on the PSP to get the same image size. Of course the PSP is much more powerful though.

DaveC said:
The PSP's odd screen resolution means that you need to stretch stuff to fit that you don't need to on the GP2X to get a decent image size. That results in blurry more washed out images due to the filtering.
Yep, but thinking about it, gp2x screen is too small for some cps1 and cps2 games that have to be stretched horizontally, meaning that at least those games should look better on the PSP.
Anyway, since PSP is 480x272, it is not so far away from 300x200 (I think this is the genesis resolution) so even if there is slight black borders it should be acceptable on the PSP screen without stretching, no ?

imhotep, thanks for the link, however since the thread you mention is quite old it may not have the most up to date information.

Deed said:
hal9000 said:
Buy new batteries.

It seems that many old GP2X have soldering problems that make them drain the power of batteries (even if they are new and fully recharged) in almost half an hour.
Umm... take the batteries out when you're not using it? Seriously, I've never heard of anything like this. It sounds utterly bogus to me. I'll believe it when I see it documented. It sounds like you're just looking for an excuse to buy a new toy, sorry! (Also this topic, "better emus on PSP/GP2X" has been done to death too... sorry if I don't believe your pre-emptive apology about not looking to start a flamewar, either!)

gamefan999 said:
Deed said:
It seems that many old GP2X have soldering problems that make them drain the power of batteries (even if they are new and fully recharged) in almost half an hour.

Umm... take the batteries out when you're not using it? Seriously, I've never heard of anything like this. It sounds utterly bogus to me. I'll believe it when I see it documented. It sounds like you're just looking for an excuse to buy a new toy, sorry! (Also this topic, "better emus on PSP/GP2X" has been done to death too... sorry if I don't believe your pre-emptive apology about not looking to start a flamewar, either!)

Before saying something so utterly stupid you should use the function called "search" on these forums. What a pointless and pedantic post ... Not to say that of course taking off the batteries when not using the gp2x won't solve anything.
About the "pre-emptive apology about not looking to start a flamewar", this is because I noticed there is a big bunch of kids, moaners, pedantic people and flamers here ... and again I am proved right :(
Fortunately, there is also many helpful and smart people here to counterbalance people like you :)

Deed said:
Before saying something so utterly stupid you should use the function called "search" on these forums.
Ok, stupid...

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=37643
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=37377
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=35932
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=37139
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=36159

Is that enough threads that make one-to-one comparisons between the PSP and the GP2X (including emulation issues) for you? Why don't you pratice what you preach, numbnuts?

Deed said:
What a pointless and pedantic post ...

Well, not really pointless, then, not in any way. Actually downright relevant, so it would seem to you, now that I've done the search for you. And pedantic? WTF? Here's a word of advice - when you're going to insult someone, it usually makes sense that the insult actually has some slight bearing on the point at hand. Go practice you alliteration somewhere else, chump.

Really depends on the Emulator, the Version being used, the settings you have configured the software to use the hardware (Clock speeds, sound settings etc). And of course personal prefrence.

I have a PSP and a GP2X, got the GP2X almost 2 years after first purchasing a PSP.

PSP Emulators seem to have a slightly better polish on them in regards to the UI's, but that's just eye candy and I would rather have an emulator with a simple file select menu that worked well vs a flash menu on an emulator that could hardly work. (from what I have seen if the psp dev's spend more time working on their ports/code for the actual emulators other than their UI's things would perform much better.)

First off re; the screen size issue with the PSP Screen, you dont need to force a widescreen stretch you can do a 4:3 aspect ratio strecth but it is obviously interpolated, (Some emulators pull this off well and others not very well at all).

SNES emulation really stinks on both systems, PSP wins slightly as it performs better in some cases with Transparancies on etc (but in the end it comes down to user prefrence). Some people rave about Snes on the PSP but i'm sure they must enjoy frameskip.

CPS1,CPS2 is perfect on the PSP with current emulator releases, however as stated several times it also works perfect on the GP2X however screen res limit's the CPS1,2 video output which is quite annoying (shrinking the image looks awful, leaving it native and putting up with missing video data on either side of the screen is ok but annoying in some instances) Also both systems require cache data for CPS2 thus taking up much more data space on your memory device.

NEOGEO is the same for both, however the screen of the GP2X Suits it perfect and I personally prefer NEOGEO games on the GP2X. NEOGEO-CD I know works perfect on the PSP but I have never bothered clearing my SDCard to test.

Genesis... GP2X Wins Hands down, DGen is ok on the PSP but quite dissapointing really considering.

M.A.M.E ...GP2X mame4all 4.7 works much better than the mame4all 4.6/4.7 ports for the PSP However they are currently a work in progress on the PSP and some day may reach the compatability/speed level of the GP2X system.

Game Ports re: Quake1... better on PSP but not by much, however Scumm as far as I am aware is pretty much the same on both platforms. UrQuan Masters PSP Port is currently a piece of junk and the GP2X Port works nicely (provide you put the files where it wants them to be).

All in all I would prefer a GP2X for emulators/gameports over my PSP.. however in saying that the PSP is obviously a more mainstream product.

On a final note however it would appear that there has been a recent resurgance of PSP software avaliable, including the new teams working on cracking newer firmwares, the Promethus Pandora Battery project and the recent Cracking of Slim Firmware 3.6 ... however as you probably know Firmware 3.7 is just around the corner for both Fat and Slim and the game of Sony vs Homebrew will continue as it has in the past. But as I was saying there seems to be more people focused on releasing new software/ports for the PSP currently.... which surprises me but perhaps GP2X coders have reached a plateu in the systems hardware ability?

Buy a new GP2X MKII and Buy a PSP... problem solved.

Deed said:
DaveC said:
The PSP's odd screen resolution means that you need to stretch stuff to fit that you don't need to on the GP2X to get a decent image size. That results in blurry more washed out images due to the filtering.
Yep, but thinking about it, gp2x screen is too small for some cps1 and cps2 games that have to be stretched horizontally, meaning that at least those games should look better on the PSP.
Anyway, since PSP is 480x272, it is not so far away from 300x200 (I think this is the genesis resolution) so even if there is slight black borders it should be acceptable on the PSP screen without stretching, no ?

Well CPS2 is an exception but if you use the SW horizontal only scale it is not horrible. It still pretty much fills the screen vertically at 1:1 but it averages some pixel columns horizontally. It isn't ideal as 1:1 but it looks suprisingly good considering. You still have to stretch on the PSP to get a decent sized 4:3 image so it looks blurry anyway.

Genesis is 320 x 220. That compares well to the GP2X 320 x 240. On the PSP you get a substantially smaller image at 1:1. If you interpolate you get the same image size as the GP2X but because it is interpolated it looks much fuzzier. 220 doesn't go into 272 very well at all.
st0x said:
...But as I was saying there seems to be more people focused on releasing new software/ports for the PSP currently.... which surprises me but perhaps GP2X coders have reached a plateu in the systems hardware ability?
I am not suprised. There are a bazillion PSPs out there compared to just 10s of thousands of GP2Xs.

st0x said:
But as I was saying there seems to be more people focused on releasing new software/ports for the PSP currently.... which surprises me but perhaps GP2X coders have reached a plateu in the systems hardware ability?

Dunno about that but you'd expect a summer lull I think and also the gbax coding comp had an effect.

I'm beavering away on some (arcade stylee) homebrew at the moment :ph34r: - but dunno when I'll be finished.
All game mechanics complete, but sorting out gameplay, background music/graphics, configuration pages and all the stuff that takes (in my experience) most time; of course may wait for next coding comp till release anyway.. B)

gamefan999 said:
Deed said:
Before saying something so utterly stupid you should use the function called "search" on these forums.
Ok, stupid...

Is that enough threads that make one-to-one comparisons between the PSP and the GP2X (including emulation issues) for you? Why don't you pratice what you preach, numbnuts?

Deed said:

Well, not really pointless, then, not in any way. Actually downright relevant, so it would seem to you, now that I've done the search for you. And pedantic? WTF? Here's a word of advice - when you're going to insult someone, it usually makes sense that the insult actually has some slight bearing on the point at hand. Go practice you alliteration somewhere else, chump.
If I was a teenager, I would say that Deed got 'Pawned'!

Excellent!

gamefan999 said:
Deed said:
Ok, stupid...

Ok I admit : I'm lazy :p , however my goal was to focus on *emulators* only (and in particular 16bits systems), I did not want to discuss about power, battery life, design, usability, and so on ... And this with up-to-date information ;) But sure I could have read carefully all these threads. I could also have asked in a PSP forum ;)

gamefan999 said:
Deed said:

Just to clarify myself : what was totally irrelevant in you post was your thoughts and insunations about the battery problem with my gp2x, hence my advise for you to use the 'search' function and my use of the words "pedantic" and "pointless" :rolleyes:

Squidge, DaveC, st0x and other : thanks :) At the moment I'm rather in the mood for buying a psp slim (because it's new and already available :p), seems a good deal anyway, and this way I'd be in a perfect position to compare both systems when it comes to emulation

gamefan999 said:
Umm... take the batteries out when you're not using it? Seriously, I've never heard of anything like this. It sounds utterly bogus to me. I'll believe it when I see it documented. It sounds like you're just looking for an
It is actually a known fault, before you two flame each other to death :) Taking the batteries out will make no difference whatsoever, as it draws too much current whilst in use (but zero whilst off). This is due to component failure, and can be fixed, but it's not exactly a simple task.

WarmFluffyUK said:
If you're throwing your GP2X away, can you throw it in my direction?
I certainly won't throw away my gp2x (hey ! it's a collector), and I won't try to sell it or trade it anyway since I consider it as broken (1/2 hour of battery life, stick that answer more and more badly to moves), so I'll keep it anyway :p

Lurkio said:
Squidge said:
before you two flame each other to death :)
Don't stop them I was enjoying it. ;)

I'm done, now that I've "pawned" someone (are we playing chess here?). So I'm still waiting for someone to link to a thread detailing this mysterious and gradual battery appetite. I'm no electrician, so I can't understand how circuits can evolve an appetite for current. Explanation, pls?

Back