How resilent is the pandora?

If a drunk girl threw my pandora to the floor, I don't know what I'd do. I too am curious about what ed was doing in Korea at the time...

Edit: mine fell onto its shoulder button on a concrete floor from 1 meter height. No damage but the button felt a bit less clicky afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
^

UPS caused it likely when it went from me to you.  I check them before they leave, and click them into place if they snapped out crossing the Atlantic or were missed by the QA/QC at GC.
In spite of ALL THAT BUBBLE WRAP I put in there?  You saw the package...how much bubble wrap was in there?

If you drop your pandora from a small height, it's very likely that the bump causes the battery to briefly disconnect, which causes a reboot.

The battery cover has tabs that can break off relatively easily. I currently only have 1 of the 3 tabs left on it, but that still seems to be enough to keep the battery in place (although if I bump it too hard (e.g. putting it down on a table with some force), I get a reboot). Useful advice: don't remove the battery cover if you don't need to (I did remove it a couple of times just to show the battery to some people, and that's probably what killed those tabs - when I'm showing off, I'm probably less careful than usually, because then I want to remove and put back the battery cover as quickly as possible).

I have a black case and I have my Pandora less than a year (about 9 months now), but I use it quite intensively (I take it everywhere with me, nearly always without carrying case, just right into my pocket or backpack). It has had a few drops from small heights (< 1m) on relatively soft surfaces (wood, couch, carpet). Over this period of time, the two battery cover tabs broke off and the case got some cracks and scratches. None of the cracks feel like they're threatening the structural integrity of the case though. The cracks and scratches are barely noticeable from a distance; this is probably one of the advantages of matte black.

So conclusion: this is certainly not a resilient or ruggedized device, and it is probably less strong than big-company handhelds. It's not something extremely fragile either. If you treat it reasonably carefully, it will probably last quite a while without physically breaking.
Seems to me you oughta be able to buy a replacement battery door.

I take my battery door off once a month, when I cycle the battery I'm using.  I have one spare battery, every month I switch off.

If a drunk girl threw my pandora to the floor, I don't know what I'd do. I too am curious about what ed was doing in Korea at the time...

Edit: mine fell onto its shoulder button on a concrete floor from 1 meter height. No damage but the button felt a bit less clicky afterwards.
I know what I'D do...I'd repeat a move I saw back in high school in a girl fight...I'd grab her hair...wrap it around my hand two or three times and start using her head as a punching bag!  Then again, I'm a girl, so I can do that.  I don't think most guys will hit a girl.

I take my battery door off once a month, when I cycle the battery I'm using.  I have one spare battery, every month I switch off.
Yes, you can buy replacement battery covers for 4 EUR in EvilDragon's shop. He's going to bring me one at FOSDEM.

Yes, you can buy replacement battery covers for 4 EUR in EvilDragon's shop. He's going to bring me one at FOSDEM.
I have one of them extra, too. For the same reason given: Changing battery has clipped off one and later two battery cover clips. I always keep it in the official carrying case when not playing and treat it like a raw egg like all my beloved toys ;) Inside that bag it surely fell a few times out off my bed or down from the sofa.

With all the handhelds I have played and loved, only the GAmegear gives me continous problems, and the classic DS broke one hinge when it fell down from the couch "gaming" table ()50 cm high, on double carpet)

From what I can tell, the only weak spot of the black pandora is its battery cover :)

To tell you the truth, I have bought a new battery, and GLUED the battery cover on the left and right short sides close shut after my first month of INTENSIVE treatment and having broken one battery cover.

Relieved to hear your reports, that accidents from sofa-to-carpet are normally not fatal :)

^

UPS caused it likely when it went from me to you.  I check them before they leave, and click them into place if they snapped out crossing the Atlantic or were missed by the QA/QC at GC.
In spite of ALL THAT BUBBLE WRAP I put in there?  You saw the package...how much bubble wrap was in there?
No, I'm saying this occurred during the initial transit after you purchased from Ithic.com

I know what I'D do...I'd repeat a move I saw back in high school in a girl fight...I'd grab her hair...wrap it around my hand two or three times and start using her head as a punching bag!  Then again, I'm a girl, so I can do that.  I don't think most guys will hit a girl.
Well ... She kinda just messed with his pandora . That takes both gloves and and a third one off ( :eek: ) . Please note I just now realized how weird that is to read .

^

No, I'm saying this occurred during the initial transit after you purchased from Ithic.com
And yet it worked for four months before it became a problem...

My Pandora took a bounce off the office floor this morning. I don't think i've ever dropped a piece of equipment in my life and i had to choose one of the most expensive! i gave it a quick boot up and it's still working. Will give it a closer inspection later but that was a close one. 

Oh, boy...I ever dropped mine and I'd have a heart attack!!

this thing's too expensive to be dropping!

Dropped my Droid2 loads of times, couldn't care less.

Dropped my Droid2 loads of times, couldn't care less.
Okay so I'm not the only one that throws around their Motorola phone..

^ You got off lucky, this is what happened to me. :(

most-amazing-hole-in-the-world-guatemala-sink-hole.jpg

Back