I Am Worried

If all the devs do leave you can still dev for it yourself.

nickspoon posted on Jul 4 2006 at 09:35 PM said:
What is this life, if full of care, we have no time to stand and stare?
You have totally screwed up that line with sloppy punctuation. Stay behind after class and write 100 times:

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare?

Last edited by a moderator:
You would ditch the PSP because there would be no more reason for living... I, in the meantime will have fun coding and emulating those systems that I previously enjoyed as a sub-adult :lol: ...

It's only talk, talk is cheap, and the GP2X is great ( unlike other systems )... Enjoy yours as I enjoy mine.

Why would there be no more reason for living? anything gp2x can do i can do just as easily on my psp or Dc (best system of all time), i just prefer to use my gp2x because i must admit, in terms of durability psp is a piece of crap

Mr.Jabberwocky posted on Jul 4 2006 at 10:15 PM said:
nickspoon posted on Jul 4 2006 at 09:35 PM said:
What is this life, if full of care, we have no time to stand and stare?
You have totally screwed up that line with sloppy punctuation. Stay behind after class and write 100 times:

What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare?
Well I'm terribly sorry at my extremely detrimental slight misplacement of a comma. I'll never do it again. :p

And I fixed it. Yay. Also, that poem is awesome.

How does one go about learning how to develop for he GP2X? Has anyone seen the demo for Firewhip? It looks bad-ASS!

Honestly, I am not very worried. At their core, the 2 'serious' XGP units (XGP Kids is too underpowered to really consider ever 'replacing' anything) .. the XGP and XGP Mini, are essentially the same system-on-a-chip that powers the GP2X, except for the addition of a GPU for 3D processing. There's the CPU, which is probably REALLY an ARM920T at *200* MHz, not 266- MagicEyes has released press that GamePark was using one of their SoC's with a *200* MHz ARM920T in an upcoming XGP unit, so it's probably the same as the situation with Craig calling the GP2X's 2 processors 240 MHz since everyone's been able to overclock to 240 MHz or higher. I suppose GP can get to 266 Mhz on their prototypes successfully.

Since they will be internally about the same machine, with the exception of a GPU, GP2X software should really come over seamlessly if a Linux and SDL environment is available. If that's the case, and the machines seem solid, I'll probably port anything I write over there, especially the 3D stuff. But as for abandoning the GP2X? Nah, why should I when I can use a few #ifdef statements and a makefile to produce a GP2X, PC and XGP build of an app all at once? The annoying bit is that I'd probably have to consider the differing RAM sizes between the XGP and XGP Mini, which is utterly ridiculous.

The biggest advantage I can seem to find on the XGP series is just that the control scheme is better than what the GP2X provides, though when I install a d-pad kit from Radek or whomever, I probably won't think that anymore as I'm not wild about analog control compared to digital. But in the end they're just new shells for what is essentially the same hardware I know and love in the GP2X so why should I be worried about them.

Althought there are a lot of smacktards posting here, I'll try to remain slightly on topic.

I think that GamePark should wait with the XGP until they can produce something that can blow the PSP as far as emulation or homebrew for a reasonable price. A GP2X with better internals and a better joystick + Dpad.

Gamepark didn't wait on releasing the GP32 until they could "blow out" the GBA. Put simply, XGP will be successful.

evilmegaman posted on Jul 4 2006 at 06:39 PM said:
Well I just bought a GP2X, but I am starting to think, was that a bad idea? I mean with the XGP coming out sooner or later, will all the devs and everybody move over to the XGP? I am kinda weary of it due to the fact that I don't think they even have an english site... So yeah, is everybody moving to the XGP when it's released or is the GP2X gonna live on?

It is impossible to tell the future. Some probably will go to that just because it is shiny and new. Others will stay with the GP2X because it is better suited for emulation. I would expect alot of 3D ports to the XGP like Quake etc.

I get the impression the splitup between GPH and GP was during the design phase of the next planned system, and both companies stuck with the basic design principle-- using a Magiceyes ARM9-based SoC for the core of their units rather than the GP32's older Samsung ARM9 SoC. It'd be a pretty major design departure that GPH probably couldn't afford to make changes drastic enough to top all of the PSP's capabilities 3D-wise. They'd probably need to hire an engineer or two as well and rig up something customized, as I don't know of any SoC's that provide a GPU that powerful.

JaqMs posted on Jul 4 2006 at 10:11 PM said:
Put simply at XGP will be successful.

Wow you can tell the future? Do you have any good stock picks too?

Epicenter posted on Jul 4 2006 at 10:18 PM said:
I get the impression the splitup between GPH and GP was during the design phase of the next planned system, and both companies stuck with the basic design principle-- using a Magiceyes ARM9-based SoC for the core of their units rather than the GP32's older Samsung ARM9 SoC. It'd be a pretty major design departure that GPH probably couldn't afford to make changes drastic enough to top all of the PSP's capabilities 3D-wise. They'd probably need to hire an engineer or two as well and rig up something customized, as I don't know of any SoC's that provide a GPU that powerful.

The way I heard it was that there was a difference in philosophies that made them split. GPH guys wanted an inexpensive GP32 replacement Gp wanted a more 3D oriented and expensive machine to go against the PSP.

People, if it appears, it is only another system, learn to co-exist, there is no reason to fight or surrender :)...

/* Wonders who will pass him his axe again :blink:

There is nothing wrong with options.

XGP is air, GP2X is open source... I need no more data for this operation... YET

Epicenter posted on Jul 5 2006 at 12:18 AM said:

Doing custom chipset would need a whole team of enginers and lots of $$$. There some portable GPUs from Ati, Nvidia and PowerVR (and probably other companies as well). We don't know yet how XGP will perform in 3D. So far what I could see the XGP didn't impress me in 3D.

But until it ships for real it's all more of speculation than anything else. By my estimates (based on available bandwith of XGP's ddr memory) it should manage of 30-50mpix/s of fill rate. I mean practical numbers not some theoretical peaks. It'd be enough for 320x240 screen, less so for bigger ones.

Well, I'll still use my GP2X.

I've got more games than I could ever play right now and there's a lot of development going on (yes, JaqMs, I play emus).
I'm getting better at developing for it, and have loads of ideas of things I want to do - it's the perfect device for me to play around with.
Apart from a bit more power, there's not much I (personally) would care about in a replacement - but I don't think you'd get a worthwhile increase in processing power within the size/energy consumption/price range of the GP2X.

Back