GP32 I Found A Book...

mechanori

I found this book online today.. somehow.

http://www.makegames.com/sidescroller/

Anyway, it details how to make a side scrolling game in C for DOS, and provides a number of tools for doing so. Is this a valuable resource for learning how to code? It's from 1994, but it seems like a great way to get into coding smoothly and properly.

mechanori posted on Mar 1 2005 at 11:15 PM said:
I found this book online today.. somehow.

http://www.makegames.com/sidescroller/

Anyway, it details how to make a side scrolling game in C for DOS, and provides a number of tools for doing so. Is this a valuable resource for learning how to code? It's from 1994, but it seems like a great way to get into coding smoothly and properly.

It has some useful information on the way that a side-scroller is contructed overall.

However, it will not teach you how to develop code, nor will the code be directly useful on the gp32.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have know this book for years and I think it is a great one, there are many interesting and handy pieces of information there and you can learn much just by going through it step by step.
Dalto is right, it doesnt exactly offer GP32 compatible code, yet it gives C code along with the Fastgraph library and I guess you can easily replace the Fastgraph commands by those of the GP32 SDK or your own. The theory there is still very nice. I like reading this kind of text :)

You can also try:

"Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" By André LaMothe
Publisher : SAMS
ISBN : 0-672-32369-9
Obs: Altough its based on Win Direct X code, it has some very nice theory chapters

"Core Techniques and Algorithms in Game Programming" By Daniel Sánchez-Crespo Dalmau
Publisher : New Riders Publishing
ISBN : 0-1310-2009-9
Obs: Theory

"Beginning Math and Physics for Game Programmers By Wendy Stahler"
Publisher : New Riders Publishing
ISBN : 0-7357-1390-1
Obs: Theory

If you search deep in the Net ;) you can find CHM and PDF versions

BTW
These are very old, the word its that John Carmack Id wizard had studied these books, worth a look:

GRAPHICS GEMS © 1990 by Academic Press, Inc. ISBN 0-12-059756-X
GRAPHICS GEMS II © 1991 by Academic Press, Inc.
GRAPHICS GEMS III © 1992 by Academic Press, Inc.

A final word: dont miss your focus colecting documentation, chose a good book, forget the other books for a while and read it. Concentration is key when learning or in a project.

cheers

And, if you wan't free books on C and C++, Bruce Eckel's Thinking in C++ 1 and 2 are the best. They used to be textbooks, so they are high quality. Get them at his website, Mindview.net

Back