I Had A Dream

icurafu

The Hallucinogenic Elf
Website
gamesreborn.blogspot.com
I'm going to setup my GP2X as a TV console media player thing soon.

I plan to buy the following:
-BoB Retail or developer. Does not make that much different from what I know. Just the plastic protection.
-External HDD case and HDD.
-Two USB gamepad
-DDR mat
-USB wireless thingy

So obviously I envision myself:
-Playing retro games and homebrew games with friends.
-Watching movies and listening to music on TV via GP2X.
-Busting moves on the dance-dance-revolution mat. (while noone is around)

I’m sure other people have had a similar dream, so I imagine this is a good time to collect information on drivers and products.

Here are the questions I have to kick things off...

1) Will every USB 2.0 external HDD work straight up?

2) Do control pads have drivers? What is the recommended controls pad? Right now I have an xbox360 controller I use on my PC. Will this ever work on the GP2X?

3) Can we get a generic USB gamepad driver for the gp2x that allows you to map buttons to buttons on the GP2X, so that the developer do not have to write new control options?

4) What DDR mat works the best… where can I get it??

5) I understand that the latest USB driver for DDR does not allow you to stand on two buttons at the same time, is this being fixed? Or has it been fixed?

6) What wireless USB thingies will work? Only wifi? Can I use samba to map a networked drive to EXT?

7) How can I find the drivers needed, is there a repository? How do I install them? Will it matter what firmware I have, or if I use open2x?

8) The RS232 port would be great for a serial infrared reader to allow a universal remote for watching movies and listening to mp3s. Would this be possible to add?

Can anyone give their general advice based on their experience?

Thanks in advanced to anyone brave enough to answer my questions! And yes, I do realise that BoB is still in development.

icurafu

1) Nope. You have make sure the drive is formatted in FAT32. But also my iPod for instance won't mount on the GP2X

2) Joypads tend to use a standard driver. (They sometimes have custom drivers which enable things like force feedback.)

3) Hmmm I tried (failed?) to write an app to map USB joystick buttons onto the GP2X ones so that a pad can be used with anything. I released the source because it's beyond my experience. I was hoping someone else would either continue where I left off or just apply the idea in their own way... nothing seems to have happened so far...

4) I sucessfully used a standard PS2 DDR mat with a PS2 USB adaptor for the PC... you can get them from places like lik-sang.com

5) It's not the driver, it's the application (Beat2X) and last I heard Miq was working on it, but he also said input coding is coding he finds tedius...

6) Dunno, and I would assume so.

7) Dunno

8) I guess, but that's about all I can say.. ha ha in short dunno.

Generally speaking the USB host function is pretty sweet. You can hot swap USB mice, drives and controllers, so it behaves like you would expect. It has problems with my iPod, but apart from that it works well for me.

I also found on playasia DDR mat directly USB (no need to have a PS2 adapter) for around 20€ (without shipping)

Im going to have the same configuration as you, waiting for my BoB
BTW: I also hav prob with Ipod

see you :lol:

my experience

the bobs are shite
the support is shite
the knowledge out there is...well, guess
the overall "use my gp2x for playing my divx" experience SHITE

DBH posted on Sep 9 2006 at 08:48 PM said:
I personally want to turn my GP2X into a sorta Internet radio but not sure how to go about doing that...

If we had an RSS reader and a network connection, you could use tversity. (http://www.tversity.com/)

That will give you:
-Movies over the LAN
-MP3 over the LAN
-Pictures of the LAN
-Internet TV
-Internet Radio
-That internet picture service... flickr.

And transcoding. So the tversity will transcode the movie to qvga, ovga or whatever you choose before sending it to you.

The gui is viewed by a simple html interface... so you would have to use opera or whatever.

I suppose it wouldn't be to hard to write a tversity client for GP2x if you used the linux rss and media player sourcecode.

(oh, it works on the uPnP devices, PSP, PDAs and xbox360es at the moment)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, this would be nice. I wonder what it would take to get mythtv to run on it too?! I was thinking of using wifi to access both disk and mythtv server in order to play-back video. No local disk required when you use NFS or Samba.

icurafu posted on Sep 9 2006 at 04:01 AM said:
-Movies over the LAN
-MP3 over the LAN
-Pictures of the LAN

Silence of the LAN!

Sorry, was thinking of something else, Clarice.

A network or wireless HD work instead? One that is shared with your home network?

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about doing this too, but then I modded my XBox and it does everything the GP2X does but better. Don't get me wrong, I love my GP2X and take it almost everywhere, but that's really the distinction. My 2X is for emulation and homebrew on the go (or on the shitter) and my XBox is for at home.

Back