i want a pandora, what do i do?

mrlemonyfresh said:
it would be pretty cool if there was a way that i could use the windows interface, while still using linux. if it didn't work the same way, at least i could navigate around and it wouldn't be such a learning curve.
Ubuntu typical desktop usage for common tasks are the same as Windows, dare I say, even easier to navigate. Microsoft developer have some kind of tendencies to hide options in many different places.

check this one out http://www.linux-xp.com/
it combines linux's good stuff with windows, in a windows layout. wonder it this would work...

Ubuntu typical desktop usage for common tasks are the same as Windows, dare I say, even easier to navigate. Microsoft developer have some kind of tendencies to hide options in many different places.

true, but it doesn't bother me at all because I'm used to using it :)

Hmm... i wonder if I'm the only non linux user to want a pandora... :)

the problem that this console might have with some people is the very fact that it does indeed run linux (not that I'm saying it's not a good os) but the nds and psp both gave a very, very simple main menu which suits the younger people. perhaps if the developers were to sell this to a larger group of people, they may want to incorporate some kind of quick start typed thing that could come with it (with some kinda of box at the startup that asks whether you prefer simple or advanced). i know it may sound kinda silly to you, but let's face it, some people just wanna play games with it. ;)

personally, i want to play media, games and hell, why not work on some mods while I'm on the road. i think a desktop environment would suit me great, but i have a little brother so i know what it's like trying to teach him about computer environments, and that's what this kind of thing might attract.

mrlemonyfresh said:
check this one out http://www.linux-xp.com/
it combines linux's good stuff with windows, in a windows layout. wonder it this would work...

true, but it doesn't bother me at all because I'm used to using it :)

Hmm... i wonder if I'm the only non linux user to want a pandora... :)

the problem that this console might have with some people is the very fact that it does indeed run linux (not that I'm saying it's not a good os) but the nds and psp both gave a very, very simple main menu which suits the younger people. perhaps if the developers were to sell this to a larger group of people, they may want to incorporate some kind of quick start typed thing that could come with it (with some kinda of box at the startup that asks whether you prefer simple or advanced). i know it may sound kinda silly to you, but let's face it, some people just wanna play games with it. ;)

personally, i want to play media, games and hell, why not work on some mods while I'm on the road. i think a desktop environment would suit me great, but i have a little brother so i know what it's like trying to teach him about computer environments, and that's what this kind of thing might attract.

What you suggest is exactly what the OS, Pandora ships with, will be . Intuitive, simple and easy to use :wink:
There will be complexer alternatives for more advanced users :)

I think people are connecting linux with the desktop distros (and the terminal) too much...

The pandora linux will not act like ubuntu when it comes to window managing, and you won't need to learn to linux to use the pandora. It will be simple, efficient and user-friendly

I used to often mock Linux because it was "hard to use". "Complicated." Even "stupid", Surely, the realm of people far geekier than myself. Heck, I know computer geeks who shun it.

But i'm a curious creature. I like to explore, to learn. And so I downloaded the Damn Small Linux LiveCD (mostly because at the time, my internet was sloooooow). I burned it, told my pc to boot from the CD drive, and realized it's not such a dark and scary place.

Since then I've purchased a Zaurus which uses linux, i've downloaded more LiveCDs and considered a dedicated linux box to surf the web with and such. I'll always need Windows pretty much, until everyone starts releasing their programs on Linux (and they don't have to be free) but Linux has earned my respect as a "real" OS over the last few years. :)

I guess what i'm saying is that Linux can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be, and I can't wait to see what the Pandora is capable of.

Kyosys said:
I think people are connecting linux with the desktop distros (and the terminal) too much...

The pandora linux will not act like ubuntu when it comes to window managing, and you won't need to learn to linux to use the pandora. It will be simple, efficient and user-friendly
Agreed. You shouldn't need to use linux, but it isn't going to do any harm to learn, especially if you want to have a bit of fun with what's happening on your Pandora.

km2783 said:
I used to often mock Linux because it was "hard to use". "Complicated." Even "stupid", Surely, the realm of people far geekier than myself. Heck, I know computer geeks who shun it.

But i'm a curious creature. I like to explore, to learn. And so I downloaded the Damn Small Linux LiveCD (mostly because at the time, my internet was sloooooow). I burned it, told my pc to boot from the CD drive, and realized it's not such a dark and scary place.

Since then I've purchased a Zaurus which uses linux, i've downloaded more LiveCDs and considered a dedicated linux box to surf the web with and such. I'll always need Windows pretty much, until everyone starts releasing their programs on Linux (and they don't have to be free) but Linux has earned my respect as a "real" OS over the last few years. :)

I guess what i'm saying is that Linux can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be, and I can't wait to see what the Pandora is capable of.
The reason there isn't much commercial linux software isn't because linux users insist that their software is free, it's because most people use windows, linux is not worth it to the companies.

A fair share of windows software can be run already, through wine and crossover office. Even big applications like photoshop, MS office or flash professional

Kyosys said:
The reason there isn't much commercial linux software isn't because linux users insist that their software is free, it's because most people use windows, linux is not worth it to the companies.
And the big companies do not trust linux and are scared they won't keep their code locked down...
Kyosys said:
A fair share of windows software can be run already, through wine and crossover office. Even big applications like photoshop, MS office or flash professional
As this is on a Pandora forum and people have a habit of getting the wrong end of the stick, this is talking about desktop linux; those apps will not be running on Pandora and Wine will not run on Pandora.

TaG said:
Kyosys said:
And the big companies do not trust linux and are scared they won't keep their code locked down...

not exactly. Most big companies use Linux with home brew software, it is "independent software vendors" who do not release much on Linux, and no wonder. Vendor may assume very little about runtime environment where his software will be running on, which means that supporting such software can be potentially very expensive. Also, programmers do not exactly cling to Linux, which means there is not much expertise. Although this is slowly changing, I think.

TaG said:
Kyosys said:
Kyosys said:
As this is on a Pandora forum and people have a habit of getting the wrong end of the stick, this is talking about desktop linux; those apps will not be running on Pandora and Wine will not run on Pandora.
Ah yeah, I should have mentioned that. We get enough of these "will I be able to run team fortress on it?" as is

Anyway, yeah. I think this all might change though, we're already on our way. Eventually open source software will take over the market.

Back