I Want To Revive Turbografx/pc Engine Emulation

Sure, it will not be very hard to port, but you can be sure it will not be fast either. Portable emulators are not meant for performance unless you have rediculous processor power to throw at them.

Maybe I should continue my port I started a year or so ago?

Squidge said:
Sure, it will not be very hard to port, but you can be sure it will not be fast either. Portable emulators are not meant for performance unless you have rediculous processor power to throw at them.

Maybe I should continue my port I started a year or so ago?
I don't think this is the best emulator to port for other reasons. Sure, if you didn't have something else to work with it'd be good, but there already are PC-Engine emulators for GP2X, aren't there? A glance at the graphics code shows that a lot of things aren't implemented and it doesn't look like it was very optimized. The readme pretty much admits that the sound isn't very good (a lot of things aren't implemented there too, but moreover comments indicate that it's arbitrarily hacked to make it sound closer to accurate)

There was a port to GP32 - maybe someone ought to try that. If it can't run well at 166MHz on a GP32 then it's probably not worth moving to GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe I'm the only one mentioning cpce. It funs at full speed with no frameskip at 200mhz. Wouldn't that be a good base to build off of? though the sound isn't perfect it is better than vobbo's emu in that area. the only big thing its missing as far as emulation goes is cd support. but with a base that runs things perfectly at 200mhz it shouldnt be too hard for a good dev to add to it.

it really needs a gui in game, a better front end, and save states in game and then it would be almost perfect. download it here and source code is included in the download.

jbrodack said:
I can't believe I'm the only one mentioning cpce. It funs at full speed with no frameskip at 200mhz. Wouldn't that be a good base to build off of? though the sound isn't perfect it is better than vobbo's emu in that area. the only big thing its missing as far as emulation goes is cd support. but with a base that runs things perfectly at 200mhz it shouldnt be too hard for a good dev to add to it.

it really needs a gui in game, a better front end, and save states in game and then it would be almost perfect. download it here and source code is included in the download.

The sound is terrible in cpce. The speed and pitch in the music are all way off. If you are going to improve an existing emu I think that GP2Xengine one is probably the best one. The sound is good and complete, it has CD support too. The only problem is that it is slow. You would just need to optimise it, add 16-bit GFX palette and it would be very good.

I am not lazy either ;) I can say with 100% certainty that I lack coding skills of any kind.

Squidge said:
Your right, I've got better things to do than a PCE emu.
This hasn't got anything to do with the knowledge that if you would release one, you'd be pestered from day one with comments about how the sound is terrible, the graphics are substandard, the gameplay stutters, the controls suck, and how can this be since a good programmer ought to be able to knock up a decent emu in a few days?

And why on earth can't it be played in a vertical orientation?

<_<

this is something i would actually consider dontaing to.
i would love to have an emu that played dracula x and actually allowed me to save my game.

Moxie: I think thats the problem with most people. Porting and optimising an emu is fine, but I don't think there's enough interest to make a emu much better than there is already that certain people wouldn't instantly slag off.

squidge: well id be happy to see any work was done on the pc engine front. im sure a lot of people would. some people are and would be overly critical but im sure more would just appreciate that there is an effort being done to improve pc engine emulation.

and plounted gp2xengine plays dracula x great and allows saves. yeah you have to overclock but still its not too bad. I don't think that emulator plays shooters well because of frameskip or colors not emulated right or something but dracula x is extremely well emulated and the main reason i have that emulator on my gp2x.

so what cd games play decently on the existing emulator for my gp2x? cause magical adventure popful mail works-but no music.

josh f said:
so what cd games play decently on the existing emulator for my gp2x? cause magical adventure popful mail works-but no music.
GP2Xengine is the only one that I know of that plays CDA. They have to be converted to .WAV format. Good luck getting the .TOC file to actually work correctly. Vobbo's emulator only plays CD and SCD games without audio. He never finished that part sadly. :( Go here for the .toc files though if you are going to use GP2Xengine. http://www.necstasy.net/

Back