Temper Pc-engine/turbografx-16 Emulator V0.5

Thanks Exophase, very nice work!

I do hope that at some point you will GPL the source code so others can learn from your work.

pder said:
Thanks Exophase, very nice work!

I do hope that at some point you will GPL the source code so others can learn from your work.
If that's all you (or others) want then e-mail me and I'll give you (or others) the source.

But if you fork it then I'll fork you, in the eye. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really nice work. Well done exophase!

I also know the menu was hardly your focus, but the feature to load/change/save states from the top menu is something all emus could learn from.

This is excellent. I haven't tested many games yet but what I have have run perfectly. I have to go and play Parasol Stars some more now, thanks for all your hard work.

nixeon4x said:
Finally after waiting so long a PC-engine emulator that works, thanks exophase.
All the games I've tried works great, I look forward to CD, Supergrafx & turbo
button
support. One thing though, the emu crashes to a black screen sometimes
when I load a rom. Non Supergrafx of course, other than that great emu. :lol:
What games does it crash on? I tested a whole stack of games and it has worked flawlessly (even Blazing lazers, this game turned to mush after first midboss on "other" emus). I only found one game that went to a black screen and that was because it was SGFX and I didn't know it :p

Well... I've been on this all night, and I'm very impressed... I've spent some quality time with a number of games, including some that are absolutely gawd-awful in gp2xengine or HU6820, and they run beautifully... I've had two ROMs boot to black screens, but an alternate ROM for the same game worked in both cases (I'm a terrible file-keeper; I never clean out the crap!). Here's what I was at tonight... (GP2X firmware ver. 2.1.0, the emu clock set to 220MHz)

Splatterhouse (J) - to the end of Stage 5, zero issues! super smooth!!

R-Type (US) - the graphics were FULL SCREEN (?!? - this was curious as the other ROMs I played were slightly black barred on the left and right of the screen) and a tiny bit of the right side of the screen was cut off, but it played flawlessly... I only tried one ROM of this; I'll have to try another one to see if the full screen thing happens again...

Ninja Spirit (J) - played through the first three levels and bosses with absolutely no issues...

New Adventure Island - fast, smooth, and exciting as ever... the colors and graphics in this game really are something else!

Blazing Lazers (US) - played beautifully to Area 5 Cleared!

Darius Plus (J) - just two levels but it was schweet!!!

Bonk III (J) - I've had problems with this game in other emu's, but it runs great here (end of level 3)...

Air Zonk (US) - this is a killer game; it came out late in the life of the PCE/TG16, and if anything is gonna make an emulator cry, this is it! I played it through to the end of the third level only, but it ran beautifully. There was the very occasional graphics glitch in the background - at some points, it seemed the scrolling background graphics would appear on the very left hand edge of the screen just before they scrolled into view on the right - but these were rare, and the game played great despite them. This game doesn't run for crap in any other PCE emu on the GP2X...

Devil's Crush (US) - this is one of my favourite games of all time and without a doubt the game I know best on the TurboGrafx-16; the sound and graphics of this game are forever tattooed on my forebrain, and I know immediately if anything is off when playing it in an emulator. I'm thrilled to state that it played magnificently! Smooth, clean, just bloody perfect!!

All told I've spent at least three or four hours on this emu tonight, and I've got to admit I'm thrilled. I was grinning like an idiot through a lot of the play...

The only actual glitch I ran into involved a black screen when trying to launch gp2xengine immediately after exiting Temper. The system hung and I had to reboot, but I don't see this as an issue as I doubt I'll use the other PCE emus much after tonight...

So Exophase, let me be the first to ask: What's your Paypal address? You've earned a couple pints on me! :)

great work especially for a first release . already replaces hu6280 as the emulator to use when you want no frameskipping and everything fast. add in cd support and it will replace gp2xengine as well.

sound support is excellent. didn't realize how much was missing or wrong in other emus til playing this.

I received some random crashes as well when loading roms. at first i though the rom wasn't supported (being a first release of the emu) but then i tried it again and it worked. splatterhouse is an example of one that crashed on load then worked after trying again.

Its nice that you can select which save slot to save to from the main menu but what I would really like is being able to actually save and load from that menu as well. I easily get load and save hotkeys confused so I would really appreciate that.

still as is its already the best pc engine emu we have aside from the lack of cd support. since most of those wanting this emu are extremely critical and have nothing but praise for your emu hopefully that will motivate you to add cd support.

anyway thanks a bunch for this emulator. It was something that people really wanted and you really delivered.

edit: I agree from what you said in the readme that street fighter emulation really isn't needed. We already have it emulated in a bunch of different emus so if support for that game is going to mess up other games it definitely isn't worth it.

jimid2 said:
R-Type (US) - the graphics were FULL SCREEN (?!? - this was curious as the other ROMs I played were slightly black barred on the left and right of the screen) and a tiny bit of the right side of the screen was cut off, but it played flawlessly... I only tried one ROM of this; I'll have to try another one to see if the full screen thing happens again...
So Exophase, let me be the first to ask: What's your Paypal address? You've earned a couple pints on me! :)
Some games were made in higher resolution that is why they fill the screen (actually some of the screen is not shown as the res was higher than 320). There aren't many that do this. Most were made in lower resolution hence the borders on the sides.

jbrodack said:
sound support is excellent. didn't realize how much was missing or wrong in other emus til playing this.
Yeah I never heard anyone say how poor sound was in the other emus ;)

Great work as always Exophase! :)
Also congrats on making probably the first emulator made from scratch for the GP2X! A milestone release indeed! :)

Exophase said:
Not likely, PSP already has good enough PC-Engine emulators right?
I like your emus ;). But yes, you're right there is a good version running fullspeed on many games, but it doesn't work on slim and the source code is too old to be compiled with latest SDK (but i will try to re-compile this one for fw3x).

Once you've experience fullspeed emulation, it's very addictive and hard to go back to anything that isn't.

Everything is so smooth, sounds are crisp - it's better than a PC Engine GT by a country mile!

Excellent emulator - great success!

Thanks Exophase, lovely job. I am glad you're developing for the GP2X. Don't get me wrong, I like the PSP but I love my GP2X. :D

Really looking forward to seeing CD emulation on this, it's going to be jaw dropping good. I hope that is still on the agenda.

jbrodack said:
I received some random crashes as well when loading roms. at first i though the rom wasn't supported (being a first release of the emu) but then i tried it again and it worked. splatterhouse is an example of one that crashed on load then worked after trying again.
jimid2 said:
The only actual glitch I ran into involved a black screen when trying to launch gp2xengine immediately after exiting Temper. The system hung and I had to reboot, but I don't see this as an issue as I doubt I'll use the other PCE emus much after tonight...
Sadly both of these are true, and what's worse is that they're not the least bit reproduceable :( I'll try to investigate.. hope something comes up. If any GP2X experts want to look at the source and see if they can find problems here please let me know.

jimid2 said:
Air Zonk (US) - this is a killer game; it came out late in the life of the PCE/TG16, and if anything is gonna make an emulator cry, this is it! I played it through to the end of the third level only, but it ran beautifully. There was the very occasional graphics glitch in the background - at some points, it seemed the scrolling background graphics would appear on the very left hand edge of the screen just before they scrolled into view on the right - but these were rare, and the game played great despite them. This game doesn't run for crap in any other PCE emu on the GP2X...
Yes, this is an annoying bug that seems timing related. I've looked into it with no real luck, and what's worse, it seems to vary in severity each time you play. I think it only happens in the first level though.

jbrodack said:
Its nice that you can select which save slot to save to from the main menu but what I would really like is being able to actually save and load from that menu as well. I easily get load and save hotkeys confused so I would really appreciate that.
Press A on the option in the menu :B (hence why there are two options and not just "select slot") I don't really like the hot keys that much either, you might want to disable them entirely.

jimid2 said:
exophase@gmail.com :>

Hopefully will work on CD-ROM some time, but still working on some other things first (optimization mainly)

Works like a charm, great emulator with a nice menu including enough configure options (always love emulators with savestate + snapshot option),
And command line support, yeah! Terrific release, indeed adding CD-ROM would be nice but I guess that sounds a bit greedy after this superb release.

One problem, the emulator crashes on me the second time I try to enter the emulator resulting in a black screen (I am using gmenu2x 0.9 on a F200). I think you already noticed that yourself.

I am enjoying a lot his "Temper" :) Thank you very much Exo ^_^

I have found a bug:If you press the 4 pad directional buttons in Die Hard(J) the character goes mad/crazy :D

Rivroner said:

I have found a bug:If you press the 4 pad directional buttons in Die Hard(J) the character goes mad/crazy :D
Don't know what you mean, moving the character works fine for me...

Exophase said:
Rivroner said:

Don't know what you mean, moving the character works fine for me...

Yes, my english is not very good :D

I mean that if you press the new F200 D-Pad (all the 4 buttons at the same time) the character stops and spin in the same place if you try to move again after pressing the 4 d-pad buttons.

Sorry for my bad english :D :(

jimid2 said:
Bonk III (J) - I've had problems with this game in other emu's, but it runs great here (end of level 3)...

well, i've finished Bonk III on gp2xengine and it has no issues, CD version, don't know about the hu-card.
Same for Air Zonk, CD version runs fine on gp2xengine too :)

btw this emu is faster, have slots for savestates and it's nicer to use, with CD support and all will be a truly killer app on gp2x

Back