Temper Pc-engine/turbografx-16 Emulator V0.55

slaanesh said:
So you have the US model Turbo Duo? You're missing out on some of those Japanese games that never made it to the US. Unless you have one of those Kisado converters?
Well honestly I don't have a Duo anymore :eek: I kind of miss it though.

I sold it off after getting a used NeoGeo cheap many years ago. I no longer have the Neo anymore either though. With emus as good as they are I don't really need them except maybe for the Duo. I don't have a TV now days that would display it well. Composite and S-video is best displayed on older CRT standard def sets, which I no longer have.

I do still have a TurboExpress with a bunch of HuCards. That is now pretty redundant considering how well Temper runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
geise69 said:
Also Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire has nothing to do with the Aleste series. Compile did not make that game. I think you might be getting it confused with Spriggan or Spriggan 2. Both of those games are great. Especially the first Spriggan. Spriggan 2 is side scrolling, so it makes it feel less like an Aleste series game.
No I mean Ginga. I was surprised too but I found this snippet on Aleste in wikipedia. Of course it might be totally wrong.

Haha...yeah that's totally wrong. Sapphire is not part of any series, and they don't even have Spriggan in there. I don't know who wrote that wiki. Oh well. Either way it's still a pretty nice game. Not worth the money it's going for, but it's still a nice game. I'm lucky enough to have purchased it right when it was released. I had no idea at the time it was going to go for those prices, and that was just a couple years after it's release.

@DaveC: Yeah I still have my Duo and it's hooked up to my TV. It's a regular TV so it looks quite nice :) When I do upgrade to a HD TV I'm still never going to get rid of my regular tv. I have to have it so I can hook my Duo up to it. I don't think I could play my Duo on anything else. Emulating my Duo at home is pointless for me since I still use it. It is nice to have Temper though so I can rock out some Duo stuff while my wife is watching a TV show or whatever.

Anyways I'm excited that CD-Rom support is being worked on. I hope that Exophase won't have too much trouble. There's going to be some nice donations heading his way soon.

Arcade shooters is the main reason I like the PC Engine so much - it's always been my favorite genre of arcade game. I probably have a slight preference to vertical shooters but the likes of R-Type, Gradius and Aeroblasters makes sure they don't totally dominate my schmup gaming.

Aleste is probably my favorite 8-bit* shooter. I've played it loads on DrSMS on my GP32 amd SMSAdvance on my GBA. I've loaded up Aleste on fMSX32 so I'm looking forward to giving that a try too.

*Strictly speaking the PC Engine is 8-bit - the Hu6280 is a souped up 6502 but the wonderful Hu6260 encoder and Hu6270 video chips are 16-bit so it's an "in-between" system really. I tend to group the PC Engine alongside Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo.

geise69 said:
@DaveC: Yeah I still have my Duo and it's hooked up to my TV. It's a regular TV so it looks quite nice :) When I do upgrade to a HD TV I'm still never going to get rid of my regular tv. I have to have it so I can hook my Duo up to it. I don't think I could play my Duo on anything else. Emulating my Duo at home is pointless for me since I still use it. It is nice to have Temper though so I can rock out some Duo stuff while my wife is watching a TV show or whatever.

Anyways I'm excited that CD-Rom support is being worked on. I hope that Exophase won't have too much trouble. There's going to be some nice donations heading his way soon.
I have thought about getting a Duo again maybe on ebay or something. Then again if Temper eventually runs CD then there won't be much point for me to do that. If not the Pandora surely will as it is powerful enough to run a sloppy port from the PC. I kind of like emus on the GP2X that run good because of nice clean crafted code and hard work though like Temper, Picodrive, GnGeo etc. It is more amazing to me to see something run so well on less than stellar and not so uber powerful hardware such as the GP2X.

DaveC said:
It is more amazing to me to see something run so well on less than stellar and not so uber powerful hardware such as the GP2X.
And it's more fun to program for a less powerful machine.
To utilise the maximum potential of (say) the Pandora will involve a lot more time and effort - more than many people can spare I would guess; but I'm sure that machine will get a multitude of ports initially.

Duddyroar said:
Oh boy...when this emulator has CD-ROM support it will be one of the best for the machine, I've been playing it constantly! Amazing work! :D
Ya, I hope Exophase will have time to add the CD-ROM support! I've been playing this emulator a lot over the past few weeks, and it's really solid... One of the best EMUs on the system, I think!!

Back