Temper Pc-engine/turbografx-16 Emulator V0.7

Exophase said:
slaanesh said:
Screen width scaling is awesome! All those damn Irem games use the fat mode and you get a fair chunk of truncated graphics.

Will the scaling go both ways? Will regular screens go "full" screen as well?
Actually, that's the only way it goes (from 256 to 320). I'm not really interested in fixing up 341 to 320. A real TV wouldn't show an awful lot of that either. The important thing was adding centering, which I did.

That's a bummer.

Most of those Irem games are actually 352x224 which means there's 32 pixels missing or 1/10 of the screen.
I know this isn't a lot (not as bad as CPS1/CPS2 games which are 384 pixels wide) but still significant IMHO.

If I say pretty please with sugar on top would that help? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
I might reconsider the sprite delimiting option if someone sends me a good savestate illustrating where it could help.
It happens in "Cotton". I can send you a save state of this. Do you have that .cue/.bin for testing?

There are other games which exhibit this feature but I'd have to go through some again which I'm happy to do.

DaveC said:
Is that using the smooth type like Picodrive or just the blocky scaling method? If smooth does it effect speed much?

Thanks again for the great work.
It's filtered, same algorithm as Picodrive (came upon it by chance). Speed hit isn't that bad. I was already accidentally doing something that cost more than the speed hit to begin with, I think.

That's a bummer.

Most of those Irem games are actually 352x224 which means there's 32 pixels missing or 1/10 of the screen.
I know this isn't a lot (not as bad as CPS1/CPS2 games which are 384 pixels wide) but still significant IMHO.

If I say pretty please with sugar on top would that help? smile.gif

A real TV will usually show no more than 256 pixels in mode 0, which at the same aspect ratio means 341 pixels at mode 1. That means that 11 of those pixels were already being thrown away. Actually, a lot of TVs cut off even more than that, giving an actual amount as low as 240 pixels wide (Super Mario Bros 3 and Kirby's Adventure even relied on this). Notice how say, in Bonk's Revenge, the game doesn't let the player get flush against the edge of the 256 wide screen. The 240 pixels mentioned correlates to 320 pixels in mode 1, which is what you're getting.

My tester has already confirmed that no game cuts off anything even close to important in those pixels (not with centering anyway). Doing scaling for it means using a totally different algorithm, and it'd still be weird. The best I could probably do is 352-330, meaning you'd still lose some of those pixels you think are necessary. But it'd require having to do 16 pixels to 15, which is more annoying than 4 to 5.

slaanesh said:
It happens in "Cotton". I can send you a save state of this. Do you have that .cue/.bin for testing?

There are other games which exhibit this feature but I'd have to go through some again which I'm happy to do.
Don't have it. Would prefer a HuCard game.

Exophase said:
It's filtered, same algorithm as Picodrive (came upon it by chance). Speed hit isn't that bad. I was already accidentally doing something that cost more than the speed hit to begin with, I think.
That is cool. As you know I am not a huge fan of scaling at all but that method doesn't look too bad for some reason as compared with bi-linear etc. Sometimes I use it, sometimes not depending on the game.

The wide games don't really bother me much. I know some old TVs overscanned so much that you could barely see the score sometimes on any game. If you did want to mess with it the source is out for the CPS2 emu and it used some similar horizontal software mode that looked OK. That could be used as an example. Again though it is not bad centered as you say because of overscan. It looks sharp at 1:1 and scaling down tends to make scrolling rippley anyway.

Thanks for everything.

I tested a lot of "wide" PCE games, and I find that most of them don't suffer from being cropped off. A lot of the RPGs for example, still have all the menus and status bars inside of the visable area. There are a few that would benefit from the extra bit of area though..

Im more looking forward to the stretched render option. A lot of games have a "pinched" look, due to being intended for a TV aspect ratio.

Duddyroar said:
Exophase said:
Duddyroar said:
I'm pretty sure I'm not converting the bin, I'm typing in the command manually so surely there's no way XP could pick the bin over the cue, is there?
I already know that the versions I posted won't work with your bin/cues.

This one might though.

http://exophase.devzero.co.uk/bin_cue_to_iso_ogg.exe

File not found on this server :(

Try again now, sorry.

I'm going through some medical issues right now so I won't be able to work on anything probably, at least for a few days ;_;

I'm going through some medical issues right now so I won't be able to work on anything probably, at least for a few days ;_;
[/quote]

get well soon :) :)

Duddyroar said:
Sorry, I should have said that I get that error message when I actually run the program. The error appears in the cmd line box.
Use the one in the zip, that thing before wasn't even the exe :/

Ok, tried that one, it says 'loading cue file XXX.cue' (XXX being whatever game I'm trying to convert) then I get the usual 'Windows must close this program, blah, blah, blah' dialog box, just like before.

Is there something on my system that might be causing this?

Duddyroar said:
Ok, tried that one, it says 'loading cue file XXX.cue' (XXX being whatever game I'm trying to convert) then I get the usual 'Windows must close this program, blah, blah, blah' dialog box, just like before.

I heard at some point that the utility (and probably Temper itself...) doesn't like certain characters in the filenames. Maybe you could post the name, but if Temper loads it then I wouldn't think the program would have a problem with it...

Exophase said:
Duddyroar said:

I heard at some point that the utility (and probably Temper itself...) doesn't like certain characters in the filenames. Maybe you could post the name, but if Temper loads it then I wouldn't think the program would have a problem with it...

The one I'm trying to convert is Ys...so the filename is 'Ys'. No special characters or anything.

Cheers for your help with this BTW!

Duddyroar said:
The one I'm trying to convert is Ys...so the filename is 'Ys'. No special characters or anything.

Cheers for your help with this BTW!
See if you can find me on gmail, we'll get this working one way or another. You might want to see if you can rar split it and get it uploaded somewhere so I can try to work with it myself.

The scary part of my health problems is over (the actual surgery) so I just have to recover from that (ow ow gas pain) and I'll be all good. Gotta figure out whatever little things I wanted to wrap up so I can get the latest Temper out. Here's the changelog so far:

# Fixed transfer operation bug that caused Shadow of the Beast and Steam
Hearts to not work.
# Fixed branch bug that caused Sidearms Special to not work, but at a slight
performance expense.
# Added back timer IRQ acknowledgement on IRQ enable read, seems to fix
Afterburner II.
@ Expanded idle loop detection to handle some more games, meaning more speed
in a few with the option on (Sapphire, Blazing Lasers, etc)
@ Wrote sprite rendering in ARM ASM, improvement of up to 1ms or more in
frame rendering.
@ Wrote line fill in ARM ASM, small improvement sometimes (0.2ms in Blazing
Lasers title screen)
@ Accidentally had something in the video rendering that shouldn't have been
there, frees up 1.3ms per frame.
+ Added the ability to width scale the screen from 256 to 320. See options
section for more details.
+ Added the ability to not limit the number of sprites per scanline. See options
section for more details.

I haven't had any problems with Might & Magic 3 so I think that was fixed too, although if anyone can cleanly tell me how to reproduce a crash I can tell for sure. I'll be checking out a crash in Xanadu 2 soon.

I'd like to do OGG on 940T and SuperGrafx at some point but there's still lots of numbers before 1.0 so I'll probably hold those off.

Back