I Will Pay Someone To Unbrick My Unit

kappel_ml

Still Fresh
Hey I just bought a gp2x off of ebay, and it worked great exept it wouldnt read sd cards, btw firm ver 2.1.0
anyway i tried to downgrade to 2.0.0 and accidentally bricked it when i turned off the power after about 20 mins into the firmware upgrading screen. Now the screen boots to- guess what, nothing. it instantly shows the colored lines, hard to see as there is no backlight now, at first I thought it was a black screen but when I looked closer i noticed that there were lines there.

I tried the djwillis guide to unbricking but it looks like the uboot is screwed, at least to me anyway as i dont have a jtag set up or the base to do the unbricking.

The point is I will pay someone in the us to unbrick it for me. Of course it will be whoever can do it for the cheapest, but I want to get it to fw 2.1.1 or whatever came before 3.0 If anyone out here can do it for me, Im sure the 30 mins of work will be well worth it. Im thinking about 40 bucks or so...let me know if thats reasonable, if not we can talk, I just want it to work YESTERDAY!!!

I spent 160 on it, i should have grabbed a new one to begin with...

To be honest Im in over my head here, If someone knows how to do it I will be happy to pay shipping back and forth and to pay for your time. Or if anyone knows how to setup a jtag let me know...

The problem is, most of the people who have used JTAG a lot live in Europe or Australasia :).

Gruntfuggly said:
Err, if there is no backlight, and you are getting coloured lines - isn't it a power issue?
Nope, that is very common with bricks also (it all depends what garbage is on the NAND and what effect that has on the hardware to be honest, I have seen all manor of different 'effects' ;)).

That said, I was assuming kappel_ml had ruled out power, maybe your right. kappel_ml, you have tried new batts and/or a PSU?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I did rule out power, I used a brand new four pack and also checked them with my meter. just to be sure. The real reason I wanted to keep it state side is so i could run down anyone who tried to rip me off, I would have no problem shipping it to europe to have someone who is a god on the gp2x scene fix it. With that being said, send me your address to kappel_ml@yahoo.com, depending on the postage, i will get it shipped to you sooner or later this week.

kappel_ml said:
No, I did rule out power, I used a brand new four pack and also checked them with my meter. just to be sure. The real reason I wanted to keep it state side is so i could run down anyone who tried to rip me off, I would have no problem shipping it to europe to have someone who is a god on the gp2x scene fix it. With that being said, send me your address to kappel_ml@yahoo.com, depending on the postage, i will get it shipped to you sooner or later this week.
If you want me to fix it drop me an email (I will sure as hell forget to send you one if I dont have an email to mark, I tend to use email tasks to try and keep on top of things or I forget stuff).

John

DJWillis said:
kappel_ml said:
If you want me to fix it drop me an email (I will sure as hell forget to send you one if I dont have an email to mark, I tend to use email tasks to try and keep on top of things or I forget stuff).

John

Thanks, I did send you an email via the boards, let me know if you get it ok...I tried to send you an email off of an old website a couple of days ago, but it bounced. I couldnt find your email address anywhere else on here tho, but thanx again for all your help.

Back