I woke up wondering if today would be the day "they" come for me.

This place, quite long and cramped, has been weathering numerous tremors since we have been within its walls. We assume the previous owners, whom we never met, were surely artists, or perhaps, even from the circus, based on what we can see of the rather flamboyant paint scheme. Aside from this, we have been unable to figure out much about whom they were or where they went, as they seem to have gone without a trace.

Our own efforts to escape in order to learn more about what happened to them, or what is happening to us have proven in vain; this has been a daily topic amongst those of us who are left. Some think all the noises outside must be coming from them, and that they could even be the ones responsible for the disappearances; I don't know what to think anymore...

Lately, my siblings, who I have always been so close with, are being abducted at random hours and taken through the only way in or out, which is normally shut tight, never to be seen again. I'm beginning to think we're actually cursed, and though I am uncertain, I could swear this place might actually be getting shorter, perhaps also collapsing in on itself! So here we spend our days, confined within this dump that has possibly been condemned, until…oh no! No, no, no, it's happening again! Panic and fear seem to have rendered those that remain as witnesses to this atrocity, paralyzed. I find myself unable to put up any resistance against this force as it pulls me away from my loved ones.

Overwhelmed by what is happening to me, I find myself taken towards the top of a strange contraption. Moments later, I am dropped into a cavity scarcely larger than myself; the horrible smell that lingers in this place is somehow familiar... I look around and take stock of my new surroundings, but to my horror, scattered everywhere beneath me I see evidence of the charred remains of those I'd once knew!

[SIZE=11pt]            The shock from all that I've been through recently was just so much to bear that it took me a moment to realize the walls had started to glow. Not only that, but the air was becoming increasingly warmer, no, not just warmer, but hotter, in fact too hot!! My once fair color, now turning black, the pain unbearable, my last thoughts as I stand trapped, slowly burning to death in this narrow cage, touch on the cryptic writing I'd glimpsed, partially obscured on the side of what had been my family's prison at the start of this madness, which read as: "und_r B_ad". Had this been some sort of warning? A word of caution for those who would enter, about what their fate may entail? I can only hope those of my family that still remain are able to unravel the mystery before they meet a similar demise...[/SIZE]

~ Author’s note: ~

Thank you for reading this short story I have written, entitled "Wonder Dread", in the spirit of Halloween today. I hope everyone understands why I didn't want to put the title at the top of the story where it belongs. Though the title I have chosen is essential; simply couldn't be anything else but what is; to place it at the beginning would have quite surely ruined something...

Happy Halloween!

Last edited by a moderator:
What a painful way to die. I really wonder what the motive for murdering these people were, if any.
Thanks, twas an awesome read. Love it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Halloween read.

What a painful way to die. I really wonder what the motive for murdering these people were, if any.
Thanks, twas an awesome read. Love it!

SONY-

In case you were being serious, motive = toast. "People"=slices of bread.

:)

Back