x68000 said:
How many more email variations can he use to re-register? <_<

NEW FORUM RULE:

All new members will be treated as the Red Baron until proven otherwise
Thanks for fixing it I am now only Red Baron
Thanks again
Oh geez <_< LOL just kidding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, anybody remember that fishtank guy from a while back? Man, I miss him....

Na-Noo said:
Wifi will not hold it up, it will ship even if it's not working and will get fixed afterwards.
You can't really do that. Imagine the scenario:

Device released without Wifi support.
10,000 devices sold.
After a few more months the Wifi still isn't fixed.
Eventually they decide that either they can't fix the Wifi, or that the hardware is the problem.

So, you can't prove that you can fix it later until you have already fixed it.

It's not like it's just missing a fancy graphical frontend.

Purely my opinion, but i think it will ship as soon as the units are assembled and pass QC, regardless if WiFi is fully functional or not.

Poll anyone? :rolleyes:

the wifi issue is internal io afaik, the board is designed to spec, there is no hardware problem, the issue is with the last kernel update from what I read, if that is the case, then just go back to the last working kernel, yes?, or are there important fixes in the newest kernel version they don't want to discard?

Squidge said:

10,000 devices sold.
Eventually they decide that either they can't fix the Wifi, or that the hardware is the problem.

I know that buying a wifi module is different than buying a consumer wifi card, but are they talking to (TI or whoever makes the wifi module?) for their opinion on what could be the problem and how to correct it? My sys admin buddies buy crap all the time from Dell & HP then jerry rig their own crap into it and ask for help on how to fix it... surprisingly they usually get an good answer from the tier 3 geniuses that work there.

WiFi is not a big deal to me. i really just want it for the gaming. im fine with a wifi stick to log on do what it gotta do then take it out.

sryidc said:
WiFi is not a big deal to me. i really just want it for the gaming. im fine with a wifi stick to log on do what it gotta do then take it out.
I (and I'm sure loads of others) agree.. But failure to implement working wifi isn't really an option at this point, since is was promised. I'm sure they'll sort it out eventually, though. :)

hobbyman II said:
the board is designed to spec, there is no hardware problem,
Spoken like a true engineer :)

Hardware guy: "It can't possibly be the hardware, it must be the software".
Software guy: "It can't possibly be the software, the hardware must be faulty".
Repeat until one of them goes "Ah.. Oops, actually..."

One of the first things you learn is "It's designed to spec" means nothing. Designed to the intended spec? The written spec? Or how you interpreted the spec?

My worry is not the wifi ,i recon the hardware is fine but i do worry about
the cases ,like Ed says about the possibility of them not fitting properly
and also about quality of the finish.Nobody knows and OP must have their
hearts in their mouths right about now thinking the worst as they gave the
green light to go ahead and mass produce the cases before being very sure
about it.

Wifi i would imagine will be fixed/patched or hacked to work in a reasonable
manor and yes maybe they will get it to work 100% along the way but i don't
expect it to work right now ,remember there is going to be a second batch and so on
and this is a dream made device to it won't be left for dust like some Nintendo
products i could think of,and just for the record i actually think wifi and blue tooth
not working overall would be a deal breaker for me but i simply don't see it never
working being the case.

Squidge said:
Na-Noo said:
Wifi will not hold it up, it will ship even if it's not working and will get fixed afterwards.

10,000 devices sold.

They just can't delay indefinitely when the hardware is made and sitting there. As they don't know how long it will take them to fix. If it's only them looking could be fixed by tonight or in couple months.

Maybe if it's not working they'll give people the option to defer to second batch.
They've already said it wont delay delivery.
I'll look for quote tomorrow if it's not in quotes thread.

I'm sure it's a deal breaker for some, others couldn't careless, and rest want it but are willing to have the hardware and wait/hope for a fix.

Gricey said:
And thats why you have your BA or whoever drafted the spec meet with the devs, prototype, and review at key points, and finally have acceptance testing ;-)
Your BA or ME or PhD or whatever have you is just a piece of paper. It doesn't give you superhuman powers of never making a mistake, all it usually means is that you know what you're talking about when words about your particular field come out of your mouth. Usually.
MWeston has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt in my mind that he knows what he's talking about (I don't even know if he has a degree, let alone what kind, but for argument sake let's assume it isn't an electrical engineering degree*). If, after all the work he's put into it, he has made a mistake, then ANYONE, fancy degree or not, could have made or overlooked that mistake.

Regarding the WiFi, I could have sworn that a dummy program was written way way back that talked directly to the hardware, a kind of microkernel if you will, and that this test kernel was able to connect, send, and receive data, which proved the hardware worked. If memory serves me, this would have been mid 2008, with the... second I think... revision of the board. This being a year and a half later, I may be mixing things up as I tend to. I remember two things for certain: there was a test package; and it was a big deal when someone was finally able to get a stable connection. I don't think there's a problem with the hardware, proving it is just a complete pain.

*of course, it probably is

Didn't they say the wifi was working to an extent, just not up to full speed? Something like 50KB/s, which is perfectly usable for basic web browsing or chatting or something. If they got it working at all, I figure they'll be able to get it working the rest of the way, and the current state is hardly a reason to not get a pandora.

WizardStan said:
Gricey said:
And thats why you have your BA or whoever drafted the spec meet with the devs, prototype, and review at key points, and finally have acceptance testing ;-)
Your BA or ME or PhD or whatever have you is just a piece of paper.
I think he meant "Business Associate" or something, not "Bachelor of Arts".

LOL, BA in EE. EE is BS, duh.

Squidge said:

10,000 devices sold.

Now imagine that, even if they do eventually fix it, what that'll mean to warranties. Will they extend the warranties until all driver support is complete? How will anyone know if they got a bum wi-fi chip, or that the antenna isn't installed, or whatever?

As long as products like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162030&Tpk=WLI-UC-GN
are available for less than $30, I'm not going to sweat this too much.
It is a very, very small WIFI module with reportedly very good Linux driver compatibility.
Hell, you even get the upgrade from wireless G to N for the price.

But, as with my Nokia Internet Tablets, as soon as these mostly open source products hit the public, the bugs get smashed with a quickness.

Don't despair about this, it will be fine in the end.

j.pickens said:
As long as products like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162030&Tpk=WLI-UC-GN
are available for less than $30, I'm not going to sweat this too much.

Wow, that's pretty small, and not a bad price.
And indeed, appears to work fine in Linux.
Sounds like a good fallback to me.
(Not that I think we'll need one)

Gruso said:
fishtank said:
When I was working for a big company I asked the big boss why did the sales department determine when a product being designed by there engineers was finished and not the engineers, he replied if we left it to the engineers they would never finish, they would always find improvements so sales determines if the product is ready to sell
I wonder if this is the problem with the Pandora it is being left to the engineers to say when it's finished and not sales?
Not really. The engineering (hardware anyway) finished the day they gave the case factory the green light, critical fixes aside. Now they're pushing to ship, which would be the sales phase in your example.

sorry gruso, but you seem to forget that regarding the case we are still in the (admittedly late) prototyping phase. the green light was until now never really green and at the moment we just hope it will now be.

latest news from the case was - a reply by ED - that a 'minor glitch' had been ironed out which caused the latest delays.

so i guess the original poster is not that far off the mark.

Back