Idea - Pandora games showcase

Fzero

Advanced Member
I've a thought I'd like to run past you guys, especially ED but really to all of you.

Thinking about doing a site which shows the games available for Pandora.

The aim;

To be more of a showcase type site

To show only games, not other apps

To show only ports done specifically for Pandora and new games developed specifically for Pandora, no emulator games

I would get the list of games and their screenshots from the Repo site.

I like the Repo, though think it doesn't offer a very 'instant visual' thing, you really just see the games shortcut icon and title and need to drill down to see screenshots.

This would be more focused on the screenshots, people like screenshots right? I know I do, and it hopefully would help people quickly see if the game looks nice to them - Though I know screenshots aren't the be all and end all.

I't literally would be that, no reviews of my own [perhaps in the future as I get chance to play them though?]

Each title would link to the official Repo, where user can get more info and actually d/l the game of course.

It would be made clear that the site is not official, and would link to the official sites like here, the Repo, Wiki, Blog, DragonBox.

What do you think of this?

I ask ED, as I would like to reference the Pandora logo, also copy screenshots, which I'm not sure if would be ok to do or each games developer would have to permit this?

I ask everyone, if you'd like to see a site where you basically are able to see a load of screenshot thumbs, sortable by category like 'Puzzle', 'RPG'. 'Action', 'Arcade' etc...

EDIT:

Have uploaded current progress to here: Pandora Games Showcase 

Last edited by a moderator:
I find certain people's youtube channels a good way of getting a quick understanding of a game. It'd be nice if you could integrate such videos into your database as well.

Maybe the repo could be modded a bit in this direction?

Different corners for games, emulators and other applications and videos would be nice, ptitSeb startet including IngoReis' videos and that is a good start.

Could certainly see if I can find a YT preview of each game and link to that as well from the enlarged view of the games thumbnail.

Or the Repo having a more showcase feel for games would be good. Just think it's nice to have a screen full of screenshots, like when looking at the physical boxes of games in a shop, you flip over and peruse the screenies of all the games

Yes, our collection is so big by now, that one could really need this rather than just names to choose.

It would be great marketing too, because people have no idea what "comes with the package for free" now

and are always surprised when they look deeper into the repo AFTER buying their Pandora.

This is a very good idea!

Please focus especially on games designed specifically for the Pandora or where the port was more than just a simple recompile but actually involved changing the screen layout and controls etc.

So for example, in my case: focus on Microbes and NubNub, and skip stuff like Endgame:Singularity or GCompris which are relatively simple ports of stuff that would be easily available in any large GNU/Linux distribution.

Also, screenshots don't work very well for games like NubNub (and even Microbes) that have simplistic graphics. A gameplay video is better.

It would be nice to also include short reviews of the games, and maybe some kind of scores to better indicate what kind of game it is, e.g.

- Strategy: *

- Dexterity: ****

- Patience: **

- Logic: *

etc.

and perhaps also some scores to indicate how polished it is, e.g.:

- Graphics: 8/10

- Sound effects: 4/10

- Music: 6/10

- Rendering speed: OK or too slow or n/a

etc.

But don't let my suggestions slow you down - just start with something and add more stuff to it later if you feel like it :)

@ekianjo, Yeah I like your section there, especially with those screenshots being shown actually on a Pandora screen.

I'd just have the screens as images, not the Pandora computer wrapper ... but would be showing a lot more titles, hopefully in time every game that's on the Repo.

@_wb_, I will start on this tonight then, and then upload a WIP page to show what I mean more visually. I like the idea of reviews, but I cannot add those myself, I might add a commend on each game that reads something along lines of:

"Got a review for this game? Submit it here and it will be added"

...with a form submission that is mailed to me and I can then add it.

My concern is permission on using the screenshots on the Repo, guess I need ED to give the OK on that front

At least for the games that are free to redistribute (not the commercial ones or the ones under restrictive gratis licenses), you don't need permission to use those screenshots. Those screenshots are part of the PND, and since the PND itself is free to redistribute, so are the screenshots.

My concern is permission on using the screenshots on the Repo, guess I need ED to give the OK on that front
Technically the screenshots are copyright of the uploader, so ED CAN'T legally give his permission on that. When an uploader uploaded his PND he gave permission for the PND repo to display the screenshots.

I guess if we wanted to be strict about this there would be another tickbox on the repo to allow content reuse in partner websites... or something.

However, that being said, I reckon that this is pretty much something that falls under "Fair Use" so you could just use the screenshots from the repo (maybe even create a repo image scraper) and make it easy to remove any screens, should someone have an issue with their use?

EDIT:

At least for the games that are free to redistribute (not the commercial ones or the ones under restrictive gratis licenses), you don't need permission to use those screenshots. Those screenshots are part of the PND, and since the PND itself is free to redistribute, so are the screenshots.
This might not be the case. sometimes a different license is applied to game assets. Moreover, the PND itself may well be redistributable as an entity, this does not mean that this transfers to distributing the individual files separately.

I think every repo thing should have its own wiki section where you can for example post youtube links and do all other things but replicate the repo.

Fields could be, link to forumpost, videolink, story.

Just embed the wikipage instead of editing that section on a per-developer basis. Mediawiki handles video fine.

Lets add video to the repo, not fork videos somewhere else. They are already on youtube and other places.

However, that being said, I reckon that this is pretty much something that falls under "Fair Use" so you could just use the screenshots from the repo (maybe even create a repo image scraper) and make it easy to remove any screens, should someone have an issue with their use?
Agreed, imho screenshot are not assets. It is just that : a plain screen grab. Anyone could have done the same. Feel free to reuse my screenshots as you like.
EDIT :

Lets add video to the repo, not fork videos somewhere else. They are already on youtube and other places.
That have been requested several time to milkshake already...

Screenshots are probably "fair use" anyway, even for commercial stuff.

It would be really weird if you allow a PND to be redistributed freely but not the screenshots that are inside it - but I suppose it is a possibility. Even then, "fair use" probably still applies and you can safely ignore those strange wishes of the copyright holder.

So don't worry, just do your thing :)

I'll add a line in the footer that reads the usual type disclaimer, that if any respective copyright owners wish there image to be removed contact me and they'll be taken off the site.

I also don't imagine anyone would have a problem with it, it's only promotion if anything and I wouldn't be editing the images or claiming as my own or anything suspect :)

For what it is worth, you are more than welcome to use the KAMI RETRO screenshots, in fact if you wanted other promotional material for the game (banners, videos, etc.) that could also be arranged.

@Steven Craft,ok thanks, when I have the main thumbs page up and running and then can start adding more text/images/vids for each game I'll get back to you for those 

it sounds stupid and stuff but I actually made a list full of games that are worthy to play on pandora taking consideration the graphics and the gameplay.

I could share it if anyone is ineterested to have aa list of nice games to showcase

I'll have it :)

Is it a copy/paste list you can PM me, or just up it in here even if you want

I can post it here it is huge but I will post it anyway if mods or other members dont like the outstanding number of games in the  list then I will edit my post....

well anyway here I go:

Spoiler'd - Binky

1-ProtoType

2-Audiorace

3-CromoZone

4-Albion

5-Thruster

6-Uplink

7-Super Methane Bros

8-Meritous

9-Narcissu

10-The Maze of Galious Remake