Idea: Wrist Mounted Pandora

chosen

Still Fresh
Website
owen-m.com
Random idea: Wrist mounted Pandora / Pandora-watch

The wrist strap can stay on and the Pandora can click into/out of it, so you can use your Pandora 2-handed for a while before putting it back on your wrist.

When in the wrist mount, you have both hands free, but can also open the Pandora and type with your other hand. (remember the calculator watches lol)

Possibly glue the clip part to the back of Pandora.... ? Or maybe screws or bolts

Is it feasible?

Is it a good idea?

Someone gimp a mock-up please. :pandora2ut4:

t10predator.jpg

What time you got?

Affixing a Pandora to your wrist and wearing it out in public as a watch may get you some strange looks.. very strange looks.

If it manages to initiate a nuclear explosion, I'd say go for it :)

Regarding feasibility check this pic. The fixation mechanism shouldn't be attached to the battery cover.
DSC07148.jpg

I think it's pretty awesome - you just need appropriately sized wrists.
It sounds more comfortable than those phone watches from Chinavasion. I have one, but I haven't used it for calls... Doesn't sound like a pleasant experience.

I would imagine that the best way of making something like this would be to adapt a pattern for one of those arm-bands that are intended for carrying an iPhone or the like. Off the top of my head, I'm not entirely sure how to accommodate being able to open the Pandora, though. :p

(I may have a link to a pattern, but it's on my other machine, which I don't have access to at this particular moment. :p If you want it, I'll try to post it up later.)

OK - so, no matter how you do this you will look like a fool.

So, accepting that...

The Pandora consoles thickness is going to be a killer for this. Making it thinner is simple. Remove the battery and run the base plastic through a band saw (safety glasses, etc...). You'll want to check the design & stuff first, but if I understand it right this should leave the inside plastic layer from the battery compartment in tact and shave off about 1/3 of the device.

Build your wrist strap with the Pandora on one side and it's battery on the other - or multiple batteries if you want the extra armor effect.

Next you're going to want an HMD. This one should work:
http://www.vrealities.com/eyetopcentra.html

At that point you should be able to cut the display off of your Pandora too so you only have the controls on your arm.

Of course you might want to do away with the controls all together by using a chording keyboard:
http://www.ekatetra.com/

By then though you could just mount the system board and batteries on a utility belt or into your jacket lining and call yourself a cyborg.

Isn't that what you're after in the end?

I have one of these armbands for my N900 for jogging purposes:
91308_01.jpg

It's usable on the wrist, but the size and weight prevent me from using it in any other scenario. The pandora weighs even more and is somewhat larger. You could do it, but it just wouldn't be practical.

Triumvir said:
Affixing a Pandora to your wrist and wearing it out in public as a watch may get you some strange looks.. very strange looks.
People have worn much stranger things in the name of wearable computing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant, thanks for the feedback.

Just analysed the dimensions with a quick diagram :)

pandorawatch.png

Scale: 1mm = 3 pixels

The Wizard was awesome and terrible. I swear back when it came out we all wanted to see it just for the SMB3 preview.

Back