Ikaruga (GC) JP Version On EU Wii ?

Magic Sam

Forever Homebrew
Hi all :)

I bought (~60 euros) the Japanese version of Ikaruga for the Nintendo Gamecube this afternoon, in a local second-hand video games shop.

I plan to play this game on a soft-modded European Wii, hooked to a 2001 CRT TV set compatible with both PAL50/60 and NTSC, through a piece of software called Gecko OS.

I set the parameters of Gecko OS to "Region Free = YES", "Game Language = Japanese" and "Force NTSC = YES".

When I use the "Launch Rebooter" option, the game runs nicely but with some display issues, namely a dark blinking bar at the top of the screen...

When I use the "Launch Game" option, the display is correct (no more dark blinking bar) but the game crashes on the "select game mode" screen... :(

With both options I also get some weird characters on screen (e.g: ff ," .... _',ff fff,%,,"OE,OFF,,_',Z^ _ ,ZZ, ,,,,,,), as if my Wii couldn't display Japanese characters correctly.  

I tried with different settings, but to no avail. 

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong ?

Thanks for your help !

Cheers, Magic Sam

Absolutely no idea but Ikaruga is rock hard, I used to own it on my old gamecube.

A good game but it might take years to complete it. I think one needs to have Japanese blood flowing in the veins to beat this mofo.

I have a hardware region switch on one of my GCs to select between NA, Japan and European. I should look to find some region exclusive titles.

Ikaruga's not region exclusive fwiw.  It was definitely released in EU and JP regions, and I don't remember it not coming out in the US but I may be wrong.  I can't help with Sam's problem though - I own a freeloader disc, but not actually any import games.

Ikaruga's not region exclusive fwiw.  It was definitely released in EU and JP regions, and I don't remember it not coming out in the US but I may be wrong.  I can't help with Sam's problem though - I own a freeloader disc, but not actually any import games.

it definitely was released in US, as i played it. they cut or blanked out all the Japanese text from the game, including any story parts.

Back