I''m Writing A Letter

ninjamonkey

Still Fresh
Soon I plan to write a letter to bungine studios, the creators of the awesomenes that is Halo, just informing them a bit about the pandora and seeing if they would be interested in developing something for it. I know you all are probably going to shoot down this idea just like most my ideas in the past. but anyway I plan to inform them of:

1. what the pandora is
2. what are the specifications of the hardware
3. what are it possbilities
4. what it can do gaming wise

if there anything else that you think I should include feel free to tell me.

I seriously doubt you'd get any kind of positive response from them - quite simply, the Pandora doesn't have the kind of market share to warrant attention from a big company. Even if it did, I don't recall Bungie making software for any portable platform before (and certainly not whilst they were under Microsoft.)

Honestly, if you're going to approach anyone, consider a company which is more likely to be aligned to the handheld market.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally wouldn't waste the effort. A big-name, big-money company like Bungie wouldn't even consider to consider such a small amount of potential profit.

But... If you are really really lucky (find pirate treasure in your attic lucky) you might get a Marathon port.

Do what you wish. Nobody will stop you. Good Luck!

I don't think they've showed intereted in the DS or PSP at all (where there is a crap load of money to be made), it's not very likely..... but maybe some of their older games like Myth?

'mindlord' said:
Not to mention that Bungie is pretty much a Microsoft pet.
but you guys know that bungie did break off from microsoft, and plan to make games for other consoles (not just microsoft-generated consoles) right?

Halo is an Xbox(360) exclusive, a system seller. Will you also ask Nintendo to port the next Mario platformer to other systems? No one will stop you, but there is a reason no one else is making topics about this.

Believe it or not guys at one point there actually was a version of halo in development for the DS... or at least started development. Whether Bungie was making this game or a different developer is kind of unknown but here's a video of the leaked build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89cAOCSZMCM and a small blurb found in the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_DS#Canceled_projects (I cant get the links to work for some reason so just copy paste). Some claim that this was a mod of a different engine or something. I don't really know and the details are dodgy. The only thing I can say for certain is that Bungie will not make a game for the Pandora. There is just not the user base for them to profit. Plus Bungie is basically Microsoft's slave.

'Karas' said:
Believe it or not guys at one point there actually was a version of halo in development for the DS... or at least started development.
So you're saying we have a one in a billion chance instead of the previously thought one in a trillion chance of bungie developing for the Pandora?

'Karas' said:
Believe it or not guys at one point there actually was a version of halo in development for the DS... or at least started development. Whether Bungie was making this game or a different developer is kind of unknown but here's a video of the leaked build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89cAOCSZMCM and a small blurb found in the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_DS#Canceled_projects (I cant get the links to work for some reason so just copy paste). Some claim that this was a mod of a different engine or something. I don't really know and the details are dodgy. The only thing I can say for certain is that Bungie will not make a game for the Pandora. There is just not the user base for them to profit. Plus Bungie is basically Microsoft's slave.
The detail's aren't that dodgy. It was a reskinning of the Goldeneye game with Halo-like textures and models, which was pitched to Bungie. They rejected it.

'fischju2000' said:
'Karas' said:
The detail's aren't that dodgy. It was a reskinning of the Goldeneye game with Halo-like textures and models, which was pitched to Bungie. They rejected it.

I know people have said that, but I don't think its ever been confirmed. Its also possible that the developers were using the same engine and had not yet made it look like an entirely new game. Maybe it was just a reskin. I don't know, its not worth doing any more research because the fact remains that Bungie will never make a game for the Pandora.

If you're going to do this, please make it clear that you're not a direct member of the Pandora team.

However, I would advise not to do it because it's very obvious that they don't want to develop for such a small audience.
We're not even shipping yet, there's no 'real' customers with Pandoras yet, and there's no incentive for them to bother making any games for such a radically different platform.

Not to be rude, but I think you'll just embarrass yourself. I think it's best to leave major software developers alone, at least until we have enough of a market to offer them. They will probably hear about it at some point anyway, and take their own initiative if they're interested.

'mindlord' said:
Not to mention that Bungie is pretty much a Microsoft pet.
Though I theorize it must be said that before they we're Microsoft's pet they were Apple's pet...

[sarcasm]Will the blatant copying never end?[/sarcasm]

'u9i' said:
Make sure you point out how they can make money in this market. That is the only thing management (decision maker) is interested in.
Exactly! What they might be interested in is:
-making more money with Open sourced versions of Marathon
-making more money on the other old-commercial games (prior to M$ era) that they can easily run on the Pandora by some kind of emulator/other open source engine that supports their models/textures.

Just search the web for exact info and try to underline that almost every people that will buy a Pandora is a retro-gaming fanboy. If they spot some free-money and/or some free-popularity investing in the Pandora, they will not trash your mail.

Awesome! Once Bungie ported Halo 3, could you ask them to tell Microsoft to port Windows XP too?

Back