Image Viewing On The Pandora

CandidStan

I'm thinking of writing a program for the Pandora if the one I'm going to describe doesn't exist for OpenEmbedded distros.

I'm looking for an image viewer that knows when an image is landscape or portrait, and rotates it as such so it uses the full resolution of the Pandora. I'm not talking about putting black bars on a landscape image, I'm talking about actually rotating the image and causing the user to turn the Pandora on it's side, for some this could be a hassle, but for others who like to read comics, or PDFs, this would be a very valuable application.

Why do this when you could simply rotate the image with a trigger press? I don't understand why (or even how) you would implement a potentially problematic / erratic auto-sense-orientation algorithm when a simple keypress would work just fine.

I think a program that is able to guess how a picture is best viewed on the screen is not a bad idea if the user can still change the orientation of the picture by himself.

If you want to make an especially good picture viewer, why not try one that features an Apple cover-flow like picture selection and a two-fingers-gesture zoom in/out.

MiniSinisterMinister said:
If you want to make an especially good picture viewer, why not try one that features an Apple cover-flow like picture selection and a two-fingers-gesture zoom in/out.
Because the touchscreen isn't multi-touch?

This shouldn't be too hard to implement. I suspect a few lines of code in a given image viewer dividing the width of an image by its height, then rotating (or not), would work fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem I've always had is that sure you can rotate the image...but if you are reading a comic, you don't want to do it for every page.

An image viewer that lets you choose a start position, zoom level, and rotation for all images would be very useful.

AireTamStorm said:
Why do this when you could simply rotate the image with a trigger press? I don't understand why (or even how) you would implement a potentially problematic / erratic auto-sense-orientation algorithm when a simple keypress would work just fine.
read...my...lips....i mean sig.

Look at THIS effect.
I want to suggest you to use it in your Image Viewer... When you touch the corner of the image the image will be splitted (without the shadow used in the example to make the "book effect") and you can pass to the next one. Of course there will be a menu to jump more than one photo so the visualization will be more fluent.
I think that this code should be easy to found because in internet it's very common.
My 2 cent :p

giovanni said:
Look at THIS effect.

wow, that's pretty neat. that's one thing i miss about reading things digitally. Ofcourse a keypress is faster, but it does not have that feel to it. slowy flipping the page, reading the last words, and instantly in the top left corner of the next page the text continues. more fluent, sorta, dunno ;)

Don't remember the name of the program, but the N800's default image viewer has a full screen option that automatically fills the screen. Works pretty good too, comics are very readable with the 800x480 screen sideways like that.

I use Irfanview as an image viewer on Windows, and it's brilliant.
I hope there's an equivalent small footprint/fast loading viewer for Angstrom/Pandora. Which can deal with many different image formats.

Irfanview has the option to auto-rotate. It reads the width x height of the image and can rotate accordingly.
Or for photos it can also use the embedded EXIF orientation tag, if the camera had a rotation detection accelerometer thing present.

batfastad said:
I use Irfanview as an image viewer on Windows, and it's brilliant.
I hope there's an equivalent small footprint/fast loading viewer for Angstrom/Pandora. Which can deal with many different image formats.

Irfanview has the option to auto-rotate. It reads the width x height of the image and can rotate accordingly.
Or for photos it can also use the embedded EXIF orientation tag, if the camera had a rotation detection accelerometer thing present.
I'm using Irfanview since years, it's all I need to view images (Mangas...:D). I don't know if there is a Linux/ARM Version of Irfanview but such a programm would be a very useful tool for the Pandora.

AireTamStorm said:
I don't understand why (or even how) you would implement a potentially problematic / erratic auto-sense-orientation algorithm

- read image
- if height > width, rotate 90 degrees
- size to fit with some simple division

With decent tools this should be like 5 lines of code max. I don't see how this would be complicated or erratic.

Btw, displaying a scaled-up version of the image's thumbnail version (if present) while loading the full image in the background, and not forcing people to wait for the full image before they can decide to move on to the next one would be REALLY cool.
I really hate it when I have to search through my thousands of photos and have to wait several seconds for each one to load.

MilanC said:
Btw, displaying a scaled-up version of the image's thumbnail version (if present) while loading the full image in the background, and not forcing people to wait for the full image before they can decide to move on to the next one would be REALLY cool.
I really hate it when I have to search through my thousands of photos and have to wait several seconds for each one to load.
That is one of the best ideas for an image viewer I have ever heard! I think a little overlay in the corner of the screen showing the progress of decoding the full image would be a neat idea too. This would do two things. Firstly it would remind the user that they are seeing a scaled-up thumbnail (as opposed to the full detail picture), and secondly it would let you judge whether its worth waiting for the full picture to load or not

PANDAROIDS!!
261krvb.png

( This was a mock up of an application i did for my retro theme im working on aha )

Polaroid form = preview.
Then when you choose a pic you go in full screen mode !

what ? :(

Mr.Gonzo said:
PANDAROIDS!!
261krvb.png

( This was a mock up of an application i did for my retro theme im working on aha )

Polaroid form = preview.
Then when you choose a pic you go in full screen mode !

what ? :(
not bad gonzo like the graphics but for me not a great way of going through images in a preview mode! cant see enough of them ideally try a style with one central image the current one then to the left one just viewed behind it with only 2/3rd showing and slightly smaller and then another one slightly behind that with 2/3rds showing and same again for the next two images. would look like this in my diagram the number is the image and the []'s are the sides of your polaroid and we are currently viewing number 3

[1[2[3]
4]5]

this allows to see a bit better what is coming and or just gone.

Back