Import Taxes To Sweden?

Shaddac

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Howdy!

I'm a little confused and I was hoping someone could help me to decide where from to order my GPX2. What I would like to know is if there are any import taxes to and fro countries that are within the EU. If there are, are the taxes within the EU smaller than if I should order my GPX2 from USA (gp32z.com)? The best price (not including any VAT) seems to be from gp32z because of the low dollar course, but I am really confused about the VAT.
I ordered my GP32 from lik-sang and I had to pay about 30-40 € in import taxes so I don't think I am buying from them again :unsure:

Don't know if I'm posting in the right section now, but if I am not, please mods move my post to where it should be :)

EDIT: btw, I'm from Sweden ;)

hi again :)

you could ask the shop if it will send the gp2x marked as gift. Gifts should be free from import taxes. (At least they are here in germany)

Hey, I'm from Sweden too :)

I don't know what the import tax is when ordering from US. I suspect it's 25% (regular swedish VAT). When ordering within EU you will only pay the VAT of that country and no import taxes. VAT stands for value added tax and it's the same thing as our moms.

There are no import taxes inside the EU. The VAT is payed in the country you buy the product from which means no additional tax is added later.

Importing from outside the EU to Sweden is another matter. You sometimes have to pay customs tax and always VAT. From the US there is currently no customs tax on electronics. You will have to pay 25% in VAT though.

But if you can convince the seller to write "Gift" on the package and a low customs value you stand a good chance of avoiding the VAT. The problem is that if you want to insure the package you will only get the customs value if the package is lost.

I'm also from Sweden and have the same problem. I'm not sure where to get my GP2X. The British pound has a very high exchange value compared with the US dollar. I think the best solution would be to buy from Germany or some other EU country like Spain. I'd order from EvilDragon if only he'd sell to people outside Germany.

You only pay VAT once within EU, so you pay the VAT of the country you buy from. If I recall correctly it's something like 17,5 % in UK (gbax.com).

But as mentioned you can get it cheaper if it's marked as a gift and bought outside of EU, but I don't know how this works.

I've tried buying something from Lik-sang.com and that avoided double VAT...
I THINK this was because they've opened a lokal distribution storage in Germany... and that the order went through there first...

The package was sent from germany - but it took a while...
Don't know if Lik-Sang will have GP2X though...

Digital Awakening posted on Sep 15 2005 at 03:31 PM said:
GBP sure is worth more then USD or Euro but the price usually also reflects this so there shouldn't be much of a difference when buying from a store in UK. GBP is currently at 13,89 SEK.

Yes, the price usually reflects the difference between USD and Euro. With the GP2X it doesn't:

GBAX 13,78 x £120 = 1653kr
GP32Z 7,63 x $170-185 = 1297-1411kr

Last edited by a moderator:
Last I checked, UK is part of EC, as is Sweden. No customs from UK to Sweden. AFAIK...

Neither of you bothered to accept the €, hmppf... Resistance is futile.

Another Swede here!
Now, I ordered my Tapwave Zodiac 2 from Allack.co.uk (from the UK...) with no extra expences other than shipping, so Jarska333 should be right. The pound costs quite a lot though.

heja sverige. yet another swede here.

A good trick is to have them mark the package "Warranty return" or "product sample" instead, that way the full value can be put on the package, but since you "didn't pay for it" in the first place they can't really expect you to pay taxes.
But since this is within EU, there'll be no taxes or other fees.

And another thing, when ordering from asia, EMS is the best choice for avoiding customs. Those packages join in with the others handled by Posten the last bit, not like UPS or DHL wich have their own customs control.

Thanks for the replies guys.. I think I'll wait and see if ED will sell his GP2Xs to Sweden before I make my decision :)

@Yuglooc
Jag kommer ifrån Öland, men läser nu i Lund B)
Du?

Cheers!
/Shaddac

Back