Impractical Pandora-successor names

What about Artefact?

Artefact makes you think of something with intrinsic value. Plus, it is normally associated with old things. (in our case, Retro Gaming) It comes from the Latin phrase arte factum meaning "(something) made with skill", which could be used to imply that great care and effort was put into the device.

I chose the spelling of Artefact with the E because it is lesser used and closer to the original Latin phrase.

Honestly, the more I think about this name, the more I like it. :)

-God Ginrai

A word that has multiple spelling also doesn't seem like a great choice in some respects, it is like you would need to constantly clarify:

A> "HEY, what is that awesome device you have in your hand?!!"

B> "Oh, it is an Artefact, that is spelt with an E"

A> "What as in A, r, t, i, f, a, c, t, e, some sort of French spelling?"

B> "No no, as in a, r, t, e, f, a, c, t"

A> "I just Googled that and get lots of results, but none about that handheld"

Other than the problems, it is quite a nice work.

Artefact makes you think of something with intrinsic value
It makes me think of blemishes caused by an imperfect process - like those fuzzy squares you get in low-quality JPEGs

Last edited by a moderator:
A word that has multiple spelling also doesn't seem like a great choice in some respects, it is like you would need to constantly clarify:

A> "HEY, what is that awesome device you have in your hand?!!"

B> "Oh, it is an Artefact, that is spelt with an E"

A> "What as in A, r, t, i, f, a, c, t, e, some sort of French spelling?"

B> "No no, as in a, r, t, e, f, a, c, t"

A> "I just Googled that and get lots of results, but none about that handheld"

Other than the problems, it is quite a nice work.
First of all, that conversation would never happen. No one would ask about "artifacte". Second, alternate spellings are not always a downside, especially when it is as simple as a one letter difference.

EDIT:

Artefact makes you think of something with intrinsic value
It makes me think of blemishes caused by an imperfect process - like those fuzzy squares you get in low-quality JPEGs
That's an alternate definition that means "something that is not naturally there". It doesn't actually mean a blemish.

-God Ginrai

That's an alternate definition that means "something that is not naturally there". It doesn't actually mean a blemish.
True, but when the process involved is one of reproduction (photography, audio processing, etc) something that is not naturally there is likely to be undesired.

True, but when the process involved is one of reproduction (photography, audio processing, etc) something that is not naturally there is likely to be undesired.
Yes, but video games and productivity apps are not reproduction, so this definition would not apply. Plus, the definition that I used is the most common definition and would be what people think of first.

-God Ginrai

pantouze... at least it doesnt have any real real hit on google, so 1rst use = top result. Easy enough to say in any language I know

pantouze... at least it doesnt have any real real hit on google, so 1rst use = top result. Easy enough to say in any language I know
Pant- "ooh" -ze?

Pant- "oh" -ze?

ou is ambiguous unless it is a common word.

Also, Touze means a disturbance, so that name means "all disturbances". I don't think this will really work.

-God Ginrai

has to be something in the common knowledge part of the brain.. people know what it is right away.

I still love the Open Pandragon. Sounds a bit like Open Pandora  and has Dragon in its name.

What do you think about Panna ?

Panna is an italian word for this

crema-chantilly-4.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream

OpenPanna or LibrePanna sounds good .. :)

Back