Interested In Being A Game Programmer...

No, I mean selective outlining. It's a method used in pixel art that partly makes outlines look better (sort of like anti aliassing) but more importantly so that your outlines don't disappear completely against a background consisting of the same color as your outline. It helps keep your sprites visually distinct from the background at all times.

It's a minor critique, really, and it may not fit your style or you may want to omit it because it's extra work, but I tend to consider it one of the more important things to do on sprites because when your sprites are clearly visually distinct from the background it makes it easier/less tiresome to play.

Eniko said:
No, I mean selective outlining. It's a method used in pixel art that partly makes outlines look better (sort of like anti aliassing) but more importantly so that your outlines don't disappear completely against a background consisting of the same color as your outline. It helps keep your sprites visually distinct from the background at all times.

It's a minor critique, really, and it may not fit your style or you may want to omit it because it's extra work, but I tend to consider it one of the more important things to do on sprites because when your sprites are clearly visually distinct from the background it makes it easier/less tiresome to play.

I like the attention to detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone mentioned SuperTux. You said you wanted it to be a traditional platformer. Why not reuse code from existing open source games? SuperTux is open, and if that's a bit too complex a base, it was grown from the Bobobot code. SuperTux has a level editor, and the Bobobot levels are just a flat text file with a grid of letters corresponding to tiles.

I don't have any real experience in game programming, outside of a few simple tutorials, but I'd be willing to help out if you decide to go this route. I am mostly a scripter at work, but I've programmed in C, C++, Python, Perl and some others. If nothing else, it might be enough to get the basics going, so people will be more inspired to help code the swinging physics and such.

Eniko: OH yeah ok , i didnt even knew it had a name.
Yes it will happen , These sprites are first drafts to give people an idea.
Dont worry , By the time i start animating it will already look better. :)
And by then ill start posting Gifs !

Yamara: M'yeah but you know i'll leave that choice to that coder. If its whats best for the game i will glad that they take that route.
But i have alot to worry about ( Tons of animations , characters , music ( i was thinking of classic 8bit songs mixed with Good quality organic sounds ;) )
SOund effects , storyboard and bla bla bla.

So yeah ... i'll leave to coding to someone who could make this game great to play... and not only great to look at / listen to... :(

ahah

I have a c++ platform engine with allegro nearly done, which would work if ported to pandora... but im still trying to add some complexities and level loading. if i make some strides, ill be sure to contact you..

Well right now Iprice is my programmer of choice , becuse i see theres some palpable stuff and he has lots of experience in the field.
( i dont really care with him being busy right now , i'll just have more time to have some stuff done before the programming starts ... and he seems pretty ambitious himself )

But if any of you comes to me with something playable ( i dont care it could Be Squares jumping on triangles ) i'll see if i will change my mind :)!

On another note.
I will upload more stuff when i come back from work , i'll work on some more characters and reveal more of the game at the same time ! ^^

The game looks loads like "Game Over" on the amstrad cpc (and probably other machines)...anyone remember that? Played it Gonzo? What a great game...

Iprice, nice games! I love the retro remakes version of head over heels....there are 3 head over heels remakes and I find it by far the best! One of my all time favourite games too, anybody else know it?

I would offer to help code here but have already committed myself to porting other games, so wont have the time I'm afraid...I look forward to playing it though!

24fkxzn.png

The Cucarachas!
Heres a bit more about the plot; The main character lives in a shitty appartment and on his way out to his quest he kills a cockroach on the floor... little does he know that this cockroach is the Deputee of the Cucarachas.
The Sheriff wants revenge ... and everybody knows that cockroaches grows really fast.
(Them later ending up bigger than humans)
So back to the plot, Matador is craving for revenge , being betrayed in the past by the sheriff and the deputee and imprisoned.

So guess what happens ... the cucarachas are after the main character , so are the hammers and their robots.. and more. But Matador ( probably being a controllable character ) ends up ( in the middle of the game ) being your sidekick.( even if you can control him from the begining )

EdCa: No i didnt knew about Game Over ^^.
Youtubed it though... cant seem to see whats so similar about it though.

Keep tuned for more updates!

I already hear Mexican Level Music during a Fight against the cockroach Hombrès. :lol:
You have a very creative mind. Sperms, Cockroachs....and what's in the next Level? ^_^

I love all that Pixel Art. Brings me to the question to the final resolution of this game onto the Pandora. The 800x480 Screen seems way to High-Res for such a classic Look Game. I think 400x320 with Pixlel Doubling would do a great Job for the right Old School feeling. :)

Exactly what i was thinking, Man i love big pixels.
damn Hd ... so charmless!

Ahah mostly controling Matador, wild west in a rotting appartment , Mexican music ... vengeance ... Cucarachas; YUMMY.

I'll do my best to keep this game as fun as possible.
But ... itll be hard whitout the help of a crazy coder.

if he has good ideas too this game could turn out more than fun.
two minds are better than one!

Aha , dont worry with movie grade screaming.
I have bin in a death metal band ( just because i can , not becuse its my thing ) screaming.
So any type of growling , screeching , pig squeeling i can do.
add a few effects to it and you got yourself a nice monster noise. aha.

Whitout any effect doing inhale screaming i can immitate a raptor jurassic park style no problem! aha.

Cucarachas are actualy Cockroaches in spanish

yes... I know what cucarachas are ;-) ...don't speak much spanish but I do speak portuguese... we (portugese speaking americans :blink: )call them baratas... strangly close to the word for potato - batatas... if not carefull you get a plate of baratas fritas :rolleyes:

... you've been in a metal band ... screaming this is good to know xD

Hip hop , jazz , metal , Funk , done it all.

I suck at instruments , and i was poor for most of my life so i had to learn the cheapest instrument around. MY VOICE ahah.

Me i have a good spanish , only becuse my girlfriend and her family all speak Spanish ( from argentina YUMMY ) and they are pretty much my second family.

Portugese speaking american?
Look at me a spanish speaking greek.
We are on the same boat brother. aha

My compliments on your art, your characters are very expressive and clean. My pixel art always ends up looking muddy and messy, perhaps I use too many colours.

I really hope to one day play your game :)

Back