International Gbax Orders

^ That appears to be consistent with the article I found:

http://import-export.suite101.com/article.cfm/imported-computer-notebook-and-netbook-sales

Sounds promising.

I see this thread is right about what I was talking about in the other. I have nothing more to ask right now, just saying I will be keeping an eye here. not there as it would be redundant now.
I just hope Gruso is right and it is exempt.

EDIT: Now I remember, in the thread about what shipping will be for the US it was mentioned that UPS charged a $60 fee over top of tax and customs charges for an LCD screen around $200-$300. there's where my fear of $150 came from.
So if that's true, if UPS charges $60 for a $200-$300 item and the Pandora is $330 you could expect that they could charge a fee of approx $60-$70 and tax on $330 would be $22.75 for tax in my state which would leave around $60 or so dollars for customs Which would be somewhere around 20%. I think that is why I had $150 on the brain.

So are we saying that completed items like laptops etc would be immune but a part would be able to be hit with a fee?

this is the part where it starts to sound less certain and more like we have yet another surprise in store. I don't trust the U.S. gov in any way. My state (Ohio) started looking people up and checking other states then sent them bills for buying cigarettes from other states. Some people reportedly got years worth of taxes billed and ordered to pay $2000 to $3000. So I'm inclined to say if they can get away with it, they WILL put a fee on it.
Crap, and I was just smiling again.

Poem58 said:
I see this thread is right about what I was talking about in the other. I have nothing more to ask right now, just saying I will be keeping an eye here. not there as it would be redundant now.
I just hope Gruso is right and it is exempt.

EDIT: Now I remember, in the thread about what shipping will be for the US it was mentioned that UPS charged a $60 fee over top of tax and customs charges for an LCD screen around $200-$300. there's where my fear of $150 came from.
So if that's true, if UPS charges $60 for a $200-$300 item and the Pandora is $330 you could expect that they could charge a fee of approx $60-$70 and tax on $330 would be $22.75 for tax in my state which would leave around $60 or so dollars for customs Which would be somewhere around 20%. I think that is why I had $150 on the brain.

So are we saying that completed items like laptops etc would be immune but a part would be able to be hit with a fee?

this is the part where it starts to sound less certain and more like we have yet another surprise in store. I don't trust the U.S. gov in any way. My state (Ohio) started looking people up and checking other states then sent them bills for buying cigarettes from other states. Some people reportedly got years worth of taxes billed and ordered to pay $2000 to $3000. So I'm inclined to say if they can get away with it, they WILL put a fee on it.
Crap, and I was just smiling again.
I would really love to see some proof of your cigarette claim. Those cancerous pieces of shit that SHOULD be illegal are taxed in every state in which they are sold. It sounds like Bible thumping OhighO has expensive smokes, that I don't doubt. But your claim sounds like it came from a shithouse lawyer or is some OhighO urban legend. If I by cigarrettes in Pennsyltuckey and take them to Ohio, I paid the tax in PA, so I should not be taxed in Ohio. On the other hand, if you get pulled over with a truckful of cancer driving from PA or West edit: "by god" Virginia, then I can see them taxing you and citing you for redistribution of a regulated and controlled product. Other possibility is getting them from an Indian Reservation untaxed and redistributing. Some places the mob runs illegal cigarrettes, but those fools go to jail (sometimes), they don't get a letter in the mail.

Relax bro. Breath, air is your friend.

Inhale,

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about most of that post...lol
And I'd like to see some proof of bible thumping cause all I ever run into are heathens and sinners. Maybe things would be better if the thumpers came back. :p

Anyway, it was ll over the news for a couple of weeks, the one guy in this article (sorry I only bothered to look at and link the first Google result) got stuck with a $2000+ bill with an order to pay in 30 days. I don't know where these people bought them, the point is I do my income taxes and they actually ask If I bought something online from another state. This way they can charge me tax on it. Not every online purchase is tax free even out of state, so I wonder him much tax they have collected from people who already paid it when they bought something. I even wonder if half the time the collected tax even makes to the Gov.

Anyway the following article explains it briefly and to my knowledge they do it regularly now.

http://blog.clevelan..._cigarette.html

When you get you license plate sticker at least mine was $20 with $20 tax (for many years it's since gone up I know) and in what law does it say 100% tax is legal? None that I'm aware of, they just do it and you are forced to go along. That's why I plan to call customs. unless I can get a definite answer, I have to assume they will soak me, I guess now I'll have to call UPS too as they seem to be part of the problem.

Also found this and having opted for the $19 shipping method of which I believe was airmail this article suggests Airmail might avoid the customs man but couriers will declare for customs.
http://reviews.ebay....000000002373744

Check out the section titled DELIVERY...not good to think about. Also make my above figures kinda work out. :(
See this is confusing.

You have to be careful when talking about international orders. You typically have to pay duties and/or taxes to your government. For me, in Canada, the importer will have to collect GST and PST for my order. I think anything over $50 requires collection of this tax. So that is 5% and 8%... which really is not a big deal as I would pay that tax if I had to buy locally. Fair enough. I suspect that is the same for most countries with a VAT of some sort.

Where you can get gouged is with the brokerage fees. This is what they charge for the paperwork required to calculate and collect the PST/GST/VAT. The shipper you use may only charge a small amount (Canada Post charges a whopping $7. Not bad at all.) Or they may screw you royally. (UPS can be $50+ and up for the honour.) Some will even charge another fee for advancing the GST/PST/VAT owed at the border for it to clear customs. ($10 and up...)

It is critically important to use the right shipping company and right shipping type to avoid these surprises. Sometimes shipping with faster service (IE: 2 day International delivery) is actually cheaper as those options typically include any brokerage fees in the cost. The "cheaper" options typically don't include brokerage fees.

Real example of shipping costs I regularly experience:
(A)Ship two day shipping USA-Canada at $95. Paid GST/PST on value of item.
(B)Ship 4-5 day shipping USA-Canada at $40. Paid GST/PST on value of item. BUT I would also pay $70 in brokerage fees. Net cost $110 before taxes.
Paradoxically, the more expensive and faster shipping method was actually way, way cheaper.

So once we get closer to ship I'll be sending a note to confirm what shipping company they are shipping with. If regular post, I'm not worried. But any other option may mean I'm better off upgrading my shipping speed. It varies wildly from courier to courier. So we shall have to see.

Poem58 said:
Not sure about most of that post...lol
And I'd like to see some proof of bible thumping cause all I ever run into are heathens and sinners. Maybe things would be better if the thumpers came back. :p

Anyway, it was ll over the news for a couple of weeks, the one guy in this article (sorry I only bothered to look at and link the first Google result) got stuck with a $2000+ bill with an order to pay in 30 days. I don't know where these people bought them, the point is I do my income taxes and they actually ask If I bought something online from another state. This way they can charge me tax on it. Not every online purchase is tax free even out of state, so I wonder him much tax they have collected from people who already paid it when they bought something. I even wonder if half the time the collected tax even makes to the Gov.

Anyway the following article explains it briefly and to my knowledge they do it regularly now.

http://blog.clevelan..._cigarette.html

When you get you license plate sticker at least mine was $20 with $20 tax (for many years it's since gone up I know) and in what law does it say 100% tax is legal? None that I'm aware of, they just do it and you are forced to go along. That's why I plan to call customs. unless I can get a definite answer, I have to assume they will soak me, I guess now I'll have to call UPS too as they seem to be part of the problem.

Also found this and having opted for the $19 shipping method of which I believe was airmail this article suggests Airmail might avoid the customs man but couriers will declare for customs.
http://reviews.ebay....000000002373744

Check out the section titled DELIVERY...not good to think about. Also make my above figures kinda work out. :(
See this is confusing.

Poem58,

Holy paranoia batman. Ohio is going after people who bought online who had online merchants cooperation because they weren't paying taxes. Totally different than Pandora. The Pandora is not on the state of Ohio's radar for tax evasion. Online merchants are forced to cooperate on taxes or lack thereof regarding sale of tobacco. Releasing all Ohio's cancer stick purchases is part of taxation and regulation of a product licensed by the FDA to slowly kill Amerika & enrich Big Pharma & everyone against universal health care in this shithole of corporate control. Remember that next time you inhale. Ohio wants their money & it looks like they are getting it. Funny how smokers pay taxes while the corporations get tax breaks.

Doubt customs is going to care in all reality.

Inhale something besides tobacco,

Link

That cigarette story is a red herring I think (as related to importing a Pandora). In that situation, people were deliberately exploiting a tax loophole for cheap cigs. Of course they were going to get done. I'm sure there are any number of tax anecdotes you could scrapbook if you're looking for a reason to cancel :p but I'd be looking no further than the official import regulations that have been linked.

The practices of the various shipping companies are whole other matter, and something I know nothing about. If you want peace of mind, or at the very least some actual knowledge, you should start contacting them now with your "hypothetical netbook scenario" and demanding to know exactly what will happen.

[edit] semi-ninja'd

NLS said:
matenrou said:
NLS said:
Here in Norway, you have to pay customs and then VAT on top of that if you order anything over about 35$ :(
If it ships within EU then VAT wont be added(right?)
Norway is not in EU :(
1. Norway is indeed not in the EU. However, importing from a EU country should attract no import duty (unless perhaps if it's a liquorice Pandora). (reference)
2. Within the EU, VAT is charged only at the point of purchase.
3. When importing to Norway from a EU country, no VAT should be charged at point of purchase. However, the Norwegian VAT will have to be paid by the importer before they can pick up their goods.

I've had two packages sent from LGP in the UK. The first was a bundle of 3 or 4 games, which I had to pick up, and hand over some of my ill-gotten gains for, at the post office. The second was a single game costing about £10 (under the 200 NOK cutoff), which sailed straight through to my mailbox.

Wow, people really do have a tendency to take something and run the other way with it. The whole Cigarette story was my comment to how the U.S. Gov will do anything they can to put a tax on you. It neither concerned me nor affected me. I never even insinuated Ohio would come after tax for my Pandora. I said they make you declare an out of state purchase when you do your taxes, so in a way Yes, i guess they might tax me for the Pandora if I was honest and reported it's purchase. I suppose I might be saved by the fact it was out of country, not just out of state as the Federal government would likely have jurisdiction over that. Who knows? That's what I am trying to ascertain.

The point is, in the other thread, the guy said UPS charged him$60 on top of tax and customs fees on 1 LCD screen he ordered. That is the concern. Gruso found the information that suggests it may not be assessed a fee by customs. However, if the LCD did, it means they still could. Also, we need to determine officially what carrier will be shipping them once they arrive. It was suggested also that Airmail via the US postal service may bypass a fee but that UPS would possibly charge a large brokerage fee for going through customs.

Gruso, on what you last posted that is the point here. So, once we get the official information as to what the shipping method is, I plan to make some calls and see if I can determine the facts or at least what the likelihood is of fee's and procedures if they are even necessary. (MORE worried now about UPS then anything else) As long as the process is simple and the fee's are rather small. Then I can sit back happily and wait for the glorious unboxing of the Pandora. After all that has gone on, I just don't want any more complications or surprises. Nothing wrong with that.

Sorry, but nearly every time someone tells me it shouldn't be a problem, that's when it is. Thanks for the links, but not being a legal minded person I don't understand all the rules and regulations as they differ for individuals and businesses and a lot of things happen legally they you don't find mentioned. I'm not looking for a way to cancel, but a way to ensure I don't end up with a Pandora being held captive for some ridiculous fee or anything.
I really don't understand why people have a problem when someone wants to confirm something.

Since it's been two weeks now, I will email Jackie and see if she knows the particulars for shipping yet. then I can make some calls and I will report back.

Side note: Mjlink
:D
Inhale something besides tobacco, huh? Like wha...Ahhhh I see what you did there! Now I know what your pic is...LOL
:p

That's why this thread exists in the first place, if I'm not mistaken. ;)

Anyway, as I suggested in the other thread where I linked to this one, you should read page two of this thread. There are two posts there that are quite informative. For clarity, I will quote them;

davidgro said:
From what I can make of the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States, it looks like the Pandora would probably be a 8471.30.0100, "Portable automatic data processing machines, weighing not more than 10 kg, consisting of at least a central processing unit, a keyboard and a display"
Those are free as long as they aren't coming from Cuba or North Korea

I have no experience with this stuff at all, so official word would be really great. (Especially if I'm right)
Gruso said:
^ That appears to be consistent with the article I found:

http://import-export.suite101.com/article.cfm/imported-computer-notebook-and-netbook-sales

Sounds promising.

Whilst it's no guarantee of how things will turn out, this seems to be the most current information that has been found regarding this issue.

Poem58 said:
The point is, in the other thread, the guy said UPS charged him$60 on top of tax and customs fees on 1 LCD screen he ordered.

i'm guessing you mean an LCD TV or monitor in witch case it's totally different from the Pandora.
the Pandora will most likely be under netbooks and there for not taxed.

Back