Introduce yourself

The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin?

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.

guns + 2bit = :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

I am 26 years old, working in a large industrie company.I also study electrical engineering in addition to my profession.

In my spare time I like to play old DOS games and SNES games with friends.I'm a huge fan of any kind of programming.

I have currently a small Arduino project and some ideas for the Pandora.

welcome CptnRoughnight - be nice to see some of your ideas for Pandora come alive

I guess I'll say hi.

I'm Knock, retro gamer (not sure if early nineties counts, but DOOM has got to be #1 on my list of favorites, the rest is seeing what existed when I was a tyke).  I also love free software (it's one of the few things I'm fanatical about), and the Pandora is a dream come true.  I got mine yesterday, and in the short time I've had it, it's been amazing, even though I have yet to get any serious use out of it.  I hope to maybe help make some packages (not a programmer, but am used to Arch and Debian, and have made packages for both), taking full advantage of the openness of the platform.

Hello there knock welcome :)

Doom is a classic eh, spent a lot of the 90s playing that when I should've been sleeping myself.

Hello!

Another new Pandorian here, got mine yesterday! I had the GP2X back in the day and followed this project in the beginning but not in the last couple of years.

Finally got the funds to buy one of these babies and chose the 1GHz one in a signed wooden box. Is nice!

gcZehpy.jpg

Hi,

I'm here for about a half year, but wasn't really active for a long time.

I got my Pandora about a year ago. It was a preorder and I got a rebirth edition.

My Hobbies are gaming (commonly retro stuff) and modding consoles. That's why I also couldn't resist to mod my Pandora.  ^_^

case

keyboard light

Nice case mods, think I seen those before on here haven't I?

The kboard light looks like it works well too, got a pic of it shown in a lit room? So can see the actual light instead of the lighting effect it produces? I'm wondering how it is attached to the Pandora lid

It's a new implementation of hmc's hardware hack.  I must say, it looks nice on a silver case, with the contrast between the reflective case and dark keys showing well.

Thank you!

Nice case mods, think I seen those before on here haven't I?
The kboard light looks like it works well too, got a pic of it shown in a lit room? So can see the actual light instead of the lighting effect it produces? I'm wondering how it is attached to the Pandora lid
I built it on this tutorial
I grinded a small notch into the LCD bezel and mounted all wires with some scoth tape.

On a lit room it looks like this without the blind:

View attachment 7937]

The LEDs are really tiny:

tiny LED.jpg

That's what it looks like:

LED assembled.jpg

...And the wiring:

View attachment 7936

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice, thanks for the pics.

That is the smallest LED I've ever seen :)

Like it 

Now that I've produced something that is arguably of value to the community, I can feel comfortable joining the discussion on the forums.

Greetz, I'm Ultra_Jon, 24 year old slacker.  I got my Pandora a week or so ago and have been playing with it ever since.  It took five odd years and around $700 total to get it, and it's worth every penny.  I've packaged one app so far, details here http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15118-order-of-twilight-love-engine/?view=getnewpost/URL] download here http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=order_of_twilight and I hope to port some more games in the future (specifically xboing, netrok, Dave Gnukem, xsoldier, maybe more, though each has so far had its setbacks).  In addition I hope to create at least one original game for the system.  I'm not too happy with Craigix, and I haven't seen any Craigix hate / revenge games yet, so I decided I want to make a not-too-serious game in which Saint Evildragon helps the main character get their pandora that was stolen by the evil Craigix back.

I've been using Linux since I was a tyke, and have been gaming for even longer.  My first systems were the Vectrex and the Atari 800.  When I got my first "big boy" computer, I started playing some of the X11 games of the time, thus my nostalgia and desire to port them. 

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Hi,

I'm Charel from Luxembourg.

I saw the OP stand at FOSDEM last weekend and was fascinated by the concept of having a full computer in your pocket (I'm not really into gaming, but I can't say that I haven't tried it out on the Pandora yet :rolleyes: ). I bought one on that Saturday and am really pleased with it and the community and am already substituting my laptop with it.

I'm more interested in hardware hacking, but am learning some programming, so if my skills reach a useable level, I'll try to port/write something for the Pandora/Pyra.

Welcome aboard :)

Here's a short video that you must watch to be inducted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvHJbmO9I04

After a long time I got my pandora. I haven't preordered one, neither from ED nor from Craig. In fact I didn't think, that I got a pandora before the pyra. I was just in the right spot at the right time and switched my GCW Zero for a CC Pandora, which is really awesome. I don't think you can compare the GCW with the pandora very well. Of course some emulators are the same and if not, at least the systems emulated are. But the handling, the size, the price, the community and the general approach (mini linux pc with gaming controls vs. console) differ and I think both devices have their raison d'être. However the pandora fits better for me than the GCW.

So I think this is a good time to officially™ introduce myself. My name is Ziz, in the past also Cyberpuer and in the RL Alex. But as Alex is quite common name, just leave it Ziz. I was born in 1988 in the capital of The German Democratic Republic. However they were afraid of me and closed the business quite fast and sold the rest to The Federal Republic of Germany later. Today I live in the capital of The Free State of Saxony, which is a subsidiary company of The Federal Republic of Germany, I am 25 years old now and study computer science and hope I will do this for the rest of my live. Studying rocks.

I started programming in the fifth class of school, when I switched to the grammar school (dunno, whether this is the correct word in English. The school systems in different languages are quite confusing). I learned Turbo Pascal in a work group and school and this was so awesome... I stayed with Pascal and DOS quite a long time. It was enough for me, I had direct access to hardware and stared to make small games. I started with C because of the GP2X. I knew, I could use Free Pascal, but I was veeery lazy. Furthermore I was still a windows user and there were a ready to use Dev-C++-Cross-Compile-Toolchain. Later I switched to Linux (First Ubuntu, now Debian and sometimes Mint) and developed there with Pascal and C parallel. I even made a lot of Free Pascal stuff in university (in tasks, where we were free to choose the programming language), but the last years I didn't do much. Instead I took a look at python, which I use know for the GCW OPKManager as repository-grepping-script-language. But I think Turbo Pascal and DOS or, if you like, Free Pascal and a Linuxshell (!) are the best way to learn developing fast stuff and Python and a shell the best way to learn developing, when you don't want to make games later or to work with specific hardware, but to make little calculations. But this is my opinion. I know people starting with Visual Studio being quite good programmers. ;)

I still only own two openhandheld devices: The gp2x and the openpandora. I don't know, why I should keep dozen devices, which are often quite similar... Furthermore I own a Gameboy, a Gameboy Advance, a SNES, a Gamecube, a Wii and a PS2. Furthmore I used to own a Gameboy Color, but I borrowed it and never got it back. :( So you see, I am a nintendo fanboy. Or better: Was. Today I think a bit different about this company. But the games are awesome! I loved the Mario games and Pokémon and always chose Kirby in Super Smash Bros. :) The PS2 had two reasons: First of all my public library rent PS2 Games and I didn't have to pay for it, because I was a pupil. Furthermore I buyed singstar. Now I used my singstar microphones via USB on the PC with Performous, which is even more awesome, especially if you have tons of disney songs and are drunken... 

In my not virtual or gaming live I love to hike and to camp in the nature. I am a vegan. I love to paddle. I have a rubber kayak, which is more awesome, than is sounds. It weights 18kg and has a backpack included. I can travel with train in whole saxony for free and can paddle, whenever I want, whereever I want. For free!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcugdBJP2CEhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeYYkWcf5Gg.

I also love to swim, to read fantasy books("Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn", "Abhorsen", "The seventh tower" and others), playing board games and stuff probably everybody likes like biking (but not indoors, Prof. Oak forbid it), having fun with friends, drinking beer, drinking beer and having fun with friends and just being silly sometimes. And trolling. Hell, I LOVE trolling... :>

So, that's me!

greetings, Ziz

PS: Normally I say, that it is very imported to read a post after writing it to remove errors and stuff. But I am lazy (and not moderator in this board :p ). And the errors are part of me, so they fit here quite well! So you will find errors in the post. Hm, in fact you would even find errors in the post after a proofreading of mine...

Hello *waves* :) . I've been hovering around here and irc for a little while, but I'll introduce myself anyhow.

My name is Laura and I'm from England. My profile says alot, but if you're that interested, inquisitive (or nosy :p ) in knowing much more about me, then feel free to figure out my geek code :D

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Version: 3.1

GFA/GPA d s-: a- C++ L U-- P! L++ E-- W+ N* o o+ K+ w+

O--- M- V-- PS++(+++) PE(+++) Y+ PGP-- t+ 5- X+ R(+) tv+(++)

b+++(++++) DI(+) D-- G e> h! r>++ x?

------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Nice to meet all you new and old members.

*huggles*

Back