Iriver Is Working On A "psp Killer"

And this is related to the gp2x because....?

Because it's another Korean company creating a handheld media player / gaming console that will compete directly with the GP2X and XGP. The form factor and screen size look about the same. According to the article it will have wireless networking, and if it is based on the PMP-120, it will have a hard drive. These seem to be the two features that most people want to add to the GP2X.

Whether this device will be able to compete with the GP2X based on price, open format, or top-notch dev. community remains to be seen. Heck, it might never come out at all. But the fact that a larger local competitor is working on a product that competes directly with the GP2X might just light a fire under GPH's ass. If the guy next door is about to one-up you, then you need to start working on one-upping HIM. Like I said, competition is a good thing.

The most interesting part to me is how they came right out and called it a "PSP killer". GPH and most of the people on this board have been very careful not to use language like that. We all know that there are several areas in which the GP2X just plain can't compete with the PSP. Likewise, there are some areas where the PSP can't compete with the GP2X. The Manufacturer and the community have tried to portray the PSP and GP2X as "separate, but equal". iRiver must have a hell of a powerful system in the works to claim it will outclass the PSP. That, or they're just plain arrogant.

Either way, I look forward to some interesting developments.

Last edited by a moderator:
PSP Killer? Add them up side Tapwave, Nokia, and Gizmondo then :)

Competition is good, but bragging is silly.. its pretty much fortold they can't win, and probably shouldn't even spend the money; to us, competition is good, but its going ot hurt them :) (ie: They could make a small indie claim, in which case the bragging is inappropriate.. but they do have more brand recog than GPH does. The best they coudl do is an XBox.. lose on every device, but hope to make a possible iRiver GamerThing 2)

jeff

Heh, if its any good of course i will supply it, but I don't think those 4 buttons would be useable, and how would you hold it to have all four fingers on them exactly?

I see you actually have no clue.
Just look at this picture:

IMG00201.jpg

I know it's not the right handheld, as I don't have an iRiver yet.
But as you can see, I can easily place all four fingers on where the buttons of the iRiver would be.

This is the first true Multiplayer Handheld! You need a second player who looks at the screen and tells you which button you need to press :)

It will rock for sure!

Last edited:
Heh, if its any good of course i will supply it, but I don't think those 4 buttons would be useable, and how would you hold it to have all four fingers on them exactly?

I see you actually have no clue.
Just look at this picture:

IMG00201.jpg

I know it's not the right handheld, as I don't have an iRiver yet.
But as you can see, I can easily place all four fingers on where the buttons of the iRiver would be.

This is the first true Multiplayer Handheld! You need a second player who looks at the screen and tells you which button you need to press :)

It will rock for sure!

:lol:

if it's ANYTHING it's a GPX killer as nothing korea puts out is going to put a dent in it's market share anywhere except MAYBE in Korean and even then it's only likely a single digit percentage.

Also this picture has been circulating forever. it's a mock up, not the finished product. If they even remotely expect to sell games that button set up is completely broken.

Speaking of PSP killer, check out the link below:

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=70449

If that doesn't spell d-e-a-t-h for PSP, I don't know what else.

Only three reasonable looking games there, and that's assuming the RPG doesn't fall over like the Lunar DS one did. And wowsers, what's up with the metroid shot. Looks like the DS crashed or something. With the platformers (barring Princess Peach which looks girlish and amusing, enough for me to buy it anyway), it's new looks at old styles, why should i buy the DS version of SMB when i have it on three consoles and three handhelds?

Also, PSP is getting games too. Their initial lineup was poor, i have to admit, but the promise of new games such as Tales of Eternia, Armoured Core, Popolocrois, infected and legend of heroes gives alot of hope for the PSP. Me, i'm waiting for a price drop... it's nice and all, but i have a DS, GBA-SP and a Neo Geo Pocket Colour i still use regulary.

It's amusing, i think, that another "little people" company makes a handheld, much like Gamepark have done, but it's suddenly the point of ridicule and fanboy-esque bashing. Who knows what this Iriver handheld would be like. Maybe it will beat the GP2x hands down in terms of hardware, software and maybe even support. Who knows. Instead of going "OMFG LOLZOR GP2X 4 LIFEZ!!!11oneone" why not see how it goes. The Zodiac got a reasonable following, even after people went screwball-scramble over how "awful it was compared to the GP32" (and then a bunch of the devs went off to work their magic on it).

Yeah the games are way better than the psp. Too bad the DS is just inferior (IMO), but then again, if the games are good who cares? I saw a vid of the new Castlevania for DS and I would buy a DS just to play that and Children of Mana :)

muzzaro, there are a lot more than 3 good games in that DS lineup! psp will probably get 3 games total in the next 6 months :D
legend of heroes looks nice, though! armored core psp looks boring and dull and will most likely not keep your interest for long, probably another dynasty warriors, heh.

Back