Is Anyone Getting Zelda OoT For The 3DS?

Jumpman

Advanced Member
Since this game is due out this weekend in most major regions, I thought I would see who plans to buy it?

Who is actually new to this game?

Is anyone getting a 3DS for OoT?

Do you feel this is the greatest game ever made?

How do you like the new 3D aspect?

How does it hold up 13 years later?

What are your overall thoughts on OoT?

Well, for me personally, I have not played it all the way thru since it was originally released in 98. At that time, I did think it was one of the best games I had ever played, and was for sure one of my top 5 greatest titles ever. I also remember Metal Gear Solid came out that year, and I actually gave that game a slightly higher rating at the time, as it was an entire "NEW" experiance for me personally.

Zelda games are always awesome, but they all have the same basic game play format(village, dungeon, new item, new village, next dungeon, new item, ect). I had never played a Metal Gear title at that time, and I was just blown away by that whole game. Zelda OoT was a spectacular game, but it just felt like I had done it all before, due to the way all Zelda games are made. So at that time, I gave MGS the upper hand.

Now let's move forward to 2011, and I think I have completed every Zelda game exept MM, which I found to be maybe the greatest Zelda title to this point, but I never finished it, so I can't say for sure. It totaly took the zelda formula, and turned it upside down, and made an entirely new gaming experiance out of it. The whole time aspect of the gameplay made it great, but also made it tedious at times, and I'm guessing that is why I never finished it.

I would love to see MM get this kind of reboot, but I doubt it will ever happen. So if I ever want to complete that game, I'll have to hope N64 emulation steps up on the Pandora, or I'll have to wait for the Pandora 2 I guess! :lol:

So I'm very much looking forward to getting OoT again tommorow, and to see how it holds up after all this time. Plus, I love playing games in 3D on my 3DS(I know some don't use it to often). I never turn it off unless my son wants to watch me play. I think the effects just make every game look awesome, I just love it!

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I'm getting the one shown below. Have to get DM one too. It's already out in Europe, you know.

But it doesn't come out in Aussie Land till the 30th of June. :(

153997_detail.jpg

1. Not me.

2. Yes, undoubtedly.

3. It will be in the OFF position 99% of the time...does that answer your question?

4. Awesome to say the least. It never seems to age, imo.

5. Best game ever created. Miyamoto san is a genius!!!

@Jumpman: Play though MM! That's an order. :D

You can always find a USB controller for like $20; perfect for N64 emulation on a PC.
I've got 2 adaptoids, and 1 or 2 original N64 controllers. So I think I've got proper playing covered. Sadly, I just never find time to play emulators on my PC much. 75% of all my current gaming is done on handhelds. I can play anywhere, and anytime. I do plan to get back to it at some point, as I still have a Versus strategy guide as well. I have finished most portable Zelda games 2-3 times at least, where the console games only have one play thru.

I am currently building a new office PC, as my old one is on it's last legs. Once that is done, I may slap it on there, as I'm on that PC most of the day doing Ebay, and other things, so I may find the time to finally complete it.

I honestly thought it was one of Nintendo's shining moments up to where I finally stopped. I really couldn't believe how creative a video game it was at the time. It really broke the "Zelda" mould! Sadly, it doesn't get the respect that it deserves(even from Nintendo).

Chris

@Jumpman: Play though MM! That's an order. :D

You can always find a USB controller for like $20; perfect for N64 emulation on a PC.
I've got 2 adaptoids, and 1 or 2 original N64 controllers. So I think I've got proper playing covered. Sadly, I just never find time to play emulators on my PC much. 75% of all my current gaming is done on handhelds. I can play anywhere, and anytime. I do plan to get back to it at some point, as I still have a Versus strategy guide as well. I have finished most portable Zelda games 2-3 times at least, where the console games only have one play thru.

I am currently building a new office PC, as my old one is on it's last legs. Once that is done, I may slap it on there, as I'm on that PC most of the day doing Ebay, and other things, so I may find the time to finally complete it.

I honestly thought it was one of Nintendo's shining moments up to where I finally stopped. I really couldn't believe how creative a video game it was at the time. It really broke the "Zelda" mould! Sadly, it doesn't get the respect that it deserves(even from Nintendo).

Chris

Ah, good answer. I think we all need more time to play the good ol' games.

But yes, MM is by far the best Zelda game I've ever played, though I haven't played anything in the newer generation consoles. MM just had so much more feeling and emotion in it than OOT did.

im picking up at least two copies.

beated it twice before, never played master quest.

imho, it just might be the best game ive ever played, period.

so far, ive only played street fighter, and a few min of pilotwings and nintendogs, dont have the biggest impression of 3d as of yet, but i love it and its always at 100%.

if it didnt come out for 3ds, it mightve been the first game i emulate on pandora, so id say it still holds up damn good gameplay wise.

love the game. i just wish nintendo usa would offer better pre-order deals or something around here so i dont have to bother SONY for an ocarina

But yes, MM is by far the best Zelda game I've ever played, though I haven't played anything in the newer generation consoles. MM just had so much more feeling and emotion in it than OOT did.

MM is huge disappointment after OOT. Only 4 real dungeons and fairly small too. Too many fetch quests and this idiotic 3 day time limit that doesn't real save anything unless you complete the task fully. There really is no excuse for it either. Nintendo used the exact same graphic engine and character designs from OOT along with the expansion pack and delivered 50% less than OOT had to offer. Weird decision making too among the characters abilities like Goron can handle big explosives but not the small bombs. Strange.

MM is huge disappointment after OOT. Only 4 real dungeons and fairly small too. Too many fetch quests and this idiotic 3 day time limit that doesn't real save anything unless you complete the task fully. There really is no excuse for it either. Nintendo used the exact same graphic engine and character designs from OOT along with the expansion pack and delivered 50% less than OOT had to offer. Weird decision making too among the characters abilities like Goron can handle big explosives but not the small bombs. Strange.

Eh, I'm obviously doing to disagree, ha ha.

I've never given much credence to MM being only 'four dungeons'. Does Ikana Castle count as a dungeon? It isn't explicitly a 'temple' or a 'dungeon'; yet it still has the expansive feel and puzzle solving aspect that any of the four dungeons had. There were a few times in OOT where all you did was complete one dungeon and head to the next; nothing in between. What's the fun in that?

The three day cycle I realize is always going to be controversial; but it did add a layer of complexity to the puzzle solving. And the graphics were enhanced a bit; if I remember correctly, OOT had scenes just painted on a wall inside most buildings, while MM rendered everything, yes? Or something like that explained better.

@DaMummy

Yeah, the USA preorder bonus sucks. A free Poster(from gamestop), WOW! For 40 bucks, an Ocarina, stylus, art book would have been nice. I will say we sometimes get good items when other countries don't, so I guess it's all good!

Yeah, I don't use the 3d slider all the way up, but I do use my 3d all the time. I love the effect of it. It just makes the games look so damn cool.

@DisgruntleElf

Yeah, the save system of MM was probably what stopped me from finishing it(a real pain in the ass). If I run it thru emulation though, I can use save states, but not being able to save something until it was completed was a problem originally, but I also understand why they did it that way. The whole game was about sense of urgency, and if you could have saved at anytime, anywhere, it just wouldn't have had the same effect I beleive.

The fetch quest, other characters abilities, and 4 dungeons was what made this game unique and differant to the standard zelda formula. I definetly feel your pain though, as this is why I probably never finished MM, but on the other hand, it is also why I think it may have been the best game of the series. A real love hate relationship I guess. :p

Chris

No. It's an over-rated game that was outshone by its successor (Majora's Mask). It was definitely a revolutionary game, but it didn't age well and I didn't like A Link to the Past all that much. And that's frankly what OoT was. Read any of the interviews from 1997-1998 and you'll see how OoT went from a 3-D ALttP to what we have today.

It's cool that it got an upgrade. They'll have my money when they bring Majora's Mask to the 3DS. That's the good part about this game, though; if it's successful, they might remake MM.

EDIT: There are a lot of ocarina makers. I got mine from St. Louis Ocarina, and they offer Zelda ocs for decent prices. http://stlocarina.com

What I like best about The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is actually the fact that this remake has been treated with attention to detail and quite a bit of effort to both improve it as well as make sure that none of the improvements would negatively impact or just change the gaming experience, and more so than what seems to be typical for Nintendo (although they regularly do similar things with other remakes).

The visuals were redone and so was the audio ( http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/0/1 and http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/0/2 ). Furthermore, this is not a relatively plain and simple re-release because there are so many merchandising items that go with it around the world that are (mostly?) basically "free" for those who preordered the game. If you register your copy with Club Nintendo prior to July 1st (2011), you get a soundtrack CD, and around the world you can get several other special items, such as the Ocarina that SONY mentioned, or the poster that DaMummy mentioned, amongst others (in Germany you got this The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D 3DS pouch when you preordered the game, Greece has Deku Tree Seeds amongst other things).

Got my preorder in a while ago. I'm pissed though, Gamestop sent me a text stating that it could be picked up at 12:01 A.M. and that they wanted people to come in at 10:00P.M. to pay it in full if you hadn't already. Luckily I called first because they aren't actually doing a release party for it like they did for the 3DS itself. Only a few that individually choose to do so are staying open late. Anyway, I'm a big Zelda fan so I'm all over any new games that come out!

just to throw it out there for usa customers, target is having a buy zelda game, get another 3ds game 50% off, and best buy is having a buy zelda game, get $25 gift card

just to throw it out there for usa customers, target is having a buy zelda game, get another 3ds game 50% off, and best buy is having a buy zelda game, get $25 gift card
Yeah, that is a good deal that I read about earlier in the week. Sadly, I already have the few games that are of any slight interest to me, so this deal was DOA for me personally.

@Nognir

That is a good question, and I'll add it to the top. I read the gamefaqs forum all the time, and there are a ton of people getting the 3DS for this game. Most people just weren't that impressed with the launch games, and this is the first triple A title to arrive.

Also, so many players have fond memories of this classic, so 3DS sales should take a HUGE jump this month, and go back down until Mario Kart or something else BIG arrives. It sucks that Japan gets Starfox 64 next month, and we have to wait until september, but I know Nintendo is just trying to get sales up over there, as I believe they have the poorest sales worldwide.

I really belive they should try to get at least a half way decent game released every month everywhere. As poor sales are happening everywhere and really the main reason is lack of quality software.

Chris

EDIT: There are a lot of ocarina makers. I got mine from St. Louis Ocarina, and they offer Zelda ocs for decent prices. http://stlocarina.com
Heyz~

Thanks, they look like quality goods. I might get one, because I know damn well that the one I'll be getting on the 30th will only be a cheap plastic piece of crapolla.

I bought one of their black transverse ocarinas and it sounds great. My technique is still a bit lacking, but they make fine instruments. If you're willing to commit yourself, they sell concert-quality ocarinas.

I'm interested in getting a Hind ocarina, too: http://hindocarina.com Simply gorgeous wood ocs. Unfortunately, those babies run hundreds of dollars due to being handmade.

Yeah, that is a good deal that I read about earlier in the week. Sadly, I already have the few games that are of any slight interest to me, so this deal was DOA for me personally.

@Nognir

That is a good question, and I'll add it to the top. I read the gamefaqs forum all the time, and there are a ton of people getting the 3DS for this game. Most people just weren't that impressed with the launch games, and this is the first triple A title to arrive.

Also, so many players have fond memories of this classic, so 3DS sales should take a HUGE jump this month, and go back down until Mario Kart or something else BIG arrives. It sucks that Japan gets Starfox 64 next month, and we have to wait until september, but I know Nintendo is just trying to get sales up over there, as I believe they have the poorest sales worldwide.

I really belive they should try to get at least a half way decent game released every month everywhere. As poor sales are happening everywhere and really the main reason is lack of quality software.

Chris

To be fair, the 3DS suffers from a lower battery life than the DS line (due to Nintendo skimping. It only has a 1300 mAh battery, when the XL has 1050) and that is what turned off a lot of people. If they released a model that had a 2000 mAh battery and sold it for something reasonable (even $200 would be more fair), it would sell more. Early adopters know that the great titles are always a few years out from launch, but I and a lot of other early adopters haven't bought the 3DS because aside from graphics, it's not offering anything better than the DS. My XL lasts longer and doesn't take forever to load DS games.

I (and others) really want to like the 3DS but can't look past the poor DS load time and atrocious battery. Software comes with time, but batteries and poor firmware are harder to fix.

Back