Is Everything On Track For Early April Production?

Lets face it ,i don't think it is a software issue alone in regards to the
wifi ,if it was software then we wouldn't all be talking about this ,remember
that there are many other software issues in reegards to the OS and also
graphics chip at the moment and these issues will be there at the time of shipping
yet OP feel that the the board may have to be revised so this tells me
that it's either hardware or near impossible to get a software driver/fix
for this chip.

with this problem i would imagine that OP should come clean about it and
state that no Pandora units will be sent out unless those who actuly
are willing to accept permenant non working wifi are happy to take it.

I don't think so many of you would say yes to that ,i then think that is
why OP have offered only 1000 units ,this is not as much a problem to replace
in the future when things settle down ,not all 4000 as that would be madness.

OP are offering this as they know how much shit they are in and really need
to get the device out now in the wild ,but i also think a board revision
will be needed so the other 3000 of us are going to have to wait quite
a few months now.

sorry to put it like this but i would bet on it that i am right.

Paddy

notaz said:
Creature XL said:
10k Euro is about 1 months for 2 people working 40h a week full time on the problem.
You won't find such people easily. You might find someone claiming he can solve your problems, but in reality they'll just take your money and waste your time.

It's always in the media, that there are Millions of talented, but employless IT-Professionals out there. ;) I bet, there are enough bored people with enough skill to solve the WIFI Problem within a weekend. Make a contest or something, I don't know. :)
And OF COURSE you pay them only AFTER they solved the problem, so you dond't have bad surprises.

Crazy Idea: Maybe there should be an Online diagnostic program, we all plug our Pandoras (if we get them) online and you can remote every Pandora unit to check similarities in the WiFi behavior and find the issues ^^"""

I really wonder, how the other devices out there with the same WiFi Chip manages to get this all working. MWeston says, he used the exact specs to connect the Chip, and I trust him. So actual it can't be a Board issue. maybe texas Instruments knows more?

Oh, 30-50Kilobyte/sec is not that bad. I surfed with an 56 KiloBIT Modem until the end of 2009, thats are 6-7Kilobyte/sec maximum...and it worked. :D
You can forget Youtube but to read Forums, it is more than enough. And if the Pandora PING is fast and not affected from the WIFI Issues, we can play very niceley with 30kB/sec. :)

I hope, not more Hardware-releated Issues are come to Daylight. The problem is, that at the beginning, most Software is "softwaremode only", no Hardware Acceleration etc. So we really know, that (for example) Hardware-Video-Acceleration works? Do the SGX and the DSP Chip do all their possible functions? Are there no "Bottle Necks" that makes it impossible to use certain Chipset-Features that should work "in theory"? maybe it is a good Idea to check this sooner or later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Send me the two Pandora's I've ordered, and I will dedicate 40 hours working on this WLAN issue for free. EDIT: Just FYI, I am employed at THALES corporation as an embedded systems/firmware engineer, and I write drivers just like this for a living. If there is a driver issue, I will fix it. If its hardware, I will use all my resources (faraday cage, logic analyzer, WLAN radio receivers, etc.) to determine just what the hardware is doing and why its causing problems.

If I could pick one element of the Pandora to be problematic / non-functional, it would be wifi. A hardware issue with the nubs would be a problem.

Wifi shouldn't be a deal breaker. Especially if they're offering dongles / replacement boards in the future.

I think people must be venting on the wifi problem when they've actually just lost patience in general. There's some great positivity in most threads, but people who are venting... Try to have empathy... 4000 people complaining isn't motivating. Do the OP team need motivation? Would cancellation threats make them do things differently? 3000+ other people are funding and following the project silently / offering support. Having 4000 people complain would be the end of the project. Just thoughts.

Xtreme2k said:
+1 for shipping at least one pandora to torpor ASAP :)
+1

Personally, I think people are making more of an issue of this then there must be. Currently, I'm more worried about craig's/ED's business then about the hardware, cause free dongle PLUS later hardware exchange could be very very expensive. There's hope I'm in the first 1000 ^^

hi i am in first 1000 and would like my pandora asap :)

the number of times i could connect to wifi away from home usefully when using mu ipod touch i could count on one hand!

thanks!

A few questions.

1. How is Openpandora going to pay for 4000x 150e ( I dunno the exact price, it might be more) for each new board? Or do you have to wait a year for a new board if it seems to be a hw issue
2. What is the chance of this being a hw issue (cause everything seems to be working from here as someone who reads the boards, but it seems to be working just not good enough.
3. Do you promise youll give us a new board?
4. Cant you make a small setup to test if its a hw issue or sw issue?

paddy said:
Lets face it ,i don't think it is a software issue alone in regards to the
wifi ,if it was software then we wouldn't all be talking about this ,remember
that there are many other software issues in reegards to the OS and also
graphics chip at the moment and these issues will be there at the time of shipping
yet OP feel that the the board may have to be revised so this tells me
that it's either hardware or near impossible to get a software driver/fix
for this chip.

with this problem i would imagine that OP should come clean about it and
state that no Pandora units will be sent out unless those who actuly
are willing to accept permenant non working wifi are happy to take it.

I don't think so many of you would say yes to that ,i then think that is
why OP have offered only 1000 units ,this is not as much a problem to replace
in the future when things settle down ,not all 4000 as that would be madness.

OP are offering this as they know how much shit they are in and really need
to get the device out now in the wild ,but i also think a board revision
will be needed so the other 3000 of us are going to have to wait quite
a few months now.

sorry to put it like this but i would bet on it that i am right.

Paddy

As far as I know the wifi works, but poorly, so then the hardware is obviously OK.

Creature XL said:
EvilDragon said:
However, we have no money to pay a team to get WiFi working.

This is something I can't understand. You would pay 1000 * 10EURO (that is price at AMAZON I could find). That equals 10k Euro.
I am pretty sure you can find a small expert team which does it for 10k. That are just the minimal costs. [if you] have to send WIFI dongles with all 4000 Ps then it will be even more.

Hiring good programers is not easy. Hiring consultants (which is what you're talking about.) is very expensive, and still rather hard.

You need to expect to spend a month just finding a guy. If you're not offering long-term employment you're going to have to pay a lot for someone with high quality skills.

torpor said:
Send me the two Pandora's I've ordered, and I will dedicate 40 hours working on this WLAN issue for free. EDIT: Just FYI, I am employed at THALES corporation as an embedded systems/firmware engineer, and I write drivers just like this for a living. If there is a driver issue, I will fix it. If its hardware, I will use all my resources (faraday cage, logic analyzer, WLAN radio receivers, etc.) to determine just what the hardware is doing and why its causing problems.

Send a Pandora to him straight away... if he can make it he'll save your project basically...

Also Craig mentioned in another post that they won't send any of the remaining 3000 until the speed issue is fixed. Does that mean that if there's a HW issue and a board revision is needed all people above the 1000 will have to wait for it??? No, seriously, please clarify this point...

torpor said:

I'd say thats an offer they can't refuse.

What's your order number :p

torpor said:

Pandora team, I have another suggestion...
Check this guy's credentials.
If he checks out, tear an early MP machine out of some other dev's hands and overnight it to him.

Monk said:
mhadf said:
45 Kilobytes (KB) Max = 360 Kilobits (Kb) max... Sounds fine to me.

That speed in the UK is about 1/5th of your 2Mb ADSL line. What's the problem again?

Well, to be fair I've got a 10Mb Cable connection here in the UK, so it's about one twenty-seventh of my speed, at peak. But I'm darned lucky to see actual speeds of 10Mbps - the peak is FAR above the average.
It's not just speed. They said that it's dropping packets. Depending on how bad it is, that could make it damn near unusable, regardless of how fast or slow it goes.

Naw(mcx) said:
I just want to chip in and say that WiFi is a big of my plan, and need it pretty speedy too. So this is kinda annoying.
Agreed. For me, Pandora's big attraction is its utility as a multi-purpose device. Like a computer swiss-army knife.
Without Wifi the Pandora's gaming functionality remains in place, but many of its other potential uses fall away. A Wifi dongle is an acceptable stop-gap,(I believe I've said so in the past.), but it does impinge on the thing's pocket-ability, so it'd be sad if this was a long-term fix.

Well there is a chance topor cant solve it as well and we dont know IF there is even a pandora around for him to tinker with. However I wouldnt mind him having one.

Back