Is It Worth It?

OMars

Website
Visit site
First off, I'd like to let everyone know that I've been gone for just over a year. And I do know the basics about the wiz (hardware, battery life, etc). I just haven't been around for all the software releases and such.

I see that these things seem to go for $150+ (180?). On top of that one would need an SD card. Although cards may not cost too much, it adds up.

What would make buying a wiz more worth it than, say, a DS Lite($130 tops) with a flash card (~20) + memory (10-20)? I mean for less than the price of just the wiz, you get double the screen (yeah I realize the pixel difference), an equivalent microphone, wi-fi, a gameboy advance game slot, far better battery life, and on top of the emulators, the commercial DS games that are still being released. Is there something I'm missing that makes this worth the price?

I'm not trying to stop people from buying it or some shit, so don't take it that way. I'm just trying to make up my mind. I'm getting a new job next month and I'd like a new system when I get my first check. No fanboys please. Just help me out.

It depends on what you want it for. If you want it for several nice emulators for RETRO gaming, then I would say it's worth it. If you want high quality games with multiplayer support and professional graphics, then I would say forget it. The Wiz is also advertised as a multimedia device, but support for media types is very poor, making multimedia on it BARELY better than the DS paired with a flash card that can play DPGs.

If you want a device for nice emulation and portability, then get the Wiz. If you want Wifi, good graphics, and a huge library of possible games, then stick with the DS, or even better, a Pandora.

OMars said:
First off, I'd like to let everyone know that I've been gone for just over a year. And I do know the basics about the wiz (hardware, battery life, etc). I just haven't been around for all the software releases and such.

I see that these things seem to go for $150+ (180?). On top of that one would need an SD card. Although cards may not cost too much, it adds up.

What would make buying a wiz more worth it than, say, a DS Lite($130 tops) with a flash card (~20) + memory (10-20)? I mean for less than the price of just the wiz, you get double the screen (yeah I realize the pixel difference), an equivalent microphone, wi-fi, a gameboy advance game slot, far better battery life, and on top of the emulators, the commercial DS games that are still being released. Is there something I'm missing that makes this worth the price?

I'm not trying to stop people from buying it or some shit, so don't take it that way. I'm just trying to make up my mind. I'm getting a new job next month and I'd like a new system when I get my first check. No fanboys please. Just help me out.
What makes it worth it is your uses. If you want emulators the DS sucks. 256 x 192 is too low for most emulated systems they won't fit on such a low res screen. In this case the Wiz is best.

If you want commercial stuff obviously the DS wins hands down.

If you want both then you can get the DS for the commercial stuff and put up with crappy emulators with reduced scaled down or cut off screens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses. Although they were slightly vague and few in number, I guess I know what I'd rather have. Now I play the waiting game.

Back