Wiz Or Gp2x?

I've been wondering about this enthusiasm with the linux build on dingoo. Do people really think it'll take off to such an extent that it'll be the standard? I mean lets compare with gmenu2x got 14k downloads out of a userbase of 60k. Is that sufficient to warrant development that's incompatible with all other units sold?

I mean, I'm an avid tinker and I like your point about professional/competent devs doing OS work. But I'm still not convinced that it'll gain momentum enough to be more than niche of the larger niche. Not that work like this is unimportant, free software pretty much guarantees to an extent that work done somewhere can be used elsewhere.

That said, I'm looking forward to a linux distro on the wiz, since it has a clock and a touchscreen so it could work as a decent pda. When is open2x ported? :) just kidding, no hurries, I never got around to installing it on the gp2x either.

All this pointless argument over gindoo vs wiz vs pandora, did we all forget why we are all here buying these open source products to begin with? ....

WE HATE PSP!

Exophase posted on May 19 2009 at 07:00 AM said:
It's not just that it costs less than half what Wiz does.
That's the reason why I bought a Dingoo: the price. After the GP2X fiasco, I promised myself that I wouldn't spend more than 75€ on (yet another) portable console so the Wiz is out of the question.

For those who don't care about money: get the Wiz.

Last edited by a moderator:
just kidding, no hurries, I never got around to installing it on the gp2x either.
Wiz is already running Linux >_>

Yes I think that Linux on Dingoo will be the standard, because otherwise you won't be able to run the software written for Linux that'll be released for it. It's nothing like gmenu2x which is just a front end. There's only a small amount of homebrew right now and Linux is already about ready to be used, so chances are that most homebrew in the future will be written for it. Since it'll make development easier I doubt anyone will want to not use it, and eventually people might be using it exclusively on their Dingoos.

I know, but a distro is more than just the kernel. But OK, I made a mistake :( I suppose with the limited amount of memory we won't be seeing angstrom or matchbox on it. As for your assessment, I suppose I'll give it a shot when chip tells me. err. when I have the money. I still think lack of touchscreen just makes it a gp2x f100 wannabe.

klikklak posted on May 19 2009 at 07:44 PM said:
I know, but a distro is more than just the kernel. But OK, I made a mistake :( I suppose with the limited amount of memory we won't be seeing angstrom or matchbox on it. As for your assessment, I suppose I'll give it a shot when chip tells me. err. when I have the money. I still think lack of touchscreen just makes it a gp2x f100 wannabe.
Linux is not a distro, and GP2X contains more than just the kernel. DJWillis has actually succeeded in running Angstrom + Matchbox on Wiz, although I don't know the details nor do I know if he's interested in releasing anything. I'm running Angstrom/Opie on a 64MB ARM9 board next to me, so I'm sure it can be done. Wouldn't count on running something like Firefox, but it's a pretty moot poitn since Wiz doesn't have wifi or ethernet.

If you ask me, Dingoo (barring flaws I don't know about) is much more than a GP2X F100 wannabe, since it doesn't repeat many of the mistakes that went into the F100. This includes a horrible control stick, power by AA batteries, USB and power sockets that get in the way of holding it, an SoC that contains a bunch of almost useless things thus drawing more power than it should, poor build control with an overall hollow feel and internal components often falling out or failing.

Some people care about touchscreen, others don't. If you're interested in using a handheld primarily to emulate consoles like a lot of people are then you're probably not going to care that much about it. I personally find touchscreen game input to be on the annoying side. If you don't care about touchscreen and you don't care about a 3D core that may not be well utilized then the Wiz doesn't look like much less of a GP2X F100 wannabe than the Dingoo does.

On the other hand, Dingoo does have less memory than the GP2X or Wiz, a rather depressing 32MB by today's standards.

Exophase posted on May 19 2009 at 09:01 PM said:
I'm running Angstrom/Opie on a 64MB ARM9 board next to me
Hah, we have GPE for the GP2X, and I have run both GPE and Opie on my 32MB iPAQ before.

Orkie posted on May 20 2009 at 01:28 PM said:
Exophase posted on May 19 2009 at 09:01 PM said:
I'm running Angstrom/Opie on a 64MB ARM9 board next to me
Hah, we have GPE for the GP2X, and I have run both GPE and Opie on my 32MB iPAQ before.
Okay, good? Why are you laughing at me? I wasn't bragging ;P

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but:

The GP2x is out now, has mature software and TV OUT AND USB SUPPORT!
Thats the killer app for this sort of thing surely? you, some friends, some beers, and lots of retro fun!

It's the reason I cancelled my Wiz preorder.
Its why I didn't bother renewing my Pandora preorder.
And its why the Dingoo doesn't even get a moments consideration at the moment.

Until one of these devices is out, with all that, surely the GP2x is supreme?

Back