Wiz Or Gp2x?

The wiz has just come out the emulators are ofcourse going to evolve with the handheld since the updates and such and specs wise the wiz is better and that will show with time

darkriku posted on May 17 2009 at 03:51 AM said:
The wiz has just come out the emulators are ofcourse going to evolve with the handheld since the updates and such and specs wise the wiz is better and that will show with time
Yes, but how much better is it?

This is what I really, really want to know. The GP2X had some excellent specs for the time - marketed as a dual-core 200mhz handheld, it sounded fantastic. It wasn't though, was it? The Wiz has the chance to really up their game (looks lovely too), and produce something that really moves. I'd love some proper benchmarks to be made and shown, but if I'm going to have to wait until the software is matured to the point that it was on the '2x, I'll not be buying the Wiz for quite some time - I am not making the same mistake twice :(

Can anyone get some meaningful tests done on this?

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing some initial Wiz FPS numbers.

If you can do GP2X numbers it would help.

I'd suggest doing FPS numbers at 200mhz and ~260mhz on the GP2X, as that covers any variation in the speed people are used to running the 2X at.

I'll equal the overclock on the Wiz.

Shall we test the usual two, SNES & MAME? We know most other machines should be full speed anyway because they are on the GP2X.

craigix posted on May 17 2009 at 02:03 PM said:
I'm doing some initial Wiz FPS numbers.

If you can do GP2X numbers it would help.

I'd suggest doing FPS numbers at 200mhz and ~260mhz on the GP2X, as that covers any variation in the speed people are used to running the 2X at.

I'll equal the overclock on the Wiz.

Shall we test the usual two, SNES & MAME? We know most other machines should be full speed anyway because they are on the GP2X.
It has no sense, and you know it <_<

Why do you say that? People want to know the performance of emulators, it's one of the big draws for the Wiz. How come it's suddenly not OK? I've seen you post FPS numbers before, so to hide the Wiz FPS results is just bizarre.

craigix posted on May 17 2009 at 04:32 PM said:
Why do you say that? People want to know the performance of emulators, it's one of the big draws for the Wiz. How come it's suddenly not OK? I've seen you post FPS numbers before, so to hide the Wiz FPS results is just bizarre.
The MAME4ALL FPS numbers (Wiz Vs Gp2x) are now better than my old ones. I will post them soon.
But it has no sense to do SNES performance numbers because the GP2X emulators are great but the WIZ one is only an unoptimized SNES9X port.

Also you say: I'll equal the overclock on the Wiz.
But the overclockings are not comparable:
- GP2X: Standard clock 200 MHz, overclocking up to 250 MHz (my GP2X).
- WIZ: Standard clock 533 MHz, overclocking up to 800 MHz (my WIZ).

The WIZ has been just released (and nobody here knows it because gp32x.de doesn't post news about the WIZ).
The WIZ emulators are only unoptimized ports yet. Anyway they are quite good and they will be improved with time.
The WIZ is faster than the GP2X.

What are you trying to do Craigix? Flame the WIZ? Try to convince the WIZ is worse than a GP2X?
In such case, it's not true and it has no sense (at least no well-meaning sense).

Craigix, you don't imagine the damage you are making to the GP2X, WIZ, DINGOO and PANDORA scenes, and the whole open handhelds scene (assuming the Dingoo could be considered as open handheld and assuming the Pandora will be released, anyway good luck with it). A joined scene is better than a splitted one, and i only see a splitted scene in the near future...

For example, i'm personally fed up and i won't code anything for the Pandora or the Dingoo.

250/200 = 1.25 = 125% default clock achievable on GP2x
800/533 = ~1.5 = 150% default clock achievable on Wiz

So if craig wants to overclock equally he should surely only overclock the Wiz to 533 *1.5 = 666mhz.

Of course we all know it doesn't work quite like that but is that what you mean by it has no sense? Of course it shows that the Wiz would seem to be able to overclock relatively more than the GP2x can.

If Craig wants to bash the Wiz, then let him do it. It'll only hurt him in the end if he wants to flame something that he has to sell. :lol:

Remember that the idea for the Pandora came from GPH. Without that company, and without its success, then I'm sure that the Pandora wouldn't have been theorized. Don't bash the company that started you on perhaps the greatest hand-held device ever built!

I agree completely with Franxis. I'm positive that the emulators on the Wiz will increase in performance over time, and I believe there is a very good chance that SNES and Genesis emulation will reach a perfect state. The Genesis emulation looks great already, it just needs to be remade with OpenGLES so the tearing issue is fixed (Tearing doesn't seem that bad, though...) I can't wait to try MAME when my Wiz comes on Monday! Thanks for your contributions, Franxis! :D

Franxis posted on May 17 2009 at 04:29 PM said:
For example, i'm personally fed up and i won't code anything for the Pandora or the Dingoo.
A lot of Pandora and Dingoo owners are going to be disappointed. Franxis is one of the best and dedicated Devs in the scene.

Hirolaser posted on May 17 2009 at 06:47 PM said:
Franxis posted on May 17 2009 at 04:29 PM said:
A lot of Pandora and Dingoo owners are going to be disappointed. Franxis is one of the best and dedicated Devs in the scene.
MAME4ALL has been already ported by Zodttd to the iPhone, the Pandora and probably the Dingoo in the future, without any e-mail notifying me (for courtesy?) and of course without releasing the source code. I cancelled my Dingoo order as soon as i got news about Zodttd's port to the Dingoo.

This flaming is getting really old. I used to be able to read all of the forums here happily, but all of this childish bickering and bullshit partisan politics makes me feel like I'm watching an open source handheld edition of fox news. I've seen people trying to blame others for "killing the scene" but, really, the only thing killing it is the close mindedness.

I despise meat loaf (the food), but I like burgers. Do do I raise hell every time anyone mentions meatloaf? No. I can understand that these foods are created from similar ingredients and that there could be some crossover cuisine involved. These are positive things and I will gladly give my complements to the chef any day, no matter the dish!

There is room for us all especially now that we have this great new/upgraded forum. I miss the intellectual banter of old.

Please, try to remember what originally brought you here.

, but I like burgers. Do do I raise hell every time anyone mentions meatloaf? No. I can understand that these foods are created from similar ingredients and that there could be some crossover cuisine involved. These are positive things and I will gladly give my complements to the chef any day, no matter the dish!

There is room for us all especially now that we have this great new/upgraded forum. I miss the intellectual banter of old.

Please, try to remember what originally brought you here.
Well uh, I'm new here. I haven't seen any 'bickering'. But then again, I only post in the wiz section...

DasFool posted on May 18 2009 at 05:21 AM said:
makes me feel like I'm watching an open source handheld edition of fox news.
That gets a LOL :)

Franxis, craigix did do the same thing when the GP2X was released, comparing FPS to the GP32's results, so I don't think there is any difference here doing it for the Wiz. There have been a lot of people asking for comparisons to see if they should upgrade.

I agree the results will probably be very different in a few weeks though, thanks to the great work of people such as yourself!

Franxis posted on May 18 2009 at 01:29 AM) [quote="craigix posted on May 17 2009 at 04:32 PM said:
The MAME4ALL FPS numbers (Wiz Vs Gp2x) are now better than my old ones. I will post them soon.
But it has no sense to do SNES performance numbers because the GP2X emulators are great but the WIZ one is only an unoptimized SNES9X port.

Also you say: I'll equal the overclock on the Wiz.
But the overclockings are not comparable:
- GP2X: Standard clock 200 MHz, overclocking up to 250 MHz (my GP2X).
- WIZ: Standard clock 533 MHz, overclocking up to 800 MHz (my WIZ).

The WIZ has been just released (and nobody here knows it because gp32x.de doesn't post news about the WIZ).
The WIZ emulators are only unoptimized ports yet. Anyway they are quite good and they will be improved with time.
The WIZ is faster than the GP2X.

What are you trying to do Craigix? Flame the WIZ? Try to convince the WIZ is worse than a GP2X?
In such case, it's not true and it has no sense (at least no well-meaning sense).

Craigix, you don't imagine the damage you are making to the GP2X, WIZ, DINGOO and PANDORA scenes, and the whole open handhelds scene (assuming the Dingoo could be considered as open handheld and assuming the Pandora will be released, anyway good luck with it"]. A joined scene is better than a splitted one, and i only see a splitted scene in the near future...

For example, i'm personally fed up and i won't code anything for the Pandora or the Dingoo.[/quote]I have great respect for your work Franxis, but lately you seem to be chucking a lot of hissy fits (see GP2X news section) regarding the Wiz. All I can say is: grow up, there is no giant conspiracy against the Wiz on these forums. As users and developers, we will all judge the device on its merits – and that includes (early) benchmarks. This goes to all the 'overly sensitive' Wiz devs out there.

I wish I knew what the big fuss was about here >_>

I don't think Wiz emulators will mature the way GP2X ones have. On the contrary, we should see most of GP2X's emulators at their best directly on the Wiz. If the emulators get better then they should get better for both platforms. GP2X saw a lot of improvement for SNES, Genesis, and PC-Engine emulation. This work doesn't have to be done all over again for Wiz. Once the 3D engine is used to scale and rotate the screen then it should offer everything GP2X could except for playing on the second core.

I do think comparing the crappy SNES9x port to an SNES emulator on the GP2X is a bad idea, but why not the PocketSNES port? Comparing that with how PocketSNES runs on GP2X should be fine (NOT with SquidgeSNES) and the same goes for Picodrive, GPFCE, and Temper, although I'd wait for notaz's official port on the former two. Maybe get someone to review some of the questionable ports to make sure they're not botching anything.

Franxis; If you ask me, you come off as a hypocrite.. talking about how craigix is splitting the scene, but then stating outright that you won't develop for Pandora or Dingoo, even going so far as to cancel your order on the Dingoo. All because you're unhappy with zodttd, who doesn't represent either handheld, and for that matter you're blaming him for something he didn't even do yet. Maybe instead of taking it out on the platforms it would have been more productive to actually contact zodttd and ask him to give you credits and release the source code for his iPhone port, if he hasn't already. As far as anything on the Pandora goes, why get so worked up over ports that aren't even publicly available? Aren't you asking for a lot there?

Speaking of which, you want zodttd to send you an e-mail notifying you he's porting MAME4all, do you think he should send an e-mail to every other person who has developed for MAME as well, not to mention credit them all? You are only a small minority of the developer pool there, can you really claim so much attention for it?

and of course without releasing the source code.
He also released PicoDrive as genesis4iphone without even a mention it was PD port in his news or readme (except noting that somewhere deep in his forums). All this was resolved later but I know how this feels.

However this is the risk you take when working on opensource software. You probably heard what happened to gpSP PSP version?

Franxis: Sometimes I slip up. I normally release my iPhone sourcecodes on my github. But you didn't take the courtesy of letting me know! Notaz let me know when I didn't credit him for his port of PicoDrive (which is fDave's work). As he mentioned I resolved it by making sure when I mention genesis4iphone I mention it being a port of PicoDrive by Notaz. I also have the source up on my github of genesis4iphone.

So I must emphasize I am JUST NOW aware of you being upset at me, and I had no clue why you would be until reading this and gp32spain. I will upload the sources of mame4iphone to my github and make note of it on my wiki.

But come on...This is very childish of you. Why all this anger all a sudden? Your reasoning, as pointed out by Exophase is weak, and your actions are just hurting the homebrew scene by going exclusive. Nothing is stopping you from porting your work to the Pandora or Dingoo, just like nothing is stopping me from helping you out with the Wiz port. That is the point of open source, to have it freely available to share and collaborate. That's why MAME leaves their code GPL'd in the first place. Not for strange ego trips or console wars, but for an open collaboration of work.

I've been very quiet while all this GP2X vs Pandora vs Wiz vs Dingoo stuff is going on. I kept to my corner, why pull me into this?!

Back