Wiz Or Gp2x?

RX Shorty: Agreed. :)

Franxis: The source for mame4iphone is now available on my github: github.com/zodttd

GunPei2X posted on May 18 2009 at 09:03 AM said:
Franxis, craigix did do the same thing when the GP2X was released, comparing FPS to the GP32's results, so I don't think there is any difference here doing it for the Wiz. There have been a lot of people asking for comparisons to see if they should upgrade.
All tests with MAME4ALL 2.0, 8 bit color, 22 khz sound and frameskip 0.

Mortal Kombat:
GP2X 250 MHz: 25 fps
WIZ 700 MHz: 46 fps

Out Run:
GP2X 250 MHz: 26 fps
WIZ 700 MHz: 45 fps

Street Fighter 2:
GP2X 250 MHz: 35 fps
WIZ 700 MHz: 57 fps

Last edited by a moderator:
benchmarks. This goes to all the 'overly sensitive' Wiz devs out there.
I think it is different to everything i have seen in the past. GPH releases a new (good) console. gp32x.de doesn't post news about it and its forum threads are not visible from gp32x.de frontpage. But the Pandora ones are visibile. The WIZ has been released, the Pandora will be released in the future. Also Craigix who is supposely to sell the WIZ doesn't write anything positive about it, instead of this he flames the WIZ all the time, and sometimes with falsehood.

Exophase posted on May 18 2009 at 04:14 PM said:
Franxis; If you ask me, you come off as a hypocrite.. talking about how craigix is splitting the scene, but then stating outright that you won't develop for Pandora or Dingoo, even going so far as to cancel your order on the Dingoo. All because you're unhappy with zodttd, who doesn't represent either handheld, and for that matter you're blaming him for something he didn't even do yet. Maybe instead of taking it out on the platforms it would have been more productive to actually contact zodttd and ask him to give you credits and release the source code for his iPhone port, if he hasn't already. As far as anything on the Pandora goes, why get so worked up over ports that aren't even publicly available? Aren't you asking for a lot there?

Speaking of which, you want zodttd to send you an e-mail notifying you he's porting MAME4all, do you think he should send an e-mail to every other person who has developed for MAME as well, not to mention credit them all? You are only a small minority of the developer pool there, can you really claim so much attention for it?
I was expected this kind of off-topic replies...

I agree my comments could seem out of proportion...

I'm not claiming any attention...

I'm fed up and angry, if you think it is due to lack of attention you are wrong.

Franxis posted on May 18 2009 at 10:06 PM said:
All tests with MAME4ALL 2.0, 8 bit color, 22 khz sound and frameskip 0.

Mortal Kombat:

Out Run:

Street Fighter 2:
That seems quite good, a 60-80% increase. I think the Wiz is a nice upgrade (although I prefer the GP2X sized screen). Thanks, Franxis.

zodttd posted on May 18 2009 at 09:01 PM said:
your actions are just hurting the homebrew scene by going exclusive.
What right does anybody here have to suggest that Franxis do anything other than that which he wants in his spare time?

Peter R posted on May 19 2009 at 12:35 AM said:
I'd like to see those tests with the Wiz at 533mhz as well please.
Some GP2X Vs WIZ performance numbers:

Mortal Kombat:
WIZ 533 MHz: 37 fps

Out Run:
WIZ 533 MHz: 37 fps

Street Fighter 2:
WIZ 533 MHz: 48 fps

All tests done with MAME4ALL 2.0, 8 bit color, 22 khz sound and frameskip 0.

Franxis posted on May 19 2009 at 07:12 AM) I think it is different to everything i have seen in the past. GPH releases a new (good said:
console. gp32x.de doesn't post news about it and its forum threads are not visible from gp32x.de frontpage.
Try this:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...st&p=725028

Franxis posted on May 19 2009 at 07:12 AM said:
Also Craigix who is supposely to sell the WIZ doesn't write anything positive about it, instead of this he flames the WIZ all the time, and sometimes with falsehood.
Really? Then how come he gave a balanced comparison of the A-320 and Wiz here, with positive comments about the Wiz?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-33IdcH3Wb8

there is no conspiracy against the wiz and gph though it is very obvious that craig is biased against the wiz. not a big deal as others like evildragon though are behind pandora have and continue to support gph consoles. forum moderators also support the wiz.

i like Franxis' work on mame for gp2x and his wiz port sounds great. i can see him being annoyed by some things but does seem to be going a bit far with some comments and such.

still, i agree its kind of unfair for craig to push immediately for wiz fps numbers on unoptimized ports especially from devs who are still working to get ports where they feel they should be on the wiz. anyway the current mame fps numbers (thanks Franxis) should be a good idea of the speed increase from gp2x to wiz

Peter R posted on May 19 2009 at 12:31 PM said:
I don't remember the video entirely but did he mention that the Dingoo doesn't even have any volume buttons?
His comparison didn't go into that much detail; and that wasn't the point my post. The point is, he has got plenty of positive things to say about the Wiz (where those points exist).

jbrodack posted on May 19 2009 at 12:45 PM said:
there is no conspiracy against the wiz and gph though it is very obvious that craig is biased against the wiz.
As Franxis said, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, including Craig.

jbrodack posted on May 19 2009 at 12:45 PM) still at i agree its kind of unfair for craig to push immediately for wiz fps numbers on unoptimized ports especially from devs who are still working to get ports where they feel they should be on the wiz. anyway the current mame fps numbers (thanks Franxis said:
should be a good idea of the speed increase from gp2x to wiz
Uhhh.. you might want to re-read his original post.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...st&p=725024

Franxis posted on May 18 2009 at 09:22 PM said:
zodttd posted on May 18 2009 at 10:14 PM said:
Franxis: The source for mame4iphone is now available on my github: github.com/zodttd
OK
You're welcome too.

As Franxis said, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, including Craig.

I didn't say that craig wasn't entitled to his own opinion I was just pointing out there is no real conspiracy or anything keeping the wiz out of the community. the closest that is to any reality is that craig really doesn't seem to like the wiz overall. just pointing out the very small extent of any real bias against the wiz for the sake of argument.

Uhhh.. you might want to re-read his original post.

its not just that post its others regarding wiz fps rates and reading between the lines. I might be wrong but craig has seemed more interested in fps rates that would be barely any better or even worse than gp2x than real accurate indications of the wiz's ability to perform. thats just the vibe i get.

I'm not sure if i'd even get a wiz or a pandora though my bias leans toward something from gph since I love the gp2x. As of now I don't see too much a reason to get a wiz already owning a gp2x though that could definitely change in a few months or sooner.

problems.
Stating that the Wiz has faults is not "bias" if those faults are real. The Wiz is not perfect, and neither is the Pandora or A320. In Craig's Wiz / A320 video, he points out several good and bad points about both consoles. Just because someone doesn't shower the device with unconditional praise does not equal "flaming".

I'll be the first to point out that the A320 is far from perfect. The dpad would be perfect if it was just a bit taller, the LCD has a narrow viewing angle, the volume control scheme is idiotic, and Dingoo is being completely retarded by not fixing firmware issues or opening the source to allow others to fix them, and that's not even listing all the firmware-fixable problems that it currently has. All that said, I still own, support and like the device. Just because I'm willing to admid it has flaws does not make me biased against the A320, it just makes me honest.

darkriku posted on May 17 2009 at 03:51 AM said:
The wiz has just come out the emulators are ofcourse going to evolve with the handheld since the updates and such and specs wise the wiz is better and that will show with time
Hopefully but everyone seems to be flipping out, jumping over the moon, flapping their arms, jumping up and down, and going totally apeshit over the Dingoo including most emu developers. I don't see the big deal. I only got the Wiz myself just to have an OLED gaming device for novelty. I think the screen is kind of small on both. I guess these days price is king.

I'm not excited about the Dingoo (or anything else really ;P), but I can see why people would find it appealing. It's not just that it costs less than half what Wiz does. It has a bigger d-pad, proper buttons, better placement of both (imo).. in other words, I think the controls have more potential to work better for some people.

Another thing, and this is going to sound strange, but I think that the Dingoo's situation with code/Linux is much preferable to the Wiz's. By sticking with proprietary software from the start yet using an SoC that has Linux up and running for it they've not just allowed people to bake their own Linux solutions but soon they'll have practically forced people to use it. This means a Linux distro where the knowledgeable devs are in control, which is in quite sharp contrast to the half assed job GPH is doing with Linux on Wiz (and to a greater extent GP2X before it). On the GPH platforms you can't really develop to something like Open2X because you know not everyone is going to be arsed to use it. On Dingoo you have the luxury because people aren't going to have a choice. Like with Pandora, who has competent software people keeping the kernel in line, there is going to be much better quality control with Dingoo Linux than Wiz's.

Course, Wiz has a touchscreen and 3D. But a lot of people aren't going to care about either if they're just using it to play emulators, especially until there are enough compelling things using the 3D well. Really the screen is probably the biggest thing it has going for it, but as craigix has shown it won't withstand direct sunlight. Still looks really good though.

Wiz has the other main advantage of using a CPU architecture with some very mature code for it, and that's much easier to write fast code for.. and when it comes to emulators will probably just get better code all around.

But for now Dingoo has the GBA emulator ;p

Back