Wiz Or Gp2x?

pboreham

Still Fresh
Hi all,

Newbie to the GP scene :)

I'm going away on holiday soon, so want a handheld. I've had a PSP/DS in the past, but more interested in the emulation side of things, so going to get a GP.

I've got a few watched on auction sites, but I notice now the Wiz is meant to be released on next week - is that still right?

For the price of a GP2X F200 I can get a Wiz and just wondered if it is worth going for a Wiz (that sounds wrong!) or getting the F100/200 for now and seeing how the Wiz performs and wait for hardware revisions?

F100 = around £80 / F200 = around £110-120 / Wiz = £130.

All help gratefully received!!

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
The main interest I have in the Wiz has to do with its screen and how it handles in sunlight. That would be what would sway me from the GP2X-F200 to get the Wiz. If it were based on emulation, a PSP-2000 with a non T88v3 motherboard would be better as far as emulation goes. Several people just got some units shipped, so it looks like it will almost be out and some reviews will be up shortly.

'migo' said:
The main interest I have in the Wiz has to do with its screen and how it handles in sunlight. That would be what would sway me from the GP2X-F200 to get the Wiz. If it were based on emulation, a PSP-2000 with a non T88v3 motherboard would be better as far as emulation goes. Several people just got some units shipped, so it looks like it will almost be out and some reviews will be up shortly.
Thanks Migo, I will hold on and see what hands-on reviews bring next week.

Like I say, I had a PSP and all the 'extras' that come with knowing the scene. Didnt really use it a massive amount though and rarely used emulators on it. I guess I'm looking for something smaller and just to run the (almost complete) collection of MAME games I have (built an arcade cabinet a year or so ago).

I understand with MAME there are limitations, I don't know what your collection is like, but it's possible the Wiz might not have the power to handle all of it.

Given Arcade controls, it might be worth looking into the F200 and F100 on account of the stick on the F100 and the stick mod for the F200. Most arcade games I'm aware of had a joystick and had controls based around circular motions that I imagine would create some difficulty on the Wiz.

'migo' said:
I understand with MAME there are limitations, I don't know what your collection is like, but it's possible the Wiz might not have the power to handle all of it.

Given Arcade controls, it might be worth looking into the F200 and F100 on account of the stick on the F100 and the stick mod for the F200. Most arcade games I'm aware of had a joystick and had controls based around circular motions that I imagine would create some difficulty on the Wiz.
I've got quite the MAME collection, but appreciate the more advance games wont work. I'm a bit of an old codger, so prefer the 'good old' games anyway :)

What exactly is the 'cutoff point' as far as MAME is concerned? I mean, what sorts of games would be the borderline as far as what would run well? Like pboreham I'm probably only going to be playing older games that will definitely work, but I don't really know a lot about MAME, especially in relation to the Wiz. I'd rather have some sort of reference point than go through a ridiculous amount of roms playing guess-and-check.

I use the crap out of MAME on my computer, so I'm definitely looking forward to making a lot of those games portable!

'DurTahar' said:
What exactly is the 'cutoff point' as far as MAME is concerned? I mean, what sorts of games would be the borderline as far as what would run well? Like pboreham I'm probably only going to be playing older games that will definitely work, but I don't really know a lot about MAME, especially in relation to the Wiz. I'd rather have some sort of reference point than go through a ridiculous amount of roms playing guess-and-check.

I use the crap out of MAME on my computer, so I'm definitely looking forward to making a lot of those games portable!
Yea, like I say - dont think it should be expected to run the latest 3D games, but I'd be happy up to and around the Turtles era. Here are some of the games I hammer on MAME;

Track & Field/Hyper Sports
Exciting Hour (Mat Mania)
Wrestlefest
Smash TV
Outrun
Chase HQ
Main Event
King of Boxer
SFII
Football Champ
Mr Do/Dig Dug
Simpsons
Turtles

So not sure of a time there, but I'd say late 80's early 90's.

If anyone with a GP or a Wiz can say what runs well and what doesnt in terms of MAME games. All the info I can find is from 2007 - I imagine the MAME emulators have improved since then?

'RX Shorty' said:
Mame improves almost by the month.
So yes there is progress :)
Thanks RX, but like other info I've found, it doesnt really help! What would you say the most advanced games that the GP2X can handle through MAME please?

I think you could ask that question to Franxis.

He is busy on the Wiz Mame4all emu :)

CODE

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=46378&st=0

Look at some of the GP2X MAME compatibility threads to get an idea of what's possible. I'm going to make a huge assumption (based on what I read of the Wiz MMU hack) that Wiz MAME should be able to run around 50% faster on average (but not twice as fast as you might assume from the relative clock speeds).

I'll go one further, and say that most 16bit hardware in MAME should run at decent speeds on Wiz. So yeah, 80's thru early 90's games mostly.

You really have to look at the hardware each game is running on, you can't necessarily go by year. For example, many arcade boards used the 68000 CPU, and that CPU is emulated at good speeds, so most games based on that should run nicely.

If you're a classic 2D arcade game fan, the Wiz should definitely be pretty nice. Assuming the controls are good and the tearing issue gets addressed... should be sweet.

'Prophet' said:
Look at some of the GP2X MAME compatibility threads to get an idea of what's possible. I'm going to make a huge assumption (based on what I read of the Wiz MMU hack) that Wiz MAME should be able to run around 50% faster on average (but not twice as fast as you might assume from the relative clock speeds).

I'll go one further, and say that most 16bit hardware in MAME should run at decent speeds on Wiz. So yeah, 80's thru early 90's games mostly.

You really have to look at the hardware each game is running on, you can't necessarily go by year. For example, many arcade boards used the 68000 CPU, and that CPU is emulated at good speeds, so most games based on that should run nicely.

If you're a classic 2D arcade game fan, the Wiz should definitely be pretty nice. Assuming the controls are good and the tearing issue gets addressed... should be sweet.
Thanks guys, I'll check it out.

I ended up getting a GP2x in the end, hope it runs the games i like ok :unsure:

pboreham said:

Where did you find a GP2X? I just looked for kicks, and can't find any in stock in North America (of course I don't know where you live).

When I check ebay, I find three F100's (one in Australia, France, and the UK respectively). And one F200 in Spain (but with no 'buy it now' option).

'BackAssward' said:
'pboreham' said:

Where did you find a GP2X? I just looked for kicks, and can't find any in stock in North America (of course I don't know where you live).

When I check ebay, I find three F100's (one in Australia, France, and the UK respectively). And one F200 in Spain (but with no 'buy it now' option).
Ebay (I'm in UK).

Only been looking for a GP2x for around 4 days and there was pretty much one a day going on Ebay.

Found a :gp2x :
http://advancedelectricalresearch.ecrater....php?pid=1203382

But it's more expensive than a :wiz: (Love the new icon!)

For this tip, I'd very much appreciate a tip on something completely unrelated. I need a portable screen that has the standard red, white, and yellow ports for a game system such as an N64. I found a screen on chinavasion, but I'm not sure if it has the ports:
http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.ph...7-inches-black/
Looks like a steal. I could get two with a gift card I have. :)

I have 89 bucks on a gift card left.

pboreham posted on Apr 27 2009 at 08:35 AM) [quote="'Prophet' posted on 'Apr 27 2009 at 12:00 AM) Look at some of the GP2X MAME compatibility threads to get an idea of what's possible. I'm going to make a huge assumption (based on what I read of the Wiz MMU hack said:
that Wiz MAME should be able to run around 50% faster on average (but not twice as fast as you might assume from the relative clock speeds"].

If you're a classic 2D arcade game fan, the Wiz should definitely be pretty nice. Assuming the controls are good and the tearing issue gets addressed... should be sweet.[/quote]Thanks guys, I'll check it out.

The GP2X is good, the screen is much bigger and it has more emulators that run much better right now. Eventually more will be ported to the Wiz but for now the GP2X still wins.

Peter R posted on May 16 2009 at 05:31 AM said:
Do you have a Wiz? If not then you are not really fit to make such a judgment.
He's not fit to say that the GP2X has a bigger screen and more emulators that run better? Why? These aren't facts that anyone can see without owning it?

Peter R posted on May 16 2009 at 09:45 AM said:
How would he know the emulators are better without using them. However, upon reading other posts I am pretty sure he has one anyway which makes my point moot.
You yourself have said the emulators are all alpha quality and not fit for benchmarking... you can't have it both ways you know.

Back