Is the Asus G74SX-3DE the best Gaming Laptop for it's price?

FaeMinx

Rainbow Liberation Instigation
On my wish list is a desktop replacement laptop that can chew through Digital Graphics editing and play StarCraft II on maximum settings with ease.

I would also like to be able to do my graphics work outside in partial sunlight.

So far, the Asus G74SX-3DE seems to be the one for the job especially as it has a matt screen allowing good visibility outdoors. It also looks to be somewhat future proof for a while at least.

I certainly don't have the cash for this at the moment... I only have R7000 saved so far. I'll be looking to take the plunge probably the middle to the end of next year... Hopefully it's price will have dropped a bit by then.

So my question to you is: If you were in the market for a Desktop Replacement, what would you be aiming for and why? Is the Asus a good choice, or do you know of something more capable for a similar price... or even something that is almost as good for much cheaper?

Here is a review of the Asus to get you started:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-G74SX-3DE-Gaming-Notebook.56809.0.html

1) Check the NoteBookReview forums for the best information imho: http://www.notebookreview.com/

2) Be sure to check the boutique laptop makers; theres a lot of brands out there yoiu dont' hear about .. yet offer clearly superior performance at half the price of the big guys.

I'd suggest its like this with laptops.. for cheap low end machines, the big guys have it down.. mass produced, can't be beat. For mid-range its also tough to beat their prices. But for high end, you can often totally beat the big guys.. especially Apple, those Macbook Pro's are brutal expensive, and you can get far fr better machines for half the money... but heavier. Apple stuff is pretty lightweight usually.

Anyway, Asus is not bad, but I find their quality a litytle lacking .. paint rubs off sometimes, stuff lke that, but they do have the goods.

Myself, I'm a huge fan of "Clevo" brands (which get assemvblewd by other brands in the US and all over the world. Clevo makes, ships to others to assemble and sell.) Sager is my preferred brand.. a little heavy and tank-like, but solid, well supported, badass.

(Clevo stuff is liek desktops in notebook form.. you open them up, can swap out video cards and such within a certain limit, that sort. Very good..)

For Clevo, it goes like..

Clevo makes; you coudl buy direct, but better to gte a more lcoal source

Sager is a Texas based assembler, great stuff, pretty goodf support with drivers and repairs and so on

XoticPC is a reseller of Sager who adds a few %age to price, but offers wicked great support and service on top.

I bought a gaming laptop from Sager through Xotic 4 years ago, and its still holding (playing BF3 on it, barely ;)

Check otu XoticPC for some options anyway, and look around. I love Sager :) Hit up the NBR forum and see what peopel say about various brands..

jeff

Thanks Jeff!

I've heard of Sager before...

Looks like I have some more research ahead of me. ;)

I somewhat doubt the boutique laptop makers in my country will have reasonable prices... Electronics in this country are far more expensive than in the first world countries... Why that is I don't know.

Would you be able to recommend a boutique laptop maker that ships overseas?

There was a Clevo assembler in Montreal not too far form me (I'm in Ontario and not Quebec, but drive all day and there Id' be..) -- but their prices were out of control, so I ordered from Xotic and had it shipped up here; from texas to Ontario,m including border fee bullshit was still much cheaper than the local guy :/

There are some Clevo resellers in the UK and around, but I wouldn't know off the top of my head where. Head to NBR and poke around.. for Sager, I know there were shop lists and such; check the Clevo+Sager forum and there shoud lbe a FAQ listing the good and bad resellers (and read it.. there are some bad players you don't want to get in bed with.)

jeff

Hehe, sorry to butt in here, but;

Sager is my preferred brand.. a little heavy and tank-like, but solid, well supported, badass.
You say that like it's a bad thing! :p

Anyway, just wanted to drop in to say thanks for the advice you've given to FaeMinx, there - it's useful to me as well, as my workhorse laptop is currently dying and I'm also after something in a somewhat similar vein. :p (Now all I need to do is see if the Linux support is good!)

Clevo owner checking in. ;) My variant is a Clevo Horize P150HMA from Aussie builder logicalblueone.com.au. I bought it in April for a smidge under $2k. Core i7 2720QM, 2GB Radeon 6970M, 8GB RAM, 1920x1080 matte LCD. The newer model with upgraded GPU (6990M) is holding at the same price: ~$1800AUD + OS + shipping.

Here are the impressions I posted when I first got it:

Clevo Horize P150HMA early impressions. (I'm at work so I can't do much.)
  • Screen is noice. Very crisp with great viewing angles.
  • Keyboard is spacious. It has a nice, almost mechanical feel.
  • These trackpads have a bit of a reputation for being ordinary, and it is justified. It's not a fast or particularly nice surface. If you put a high value on the smooth glass feel, don't buy this. Personally I hate all trackpads, so it's a non issue.
  • I've heard these things are pricks for fan noise, but I haven't heard anything yet. I am under an aircon though, and there is kind of a steelworks out the window.
  • Rubberised finish on lid and palm rest is interesting. Finger print proof, and I suppose it provides some shock resistance.
  • The case construction could be more solid. At the bottom right of the palm rest, it kind of flexes and creaks when you push it hard. I only discovered this by pushing hard though, it's not noticeable in normal use.
  • Visually the design is nice. Size-wise it's a bit of a slab, but it's well hidden in the angles.
  • Power brick is bringing BRICK back.
  • Comes with actual Win7 OEM disc, which is good. Other stuff as you'd expect; driver disc, user manual, easter eggs. Free carry bag is pretty pov, but will see me through until I drop proper coin on a backpack.

A few factoids on gaming performance (from foggy memory):

• Portal 2 with all settings maxed: 60fps
  • BF:BC2 on high settings: 45fps
  • Crysis on high: 30fps
  • BF3 on ultra: Haven't checked fps, but it's butter smooth. Also melted butter hot - I need a cooling pad and probably should wind the settings back.

(all at 1920x1080)

Complaints after doing a few miles on it:

• Keyboard is fatiguing. Pretty good for gaming, but I don't like it for extended typing.
  • Trackpad is still terrible.
  • Not so much a complaint, but you really do start to hear the 747 turbines whine when you wind the GPU up.

What's awesome: Connecting to TV via HDMI and playing Wii games (via Dolphin) in 1080p. :D

What's also awesome: Upgradeable GPU.

Other awesome thing: It was cheaper to get this from a local builder than import from the US. Not often the case with high end laptops in Aus.

I like to apply a car analogy. If you want bells, whistles and comfort like a BMW 7 series, go for an Asus or an Alienware (trivia: Alienwares are Clevo based too.) This laptop is more of a Lotus Elise; less carpet and cupholders, more raw performance.

Guide to all things Clevo: http://forum.noteboo...re-posting.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly don't have the cash for this at the moment... I only have R7000 saved so far. I'll be looking to take the plunge probably the middle to the end of next year... Hopefully it's price will have dropped a bit by then.
I will point out that by the second half of 2012 that specific model should be discontinued, and given availability isn't wonderful now is liable to have what back invenory would exist already exhausted. GPUs will have made the switch from 40nm to their next gen 28nm parts and Intel to their 22nm tri-gate Ivy Bridge line, which both represent a full node shrink.

I suppose that's a good thing considering you want to max out Starcraft II, and at 35fps with Ultra for that and 14.9fps with Crysis Very High at full 1080p it isn't exactly doing that by most standards. On the other hand we are talking something that weighs over 4kg and should retail for around 2,000USDe. I will point out that is a rather heavy setup, and is a lot of money to drop on a particular setup that has marginal to limited advantages over a current a do-it-yourself desktop box costing around 500USDe in parts, and has nothing on a 1,000USDe build. There's also the issue that according to the reviewers it has no battery life of any real consequence and hence needs to be tethered to an electrical outlet, which may not be convenient if you want to work outside.

There's something to be said for paying a lot in one go, but you need to gauge your year cycles and determine if it's be better to buy cheaper hardware more often. In defense of where you're windowing the focus of the talk for the 2013 x86 designs from Intel and AMD is on reducing power consumption, and hence probably don't represent a dramatic boost in raw performance. On the other hand we are supposed to see a full node shrink to 22/20nm for the relevant foundries that aren't Intel, and Intel moving towards a full node shrink to 14nm by the end of 2013. And then another full node shrink by all relevant parties the end of 2015.

I will also point out that matte screen protectors aren't excessively expensive, so if that's all it's effectively doing for anti-glare measures it's not an exactly expensive mod to match it.

I will point out that by the second half of 2012 that specific model should be discontinued, and given availability isn't wonderful now is liable to have what back invenory would exist already exhausted. GPUs will have made the switch from 40nm to their next gen 28nm parts and Intel to their 22nm tri-gate Ivy Bridge line, which both represent a full node shrink.

Well, I won't be able to get it untill I have the physical cash... So if I've missed the boat, I'll have to look for the next best thing - possibly an upgrade.

I suppose that's a good thing considering you want to max out Starcraft II, and at 35fps with Ultra for that and 14.9fps with Crysis Very High at full 1080p it isn't exactly doing that by most standards. On the other hand we are talking something that weighs over 4kg and should retail for around 2,000USDe. I will point out that is a rather heavy setup, and is a lot of money to drop on a particular setup that has marginal to limited advantages over a current a do-it-yourself desktop box costing around 500USDe in parts, and has nothing on a 1,000USDe build. There's also the issue that according to the reviewers it has no battery life of any real consequence and hence needs to be tethered to an electrical outlet, which may not be convenient if you want to work outside.

Well, concidering I only get about 17fps on medium setting on 1280x800 in StarCraft II on my current desktop... 35fps, Ultra in full 1080p Looks pretty damn impressive to me.

The 'marginal' advantage you speak of for me is extremely important... Portability. My life is such that I only stay in one place for a few weeks / couple of months at a time. I need to be able to pick up and go in a short time, and have my most valuable assets with me as hand lugguage where I can keep a firm beady eye on them.

The weight isn't an issue, so long as it can fit in a backpack. My ultra-portable options will be my Pandora + HTC Sensation. I also intend to use the Laptop in combination with my Cintiq 12wx to do digital art at trade festivals. A desktop simply will not suffice. Battery life is also not something I expect to be good - I never really intend to use it when away from a power source... Working outside will be done with the use of extention cables... and possibly in the future I will have a solar solution on the roof of my vehicle connected to a bank of high capacity batteries.

There's something to be said for paying a lot in one go, but you need to gauge your year cycles and determine if it's be better to buy cheaper hardware more often. In defense of where you're windowing the focus of the talk for the 2013 x86 designs from Intel and AMD is on reducing power consumption, and hence probably don't represent a dramatic boost in raw performance. On the other hand we are supposed to see a full node shrink to 22/20nm for the relevant foundries that aren't Intel, and Intel moving towards a full node shrink to 14nm by the end of 2013. And then another full node shrink by all relevant parties the end of 2015.

Well... The reason I want to spend a lot in one go: I will be working on the assumption that times might be very tough in the future... and as i will be making my own opportunities (I pretty much work for myself)... I would like to see my next purchase last me 5-6 years... possibly longer, depending on circumstances. I've pretty much opperated technologically a few years behind everyone else my whole life, so it's not really my desire to stay up to date with the cutting edge - I just want to ensure my window of productive useability is as long as possible. At present, I can't imagine a Laptop of this grunt ever falling short of what I need it to do... though I'm sure future software releases will change my mind. Bottom line, I don't want to buy another Laptop in 2 - 3 years of purchasing this one.

I will also point out that matte screen protectors aren't excessively expensive, so if that's all it's effectively doing for anti-glare measures it's not an exactly expensive mod to match it.

I didn't think about that... I guess then the real requirement would be sufficient brightness / contrast for outdoor use...

Just remember that "desktop" setups doesn't just include full towers, if you transporting those is excessively kludgy.

Right now you can get Intel H67 chipset ITX boards for around 100USD that give you a PCIex16 slot for a GPU (Example 1 & Example 2).  Now to be fair an i7-2620QM is around 600USD by itself, and ITX setups won't incorporate a screen/keyboard/mouse equivalent.  On the other hand an i7-2600K is roughly half that and can be underclocked.

There is more then one way to approach these problems, and there is room to save money at various turns.  Ultimately it is your choice what you want to do, but I think you should have some awareness of your options.

Last edited by a moderator:
^

Okay... So far that's $720 for the motherboard + processor...

I've never built a PC before... What ram is compatible with this? A link to available graphics cards? What else do I need?

And what casing will this all go in?

I'm not against going this route, if the final setup is transportable enough... I would just need help choosing all the right components. I'm sure I'll be able to put it all together with a little online help and reading the documentation.

I assume one of the reasons for going this route would be the ability to upgrade hardware later on?

Back