Is There Anyone Working In A 2-cores Snes Emulator?

Puck2099

Certified Guru
Website
www.gp32wip.com
Hi,

As some GP32Spain's readers know, I've been working for some months in a new SNES emulator (at the moment, using NK's and Chui's code as well as mine, it's about a 15% faster than NK's modified one) which will use the 2 GP2X's cores to increase the performance.

Since now I will not have so much free time as before (I've returned to University again) so I would like to know if someone is working in a similar project to stop working on mine (I think it's a waste of time to be two people working on the same) and use my free time in other thing.

If you are working on it and don't want to make it public, please, send me a private message, I won't tell anyone about it.

Thanks a lot :)

PD: Sorry for my bad English :unsure:

NightShadow posted on Oct 15 2006 at 08:30 PM said:
Just out of curiosity, what where you using the 2nd processor for? Sound processing?

Yes, that is the idea, but maybe could be used for reduce other 1st core works.

Last edited by a moderator:
puck your english is great as is the attempt to use the second core for sound processing.

on topic: i remember squidge mentioned squidge snes special edition (i think he put it like that) with second core being used (for sound i assume)

yeah your English is spot on man. Anywho, just out of curiosity how much of a speed increase are you thinking adding the second core will net you? To me it would seem like enough to run almost all games at full speed once it gets tweaked out. But then again Im not a dev.

2-core snes emulator being worked on??? wooow, too much good news for me!!!
Unfortunately I can't do that, but I hope one day I will join the GP2X developper's team, as i'm a computer science student

Yeah, Snes is soo close to being really cool for the handheld. Squidgesnes has a fullscreen option and I can get most games 30fps with overclocking. If they could just fix the sprite-layering, it would be the #1 Snes emu on GP2X.
Actually, I play most of my SNES games with SNESGP2X w/ no sound as it renders the layers properly. No fullscreen though.

Argh.

bacteria posted on Oct 16 2006 at 12:09 AM said:
Puck2099, if your SNES emulator is going to be as good as your SMS one was, please keep going with the SNES project - can't wait! I especially want to play Tetris Attack at full speed!!
I am also hoping for tetris attack at full speed. The last time I tried it wasn't playable with sound on any of the emulators.

deadlychicken22 posted on Oct 16 2006 at 01:23 AM said:
bacteria posted on Oct 16 2006 at 12:09 AM said:
Puck2099, if your SNES emulator is going to be as good as your SMS one was, please keep going with the SNES project - can't wait! I especially want to play Tetris Attack at full speed!!
I am also hoping for tetris attack at full speed. The last time I tried it wasn't playable with sound on any of the emulators.
You can play it on the Gameboy mono version, plays great, but of course it is only mono colours - the enhanced colours mode is still basic though. The SNES has the best version.

bacteria posted on Oct 15 2006 at 07:09 PM said:

ahh the power of tetris attacks to totally derail an otherwise useful thread ;)

my favorite version of tetris attacks on gamepark is "Pokemon Puzzle Challenge" for GBC ... it's color, of course ... if you can stand the poke-mons!

to stay on topic ... Puck2099, hope you find a co hort :)

rmatheso posted on Oct 15 2006 at 10:05 PM said:
Yeah, Snes is soo close to being really cool for the handheld. Squidgesnes has a fullscreen option and I can get most games 30fps with overclocking. If they could just fix the sprite-layering, it would be the #1 Snes emu on GP2X.
Actually, I play most of my SNES games with SNESGP2X w/ no sound as it renders the layers properly. No fullscreen though.

Argh.

Maybe the new core method can be looked at from how picodrive does it. It may help with sound. No fullscreen in SNESGP2X? well scaling looks like total shit anyway so no loss.

How much of a performance increase can you expect by having the second CPU handle sound ? Are we talking about 3 FPS or like 10?

And also a little off topic , but do you have any plans to release another version of ROTT ?

Well in the PicorDrive thread, someone mentioned having:

All options enabled, accurate timings, etc. one one core @ 200MHz: 3fps
All options enabled, accurate timings, etc. one TWO cores @ 200MHz full speed

well it was something like that anyway, check the PicoDrive thread. It was a significant difference.

First off-- Puck, congrats and best of luck on your project, if your SMS/GG ambitions are anything to be considered, you'll do a fantastic job and produce a nice, snappy emulator.

PokeParadox posted on Oct 16 2006 at 01:16 AM said:
Well in the PicorDrive thread, someone mentioned having:

All options enabled, accurate timings, etc. one one core @ 200MHz: 3fps
All options enabled, accurate timings, etc. one TWO cores @ 200MHz full speed

well it was something like that anyway, check the PicoDrive thread. It was a significant difference.
If there was a difference that big, something was horribly wrong with the program. It is extremely difficult to do anything practical with the 940T coprocessor, and most of the time when you do, you run the risk of slowing down the 920T and negating the purpose of the whole exercise. I'm sure SNES emulation could benefit, albeit NOT that much-- the SNES sound subsystem doesn't involve a whole 4 Mhz Z80 CPU, like the MD does, along with its Yamaha Synth and PSG. The big benefit over existing emulators like SquidgeSNES, though, will be when the graphics handling is done entirely with ARM9 ASM. This is why SquidgeSNES/NK's SNES emulator are so sluggish. The SNES had a very slow, bottlenecked CPU, but its graphics subsystem was powerful and complex. Existing code for Squidge's SNES emulator, and I believe NK's, uses old C code for all graphics handling, which is very slow compared. Squidge has said and I fully agree, it is a very big job and it will take time and dedication, so I hope that you will be able to find someone to lend you a hand, Puck!

If someone can make a snes emu that has the same sound quality of picodrive (which has bloody fantastic sound, very loud and very clear) then i will be very happy.

I keep checking the news everyday hoping someone will release a snes emu equivalent of Pico, thats not to say the current ones are bad, just a little rough round the edges at times.

Good luck to whoever is going to do this. Early christmas present maybe? :)

Back