It's software this time!

Should davesha skip the queue so he can work directly on the Pyra?

• Yes

Votes: 174 99.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This is a good thing, as the Shoulderbutton on my Pandora whit the broken Switch Behind (my Incident whit the Toolbox and the open Pandora case where i wanted to swap the bottom part because some cracks, and endet up whit some bend parts inside, ), everything expect of this Shoulderbutton works..) Is now inside the Case..

Should Wrath of Khan get to skip the queue just because?
Vote now...
May need something for motivation.

maxresdefault.jpg

October is more than 2 Months (tm) away, so unlikly ^^

On the other hand: 2 Months (tm) can be everything from 5 Yeahrs till 5 Minutes..

"Isnt time relativ ? So 2 Months (tm) are too "

Reactions: rSl
Would you consider selling micro USB3 OTG cables? They seem particularly hard to find and would be needed to get max speed out of the Pyra.
In addition, I wonder how many SATA adapters will be needed. These adapters will allow to connect one SATA device and one USB2 device (or provide power) to the blue USB host port socket (not the OTG-USB3).
Note that this is not a general SATA adapter for any USB port. It only works on the OMAP5 Pyra because we have wired the SATA connections to the USB3 high speed pins. A real USB3 port is not SATA compatible and an upgrade CPU board for the Pyra may provide USB3 and no SATA.

The adapter looks like this:

DSC01130.jpg
DSC01131.jpg
DSC01132.jpg

ED hasn't decided yet to offer it in his store. And before I can start some small series production we need an estimate how many units we should make.

BTW: the Pandora replacement LCD cables haven't been tested yet (at least I am not aware of a result). And in addition there is a Pandora Console-to-USB adapter (FTDI) prototype which works fine for at least three people. Could be easily produced if there is enough interest.

DSC01093.jpg

Except for the LCD cables I could even produceall things presented here in lot-size 1 (build to order), but that would make them a little more expensive and take some days to fulfill orders.

As i want my Pyra to be a "Hosentaschen und Heimcomputer" Pocket and Home PC, i think an SATA Adapter would be cool,
I have a Mobile USB Drive whit a Y Cable 2 x USB2, but if this SATA Thing is much faster, i think this could be quite Usefull ..
Then i would just need a good SATA Drive..

In addition, I wonder how many SATA adapters will be needed. These adapters will allow to connect one SATA device and one USB2 device (or provide power) to the blue USB host port socket (not the OTG-USB3).

I think I'm interesed, but I guess it cannot offer a sata power connector so that he Pyra can power a SATA HDD, can it ? I mean one needs the pyra, the SATA HDD, this adapter, the SATA data cable, and a SATA power source and power cable ?

I think I'm interesed, but I guess it cannot offer a sata power connector so that he Pyra can power a SATA HDD, can it ? I mean one needs the pyra, the SATA HDD, this adapter, the SATA data cable, and a SATA power source and power cable ?
You could likely steal power from the other USB port with a fairly standard to get cable, but I would only recommend that on a lower powered SSD devices. Bigger drives likely would need an external power supply anyway.

ED hasn't decided yet to offer it in his store. And before I can start some small series production we need an estimate how many units we should make.
I'd be interested. I suppose the power supply is 5V only ?

I'd be interested. I suppose the power supply is 5V only ?
Yes, USB provides 5V output. Hard disks with SATA usually need 12V. For testing I have used an external HD-Dock (I think from Logitech) where I can simply insert a hard drive into the slot. But that device has its own power supply. So SATA is more for a "dock" situation and less on the road. But speed is great. 1.5 or 3 Gbit/s.

Yeah, in my experiences all 3.5in drives I've tried in my caddy need the 12V external PSU turned on. But 2.5in and smaller drives aren't even supposed to be connected to 12V (the 2.5in connector only supplies 5V), while smaller and slimmer drives are connected to 5V and 3.3V but not 12V.

To answer the question posited, I might be interested in buying one of these adaptors, but only for completions sake really. I don't think I have a need for it. My existing caddy both provides 12V via an external PSU and connects the data lines to USB3.0 so I don't need this for that. But if I didn't have that already, I might be convinced to buy an off the shelf PC PSU which'll be full of full size power connectors, and these days can even be painted an attractive shade of black, in which case this adaptor might be of use to me.

Last edited:
In theory, I suppose the SATA port could be used for a 'proper' CD/DVD drive too, and a laptop one would probably only need 5V/3.3V so might be able to be Pyra-powered. But I don't know if there are any cases where this would be advantageous over a USB one.

In theory, I suppose the SATA port could be used for a 'proper' CD/DVD drive too, and a laptop one would probably only need 5V/3.3V so might be able to be Pyra-powered. But I don't know if there are any cases where this would be advantageous over a USB one.
Maybe a better path for a Bluray drive as the USB ports are 1.1/2.0 only outside the funky USB 3.0 OTG port. A regular CD/DVD drive would be fine on just regular USB 2.0.

Back