It's the details that take longest (Part 1)

It would be a negligible amount of weight though. And I like the replaceable tip idea.

While a replaceable tip might sound good (and would be nice) in practice this would mean you would have to have a replacement tip.

So either the Pyra ships with few new tips or you should buy them.

If you're gonna buy new tips, why not buy the new stylus instead, they are probably not that more expensive than a replacement tip.

The Xstylus might safe some space in the case, as it appears a bit shorter than the solid stylus.

But if it might break more easily, I would think people would like to have a trustworthy stylus instead.

Any news about the screen cable? (you did post something on twitter about this)

I've never tried an X-Stylus, but I'm fine with the regular one (when I'm not just using my fingernail) and care more about cost and durability.

I'd prefer a metal solid stylus with plastic ends. Just like my 1998 palm pilot had. Most comfortable. Stylus ever. Always panicked. When I lost it

It would be a negligible amount of weight though. And I like the replaceable tip idea.
 While a replaceable tip might sound good (and would be nice) in practice this would mean you would have to have a replacement tip.

So either the Pyra ships with few new tips or you should buy them.

If you're gonna buy new tips, why not buy the new stylus instead, they are probably not that more expensive than a replacement tip.

The Xstylus might safe some space in the case, as it appears a bit shorter than the solid stylus.

But if it might break more easily, I would think people would like to have a trustworthy stylus instead.

Any news about the screen cable? (you did post something on twitter about this)
It could take a year or two for even a very active stylus user to wear down a replaceable tip. However, by having it be replaceable that opens the door for tips of varying materials to give different feel to the stylus.

Solid metal stylus replacements were all the rage back in the days of Palm Pilots and the like. I have one of these for my Tapwave Zodiac. I'd sooner give up the Zodiac than the stylus.

http://www.retrotrader.com/product_info.php?products_id=2198

It gave a very high quality feel. The point on the back end was just pointed enough to reach the reset button on the Zodiac. On a Pyra this could be a hex driver to fit the screws - or just a case-shaped end just like the plastic stylus would have.

Solid metal doesn't have to be terribly expensive and can fit into the same slot as a plastic stylus.

Replaceable tips does not mean having to carry a spare - at least no more so than having to carry a spare plastic stylus.

It comes down to a quality thing. Solid metal = feel = quality.

I'm betting that in the end the Pyra will have a plastic stylus just like the Pandora or an X-stylus. However, if someone gets the inclination to make them, I'd pay $25 or more for a solid stainless steel with plastic tips stylus that clips securely into the case.

At least an X-Stylus would be alot more expencive than a replacement tip for sure. So a X-Stylus design with replacable tips is actualy a good combination, maybe beter than a "cheap" stylus with replacable tip. :)

Things seem to slow down (with less blog posts I do), and that's true in a way, but untrue in another.

Yes, progress has slowed down - which is normal for a product. The first 90% of development are fastest, from then on, it's only the details that remain... and those take longest.

We're now in that stage.

But while visible progress slows down, the actual background work is more than before, and hasn't slowed down a bit.

It's quite a lot of things to tell you about, and surely a lot to discuss about as well.

So I'll do one post per day now for the next few days with small snippets :)

Let's start with...

1. The Case

The case company is currently tweaking all the issues I found (stylus didn't hold, speaker area needs to be finished, shoulder buttons need improvement (and an alternate design should be created for testing), battery compartment needs to be changed to fit the new battery, some areas need to be modified so that the LCD cable can fit, etc.)

I've created quite a list (including pictures and explanations what they need to be aware of when designing those areas)... and whew, that really took quite a while.

You need to think ahead of all issues that could occur and explain upfront what needs to be done to prevent that.

I can't wait to receive the next case update - it should be pretty close now to the final version!

2. The Keymat

The keymat sample we got was working fine (and felt fine), but the material was not diffuse enough so you could see the LEDs clearly below.

I'm getting more keymat samples with more diffuse material soon.

No layout discussion from my side until everything is mechanically ready :)

3. The Stylus

I've got an offer from Elton to create Pandora / Pyra-versions of the XStylus - but I'm not sure yet whether we should use it or not.

I personally am fine with the stylus we got for the Pandora and have used the XStylus for the Nintendo DS, but it's not more comfortable for me, only a bit flakier.

The Pyra XStylus would use a new nylon material which doesn't break as easy, so it should be better than the NDS XStylus.

What do you think? Would you prefer an XStylus as default stylus or a solid one like in the Pandora?

That's it for today.

More stuff will follow tomorrow :)
So, with this pace, will Pyra be ready in time for Christmas 2014?  ;)

If Xstylus, and production is pyra-specific. Could the part that isnt nylon be made out of metal and include a hex nut for the screws? (or torx which i imagine is a bit trickier to do) Hoping that doesnt ruin wireless.

4.jpg
0722301549711_001.jpg

That one looks nice and sturdy. Costs 25-30 dollar, but a non-capacitive one i imagine is cheaper.

The one below just looks flimsy.

xs-620x.jpg
Totally agree,

it would be nice if it was possible for pyra to have a more unique stylus on its own, biggest possible.

The bit with the metal inner isn't necessarily sturdier, as all of my original x-styluses that have broken have broken in the other, plastic bit. Making it out of stretchy nylon might make it a lot more robust, but simply swapping out the inner for metal might make it more balanced, or make it feel more sturdy, but it won't make it more sturdy on its own.

My suggestion would be to keep it simple and manipulate Nintendo's stylus slot therefore giving us many options (given that there's many DS Stylus brands including the default Nintendo one which nobody seems to have a problem with). There'd be minimal supply issues, less waiting time for a new one if you lose it, less R&D on ED's behalf. He could just simply order a colour of stylus from a supplier and be done with it as we'd know they'd fit.

In regards to Kingu's design I am going to say No as it would cost ED a bit of money to research, would be a safety hazard (the caps can get dislodged and end up small child throats and the edge of the stylus could be sharp and pierce your hand if it were to suddenly become dislodged. I doubt this design would be welcome on aircrafts either. Carry a screwdriver in your luggage instead.

Just my .02 cents

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd prefer a more traditional stylus, but as long as the quality and durability are good, I'm fine with whatever. The only stylus I regularly use is the one that came with my 3DS and I'm fine with how it works and feels.

My suggestion would be to keep it simple and manipulate Nintendo's stylus slot therefore giving us many options (given that there's many DS Stylus brands including the default Nintendo one which nobody seems to have a problem with). There'd be minimal supply issues, less waiting time for a new one if you lose it, less R&D on ED's behalf. He could just simply order a colour of stylus from a supplier and be done with it as we'd know they'd fit.

In regards to Kingu's design I am going to say No as it would cost ED a bit of money to research, would be a safety hazard (the caps can get dislodged and end up small child throats and the edge of the stylus could be sharp and pierce your hand if it were to suddenly become dislodged. I doubt this design would be welcome on aircrafts either. Carry a screwdriver in your luggage instead.

Just my .02 cents
Totally agree here.

should just go with the ds stylus.  they are a buck a dozen.
Just molding it from the same plastic as the casing material will still be cheaper.

The idea of having a different stylus is pretty neat. I looked at a couple pictures of the XStylus and I think I would be happy with the standard Pandora Stylus; but, I hardly use the stylus so whatever does happen would be fine with me. I would much rather prefer to stick to the options that pleases the people who actually use the stylus :) So I leave it up to them. Either way I, personally, would be happy. Sorry I am not much help on this one.

For the reasons Wally and slimeycat have mentioned, the DS ones being easy to replace with third party ones... And others having preference for larger stylus...

How about considering Wii U stylus when making for Pyra.

For the same reason, if lose it could replace with cheap 3rd party Wii U one. I'm guessing those are fairly cheap and commonplace like the DS ones?

But they are that little bit longer

Back