It's the details that take longest (Part 3)

When the Pandora nubs are working correctly they go the same speed in any direction, diagonal or otherwise. I think the odd situation that happens is when the auto nub calibration goes wrong and things get wonky.. luckily this won't be an issue in future nubs.
Are you sure Pyra won't be "wonky"? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
When the Pandora nubs are working correctly they go the same speed in any direction, diagonal or otherwise. I think the odd situation that happens is when the auto nub calibration goes wrong and things get wonky.. luckily this won't be an issue in future nubs.
Are you sure Pyra won't be "wonky"? ;)
Yeah the very nature of the autocalibration built into the NUB firmware is unique to the Pandora specific Nubs. Remember the Pandora Nubs are custom made.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pandora nubs run their own calibration code which varies how they respond over time, so we can't do any post-processing to make than any better,  Pyra nubs should just report magnetic field strengths or whatever directly, so if any calibration needs to be done that can be done in software, and that software will be maintained by the OS team (and hopefully will be open source too), so we should never be stuck with wonky nubs like many of us are on Pandora.

I think details are the key of a quality product, it's better to take as much time as needed and not rush a production of Pyra. In the end, it all is going to be worth it. If everything goes well, (fingers crossed), this device is going to be a top handheld.

P.S. Pandora is a great device, even 'till this day and it's worth getting it, but I think, it depends on what does the customer want.

Yes, they go the same speed when used to control the mouse or with anything that was programmed with nubs in mind. However, when you use them as joysticks for games that were programmed for use with analog joysticks with a square movement area, then you will find diagonal response is slow. You can't really blame the emulator programmers for this since the emulators were programmed to work with computer joysticks with the same square movement area. Nubs/sticks with a round movement area are a relatively new development. It doesn't really matter which kind of movement area you have; both will work with proper programming; but when you switch back and forth, you can end up with problems.

Back