I''ve Just Got A Wiz

'Orkie' said:
The Pollux has it, I don't think GPH has set it up. Will not be hard to do sometime, you just put a value in a register to tell it which GPIO to wake up on and then send the sleep command and everything it can get away with shutting down does so.
Can this function be implemented in the same way as on the psp? Where you can suspend the device directly in a game?

Regards

André

Last edited by a moderator:
'Orkie' said:
Should be able to.
Nice! :D

Anyone tested out how well the wiz is as a mp3/video player? I want to replace my crappy Crative Zen Vision M device with the Wiz.

Regards

André

Just tried the MP3 player, looks pretty nice, even got a visual movement but doesn't react on the beat ;)
Will try video soon!

'Orkie' said:
The Pollux has it, I don't think GPH has set it up. Will not be hard to do sometime, you just put a value in a register to tell it which GPIO to wake up on and then send the sleep command and everything it can get away with shutting down does so.
It's much more complicated for OMAP3, I wonder if it's really that easy for Pollux.

'RX Shorty' said:
Just tried the MP3 player, looks pretty nice, even got a visual movement but doesn't react on the beat ;)
Will try video soon!
How is the sound quality through the speakers and through headphones?

Regards

André

Peter R said:
'fyuno83' said:
i hope these silly accusations end with
a simply apology from peter_r :(
I have a newer Wiz and have stated the facts. I have nothing to apologise for. What it sounds like is that GPH have sent Craig an old version or something.
But ED says it has no pivot too, so is he also lying? Actually, now that I look at it, you said that it's "even better than the last pivoted one", are you also saying it's not pivoted now? Then how is craigix lying? By saying it's unusable? Sorry, but that's an opinion, not a fact.

I'd really like a clearer answer on this. I want to know if the production unit has a pivot or not, not your opinion of it. I don't think that a dpad can be great w/o pivoting - they're pivoted for a good reason!

Incidentally, on my Logitech rumblepad, you can cleanly push the hat/pad all the way down on the middle (might even count as a click button, it's pretty clicky) but it still pivots around the middle (press on one side, the other side comes up). My prototype Wiz is not like this, but it can be both.

'Peter R' said:
'fyuno83' said:
I have a newer Wiz and have stated the facts. I have nothing to apologise for. What it sounds like is that GPH have sent Craig an old version or something.

You accused him of outright lying to make Wiz look bad. That was pretty stupid, considering several people seem to have Wiz's with slightly different defects and behaviors.

But regardless...

The real matter here is trying to determine what the final production Wiz is actually like. Does it have a pivot for the dpad or not? Is the dpad any good, with somewhat reliable diagonals? Does the battery hold its charge or not? Does it really have screws on the battery door (ugh)? Does the new sofware method really mostly solve the landscape tearing issue?

So far we don't have definitive answers.

'Prophet' said:
'Peter R' said:
'fyuno83' said:

You accused him of outright lying to make Wiz look bad. That was pretty stupid, considering several people seem to have Wiz's with slightly different defects and behaviors.

But regardless...

The real matter here is trying to determine what the final production Wiz is actually like. Does it have a pivot for the dpad or not? Is the dpad any good, with somewhat reliable diagonals? Does the battery hold its charge or not? Does it really have screws on the battery door (ugh)? Does the new sofware method really mostly solve the landscape tearing issue?

So far we don't have definitive answers.

I think we just have to wait until the Wiz is shipped out and a few reviews have been created. Once we have a few people who can post what is going on with their own Wiz, we can get definitive answers on all these issues.

For the problem of battery, you turn off the USB Host and you activate it only when you go to use it.

Sorry for my bad english.

Greetings.

'Nintiendo1Spain' said:
For the problem of battery, you turn off the USB Host and you activate it only when you go to use it.

Sorry for my bad english.

Greetings.
Excellent support! So all we have to do is disable USB host when were done syncing or something?

By the way, you say greetings first, and goodbye last. :D

'chickendung' said:
Excellent support! So all we have to do is disable USB host when were done syncing or something?

By the way, you say greetings first, and goodbye last. :D
You have to disable/enable in the settings of the Wiz.

Goodbye.

'notaz' said:
It's much more complicated for OMAP3, I wonder if it's really that easy for Pollux.
From what I read in the databook, yes, it really is that easy. There may be more to it in practice, I've not actually tried doing it yet.

Mine has been off for a few days, full power when first turned off. Powers on now, but the battery is mostly drained (meter says about 20%). I've had it disconnected from the BoB - I've noticed that if I leave it on the BoB it'll drain.

'fettouhi' said:
How is the sound quality through the speakers and through headphones?

Regards

André
The sound is good through the headphones, no by sounds or so.
The speakers produce a high volume but more the hightones, not much of a low tone.

About the movie playback, I am trying to watch normal 700 MB divx file.
That aint going at full speed.
But it has a much higher res as the Wiz.
Need to convert it to Wiz resolution and will check it out later.

--Update--
Work perfect when the movie is resized!

'Exophase' said:
But ED says it has no pivot too, so is he also lying? Actually, now that I look at it, you said that it's "even better than the last pivoted one", are you also saying it's not pivoted now? Then how is craigix lying? By saying it's unusable? Sorry, but that's an opinion, not a fact.

I'd really like a clearer answer on this. I want to know if the production unit has a pivot or not, not your opinion of it. I don't think that a dpad can be great w/o pivoting - they're pivoted for a good reason!

Incidentally, on my Logitech rumblepad, you can cleanly push the hat/pad all the way down on the middle (might even count as a click button, it's pretty clicky) but it still pivots around the middle (press on one side, the other side comes up). My prototype Wiz is not like this, but it can be both.
My one is actually slightly pre-production apparently. Secondly, there is a pivot, but yes you can still press the pad down. If Craig had one of the pivot-less ones as well he would clearly feel the difference. When you press it down in the middle you can feel that there is "something there" if you get what I mean.

Peter R said:
My one is actually slightly pre-production apparently. Secondly, there is a pivot, but yes you can still press the pad down. If Craig had one of the pivot-less ones as well he would clearly feel the difference. When you press it down in the middle you can feel that there is "something there" if you get what I mean.

Unless you have a final production one then it's not necessarily the same thing.

Back