Release Java

WizardStan, in a next release, is it possible to replace the sudo by gksu/gksu plz ?

I can't use this pnd under Slackware, and i'd like to ship it in my next release (with your permission).

Last edited by a moderator:
Must be really old. I don't think I've used sudo since before I called it beta.

edit: and yeah, feel free to include it if you want. Isn't slackware an SD installed OS though? You could probably do a proper install of Java.

Must be really old. I don't think I've used sudo since before I called it beta.

edit: and yeah, feel free to include it if you want. Isn't slackware an SD installed OS though? You could probably do a proper install of Java.
Not with the oracle java.

I did a grep of all the scripts and everything uses gksudo.
Ok, thanks for that.

I don't get it, but i can find a workaround.

Tried this from a terminal?

java -jar yourprogram.jar

I've tried that, but that doesn't work either. It says something about the files missing a java or jar class tag (or something like that)

Tried this from a terminal?

java -jar yourprogram.jar

I've tried that, but that doesn't work either. It says something about the files missing a java or jar class tag (or something like that)

Something is broken in your Java install.. I manually installed Oracle's Java myself before a new PND was made, so not sure what the install script is doing or not doing for you.

Could also be a problem with the jar file. Can it be run this way on a normal desktop?

JavaAppError112012.txtHere are the text files I copied from the terminal

Are there any specific directories I need to place my JAR files in? What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• java112012.txt
    6 KB · Views: 265
  • JavaAppError112012.txt
    379 bytes · Views: 131
I just found that invoking gksudo doesn't work on Slackware. Only gksu works.

I don't know why, because gksudo is a link to gksu. Probably a security reason.

Are there any specific directories I need to place my JAR files in? What am I doing wrong?
Jar files can go anywhere, but you need to change to the directory. For example, if you put them on an SD card labelled "games" in a directory called "java" then

Code:
cd /media/games/java

java -jar flands.jar

Fancy. I wish I could figure out how to get it to download automatically. :(

*ponders*  I wonder if its worth emailing Oracle explaining the situation and asking if they have an API that will allow your installer to display the licence agreement and trigger the download of the latest version if the user indicates agreement.

- Neelix 

I don't even know where to begin with such a request. I'll do some digging tomorrow.

So if I just rename the new java file to the older name of the "7u6" revision, the java PND still should be able to install it like before?

So if I just rename the new java file to the older name of the "7u6" revision, the java PND still should be able to install it like before?
Neelix just mentioned the download page changed from where his PND told people to go to download it, I believe he said the new download worked fine with the PND.

Back