Release Java

So if I just rename the new java file to the older name of the "7u6" revision, the java PND still should be able to install it like before?
Neelix just mentioned the download page changed from where his PND told people to go to download it, I believe he said the new download worked fine with the PND.

Exactly,  no renaming needed,  just point the installer at the new file and it will work as is.

- Neelix

EDIT:  Erm  not my PND, WizardStan's PND :)

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry yes, Wizardstan's PND.. Bad sentence structure.

Hi guys, im trying to run some java files but cant get them to work, First I tried to run the file from the menu but nothing happened so I tried to run from the terminal and this is what I got:

jeff-openpandora:/media/mmcblk0p1/1500+ mobile phone java games/a-h$ java -jar an.jar
Found java.pnd at /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/java.pnd
Attempting to execute jvm at /mnt/utmp/java/jdk/bin/java
Args are: -jar an.jar
no main manifest attribute, in an.jar
auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/java': Device or resource busy
jeff-openpandora:/media/mmcblk0p1/1500+ mobile phone java games/a-h$ java -jar

Can anyone tell me what might be wrong?

Well Below always shows when using the Java PND.. nothing new and it doesn't affect anything.

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/java': Device or resource busyThis is more interesting..

no main manifest attribute, in an.jarIt's likely that jar file was packaged wrong or it wasn't intended to be run on the desktop version of Java.

im just using some moble phone jar's that I would have used on my Wiz with the PhoneMe app. Are there other types of java files ?

Three possibilities come to mind...

• The package is broken - have you confirmed that it works on the phone?
  • The mobile phone version of java follows a different spec for the .jar format.
  • The mobile phone version of java is less strict about .jar files that are out of spec.
- Neelix

Those need JavaME(J2ME) to run properly.. PhoneME is open-source implementation of JavaME and has an SDL implementation of it..  I guess it's possible to port it to the pandora.. I would give porting it a try, but I have a busy weekend.

Source code (SVN) if anyone is interested: http://java.net/projects/phoneme/sources/svn/show

Those need http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Platform,_Micro_Edition'>JavaME(J2ME) to run properly.. PhoneME is open-source implementation of JavaME and has an SDL implementation of it..  I guess it's possible to port it to the pandora.. I would give porting it a try, but I have a busy weekend.
Source code (SVN) if anyone is interested: http://java.net/projects/phoneme/sources/svn/show'>http://java.net/projects/phoneme/sources/svn/show
that would be great! there are alot of cool games and apps available for mobile phones and if the Wiz ran them good I bet the Pandora would be really good..

Perhaps for now you can use Ginge which is in the repo it allows you to run GP2X and Wiz games on the Pandora  and it just might let you use the Wiz version of OpenME and your mobile java games.. Not sure how well it will work,but it's something to try.

Did I open my mouth and promised things again... damn I got to stop doing that.

Between working full time and taking classes on the side I've been booked. I can give it a quick go.

The current download file (jdk-7u10-linux-arm-sfp) linked by Neelix is a tar file. The Java install script pukes if it is run against it. I had to repackage it as a .tgz file to get the install to work.

The Java Install script reports a successful install, but I cannot run a jar file from the Run Jar File menu entry.

opening a terminal session and typing java reults in:

mark-openpandora:~$ java

Found java.pnd at /media/DATA/pandora/menu/java.pnd

Attempting to execute jvm at /mnt/utmp/java/jdk/bin/java

Args are: 

/mnt/utmp/java/sunjava.sh: line 12: /mnt/utmp/java/jdk/bin/java: No such file or directory

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/java': Device or resource busy

mark-openpandora:~$ 

Whizzing across to /mnt/utmp in a terminal session, I do not see a java entry under utmp ......

The plot thickens!!! HELP!

I downloaded the 7u15 package and directed the installer to it. No problems at all.

I can run any java app.

I went back to the Oracle page, and tried to download the file again. This time, I noticed that the file is being converted to a tar archive by my Mac during the download. It starts of as a tar.gz - and ends up as a tar archive. Well that's one 'mystery' solved. I think I'll have to return to the remaining issue with a less tired head tomorrow....its clearly something I am doing!

Did an uninstall, and then tried again with the tar.gz downloaded directly from Orcale. JRE now operating smoothly  :rolleyes: Perhaps the first attempt left some rubbish lying around that confused things.

Back