Just a quick heads up

While we're waiting for the next update, let me announce that Michael and the Case of the Dragon Scratches is getting published, and I'm now working on my second book, a teen drug use prevention guide named Mr. Audio Gets his Fix.
Dangit, we need news before I make any more terrible puns :mad:

...This is not blackmail.
Yet.

Dangit, we need news before I make any more terrible puns :mad:

Just 10 days ago ED said:

We should receive the new cases within the next few days so we can continue with the assembly.
[...]
They already found a different solution and will deliver free replacements within the next 10 days.
[...]
All pictures have already been made and masked, so I now need to stitch the artbook together and get it printed (printing takes 4 - 5 days).

So I would give him at least some more days or a week more margin. He may want to wait for the next update until he can report
he's shipping Pyras

I would suggest to make first a news post bevor shipping actual Pyrae, because some may not know how exactly this PreeOrder Fullfilment thing works:
I can imagine that whe get a Email whit a Link to the Shop, where whe have to put the Pyra in our Shopping Cart, and other stuff whe also wants to buy (Pyra Supplys, Mugs (most important), maybe a EverDrive GBA X5 Mini (which is saddly out of stock at the Moment ).., then checkout whit our Preeorder Code and then whe have to pay the rest of the Price..

Im still have my old Slogan "Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst, so you cant get disappointet"
Works great for the Pyra

OK, while no new news from Ingolstadt, here are some from Brussels/Strasbourg:

New European Parliament Motion on the repairability, upgradability, etc. of products in the internal market. This is only the (toothless without legislative initiative) European Parliament asking the European Comission pretty please to change legislation in order to require vendors to state foreseable lifespan and repairability of the devices they sell. If this ever would come to law, then it would be some pressure for the other devices to be a little more like the Pyra. And maybe ED would get some obligation to standarise labelling or something.

economic operators should be encouraged to consider the durability of products and services from the design stage and when placed or provided on the internal market, so as to ensure a safe, sustainable, cost-efficient and attractive choice for consumers; calls on the Commission to propose measures, differentiating between categories of products and for sectors with a significant environmental impact, that will improve products’ durability, including their estimated lifespan, reusability, upgradability, reparability and recyclability

strategy should include measures to: (a) specify the pre-contractual information to be provided on the estimated lifespan (to be expressed in years and/or use cycles and to be determined before the placement on the market of the product through an objective and standardised methodology based on real-use conditions, differences in terms of intensity of use and natural factors, among other metrics) and reparability of a product, keeping in mind that this information should be provided in a clear and comprehensible manner so as to avoid confusing consumers and overloading them with information, and make this one of the main characteristics of a product pursuant to Directives 2011/83/EU and 2005/29/EC

strategy should include measures to: (a) specify the pre-contractual information to be provided on the estimated lifespan [...] and reparability of a product

(b) develop and introduce mandatory labelling, to provide clear, immediately visible and easy-to-understand information to consumers on the estimated lifetime and reparability of a product at the time of purchase;[...] should notably include information on durability and reparability, such as a repair score, and could take the form of an environmental performance index, taking into account multiple criteria throughout the life cycle of products according to product category;

(e) [...] assess how to bring the duration of legal guarantees more into line with the estimated lifetime of a product category, as well as how an extension of the reversed burden of proof
period for non-conformity would enhance the possibility for consumers and businesses to make sustainable choices;

(g) tackle the premature obsolescence of products by considering adding to the list set out in Annex I to Directive 2005/29/EC practices which effectively shorten the lifetime of a product to increase its replacement rate and unduly constrain the reparability of products, including software; [...]

Stresses that goods with digital elements require particular attention and that the following elements should be taken into account within the review of Directive (EU) 2019/771 to be carried out by 2024:

(a) corrective updates – i.e. security and conformity updates – must continue throughout the estimated lifespan of the device, according to product category;

(b) corrective updates should be kept separate from evolutive updates, which must be reversible, and no update must ever diminish the performance or responsiveness of the goods;

(c) consumers must be informed by the seller at the moment of purchase of the period during which updates to the software supplied on purchase of the goods can be expected to be provided, in a way that is compatible with innovation and possible future market developments, as well as of their specificities and impacts on device performance, to ensure that the goods maintain their conformity and security;

This sounds good but it depends on how it is enacted, what when part/all of the maintenance is by a comunnity outside the vendor ? Should publication as free software be considered good enough service in allowing customers to help themselves ?

highlights that SMEs, micro-enterprises and the self-employed require specific support, including financial support, in order to understand and meet their legal obligations in the field of consumer protection

Notes that many products placed on the single market, especially products sold by online marketplaces and imported from outside the EU, fail to comply with EU legislation relating to product safety and sustainability requirements; calls on the Commission and the Member States to urgently take action to ensure a level playing field for EU companies with international competitors, as well as to ensure safe and sustainable products for consumers through improved market surveillance and equivalent customs control standards throughout the EU for both traditional and online businesses; points out that in order to carry out this task, market surveillance authorities must be provided with appropriate financial, technical, information and human resources

Calls for the following information on the availability of spare parts, software updates and the reparability of a product to be made available in a clear and easily legible manner at the time of purchase: estimated period of availability from date of purchase, average price of spare parts at the time of purchase, recommended approximate delivery and repair times, and information on repair and maintenance services, where relevant; asks, furthermore, for this information to be provided in the product documentation together with a summary of the most frequently encountered failures and how to repair them

Calls on the Commission to establish a consumers’ ‘right to repair’ with a view to making repairs systematic, cost efficient and attractive,[...]

(a) by giving actors of the repair industry, including independent repairers, and consumers access free of charge to the necessary repair and maintenance information, including information on diagnostic tools, spare parts, software and updates, needed to perform repairs and maintenance, while keeping in mind the imperatives of consumer safety, without prejudice to Directive (EU) 2016/943;

(b) by encouraging standardisation of spare parts for the sake of interoperability and innovation, while upholding product safety requirements;

(c) by setting a mandatory minimum period for the provision of spare parts reflecting the product’s estimated lifespan after the final unit has been placed on the market, as well as reasonable maximum delivery times [...]

(d) by ensuring that the price of a spare part is reasonable, and therefore cost efficient, in relation to the price of the whole product and that independent and authorised repairers, as well as consumers, have access to the necessary spare parts without unfair hindrances;

(e) by encouraging repair over replacement by extending guarantees or zeroing guarantee periods for consumers who choose this option[...], and by ensuring that sellers always inform consumers of the option of repair and related guarantee rights;

(f) by assessing how repairs could be facilitated by establishing, at EU level, a legal guarantee for the parts replaced by a professional repairer when goods are no longer under legal or commercial guarantee [...]

(g) by encouraging Member States to create incentives, such as a ‘craftsman’s bonus’, which promote repairs, particularly after the end of the legal guarantee for consumers undertaking certain repair works via authorised/independent repairers;

Welcomes the Commission’s consideration of binding measures to prevent the destruction of unsold or non-perished goods in working order so that they can instead be reused [...] stresses the need for a strategy assessing and addressing the legal obstacles to repair, resale, reuse and donation to ensure a more effective and sustainable use of resources, as well as for strengthening the internal market for secondary raw material,

Points out the existence of practices adopted by companies to discourage repair, which constitute a restriction to the right of repair and affect consumers’ repair options; calls for an approach that both safeguards the enforcement of intellectual property rights and ensures effective support for independent repairers in order to promote consumer choice and achieve an overall sustainable single market;

calls on the Commission, in this regard, to examine to what extent the first-time buyer’s guarantee could be transferred to additional buyers in the event of subsequent sales, especially in the context of a digital product passport;

emphasises that the development of internet-based services, new forms of marketing (rentals, leasing, product-as-service, etc.) and the availability of repair facilities can help to extend product lifetime and increase consumer awareness and trust in such products;
I don't like that. People should own their tools (as few and generic as possible) and don't keep depending on companies for everything, and constantly leaking data. But I also understand renting a car occasionally is better than everyone having their own.

Welcomes the announcement of a common European data space for smart circular applications and the ambition of the Commission to develop a digital ‘product passport’ to improve traceability and access to information on the conditions of production of a product, durability, composition, reuse, repair, dismantling possibilities and end-of-life handling, taking into account the proportionality principle and costs for businesses and paying special attention to the needs of SMEs, micro-enterprises and the self-employed; calls for these tools to be developed in close cooperation with the industry and relevant stakeholders;

Adds that awareness should be raised of the potential environmental footprint of unnecessary data, such as unused apps, files, videos, photos and spam emails; calls on the Commission to assess the impact of digital practices and infrastructure in terms of their carbon and environmental footprint, as well as their impact on consumer practices, and to consider appropriate measures to reduce it;
What would this mean ?

Insists that the Commission take account of Parliament’s decisions concerning the establishment of a common charger system, in order to reduce production volumes and electronic waste

emphasises the importance of supporting second-hand, reused, recycled and reconditioned products and low-energy consumption software programmes by setting targets for public purchases;

recommends, therefore, that effective monitoring of the environmental claims made by manufacturers and distributors be carried out before a product or service is placed on the market and that the recently amended Directive 2005/29/EC be enforced through
proactive measures to tackle misleading practices;

Requests the development of clear guidelines and standards for green claims and commitments translating into strengthened ecolabel certifications and welcomes the announced legislative proposal on substantiating green claims;

“Adds that awareness should be raised of the potential environmental footprint of unnecessary data, such as unused apps, files, videos, photos and spam emails; calls on the Commission to assess the impact of digital practices and infrastructure in terms of their carbon and environmental footprint, as well as their impact on consumer practices, and to consider appropriate measures to reduce it;
What would this mean ?”

Perhaps requiring more webaps and apps that should function fully offline?

Perhaps requiring more webaps and apps that should function fully offline?

That would be good. In any case I find it absolutely crazy that every company you have business with seems to want you to install their (proprietary, but even if it were free) app on your phone.
Most uses (except data stealing) can be better implemented with webapps and even those should send me less javascript code.

I meant, who decides what data is unnecessary ? How do we fix spam without censorship... I can share the concern, because the problem exists, but I don't see there's a solution that can be legislated.

Is everyone in the same group as regards shipping/orders? Except for a handful of developers/reviewers maybe? I have absolutely no idea any more - just that I am on a list.

Is everyone in the same group as regards shipping/orders? Except for a handful of developers/reviewers maybe? I have absolutely no idea any more - just that I am on a list.
I don't know. I was assuming something like people would be sent an email by order of preorder datetime when they can complete their orders (update shipping details, pay, order any accessories or so).
I guess they'll send a batch of mails, saying they'll get their Pyras from the first (or later the current) batch if they complete the order by some date, then give them some time to react and if after the date there aren't enough orders for all the stock available, they'll send the orderd Pyras and start with the next batch. The remaining Pyras will go to the second batch of preorders, but if someone comes late or something they'll get one from the next batch, but as they keep producing Pyras I guess they'll serve everyone that completes the order, and respecting the given deadline in the mail will only bring your Pyra a little sooner. I don't know.

But I'm not terribly interested because I'm late in the queue. If the plan is something else, then it'd be also fine with me. Sending the first Pyras to developers would be good even if they skip the queue. They could also raise the price for those that want their Pyra earlier, if money is tight, but wouldn't feel so fair to me (still wouldn't affect me, I would wait anyway). But that's just my opininon and I don't want to suggest something that can upset people who have waited years for a Pyra, or paid premium or something (weren't the first preorders more expensive ?? I don't remember), so I'd say simply ship the orders in batches as soon as they're produced and tested and let the preorderers complete orders by order of age of preorder and that minimizes surprises for anyone who put their money in with the information available then.

No, there is a group of 200 that preordered earlier (usually we refer them as pre-preorders). I expect that their (well, including me) shipments will have preference over regular preorders.

Also ED said that batches are 500 units each one. I'm speculating here, but there may be delays between batches.

Yes, I'd expect him to make up a significant part of those first 500 and get them posted out before deciding to press the button to order another batch. To be specific, he requires the money that a completed preorder would make to order another batch I think, but if most of those 500 stump up then he'll have enough, but obviously it'll take a few days for the emails to go out and for people to complete their orders and for that money to arrive somewhere ED has access to it.

My bet would be that it will be after Christmas til the first Batch is out. Christmas is already very near and I'm pretty sure Evil Dragon has a lot todo with his Shop these days. But please prove me wrong mighty dragon ;).

Except for that I am only the one overseeing it.
I've got one employee who is mostly assembling stuff already (Everdrives, MegaDrive games (we flashed and assembled 2000 Ultracore carts for Strictly Limited Games last year, and that took 2 weeks)) and Askarus wants to help as well.
Shipping is being handled completely by a different employee already anyways, and I've got four other helpers I can hire anytime as well.

Why do you think I'm doing all that alone? Never did that for the Pandora.

Back