Just Bought A 20" Imac - What Do You Think? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of slagging fanboys off, how about thinking rationally and logically for a moment, and asking yourselves why Mac has *such* a stalwart and loyal following.... it really is a no-brainer, but that doesn't mean we *have* no brains... far from it, the reverse is true.

Easy - you believe all the hype Apple generates. Don't get me wrong they look nice - for five minutes until the shiny plastic is covered in finger prints. OSX looks fancy but I feel again it's mostly just looks and not functionality. The only reason they are so popular is because they are a fashion icon - nothing more - and I'm sure in years to come they will be the 'retro' thing to have to define the style of an era. Personally I would never want to spend such extortianate prices for the Uber hyped and often poorly built Apple products. A PC can do everything a MAC can and for much less money. Rant over :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of slagging fanboys off, how about thinking rationally and logically for a moment, and asking yourselves why Mac has *such* a stalwart and loyal following.... it really is a no-brainer, but that doesn't mean we *have* no brains... far from it, the reverse is true.

Easy - you believe all the hype Apple generates. Don't get me wrong they look nice - for five minutes until the shiny plastic is covered in finger prints. OSX looks fancy but I feel again it's mostly just looks and not functionality. The only reason they are so popular is because they are a fashion icon - nothing more - and I'm sure in years to come they will be the 'retro' thing to have to define the style of an era. Personally I would never want to spend such extortianate prices for the Uber hyped and often poorly built Apple products. A PC can. Rant over :p

Okay cool - you use that PC - I'm not trying to convert anyone. I guess you are trying to say I am brainwashed. The sheer irony is amusing beyond measure. If they were *just* a fashion icon, then people could connect an Armani suit to the internet!. :).

Hate to break it to you mate, but you have taken Apple and its reputation, picked out the bits that suit you, exaggerated them a bit... magnified them even more, and discarded anything that could dare to make Macs even *seem* plausible or well made. Ironic really, because you are _just_ as easily led into believing whatever you hear, whereas I *own* Apple products, and I have worked in electronics since I was 16 (am now 32) so I think by now, I know a little bit more about build quality than the "average" person.

Enjoy your PC though - you really think it can

do everything a MAC can and for much less money

Well I'd sure like some evidence to substantiate this... but please, don't bother, because I know the real truth already.

It really can't, however much you love to dream ;)

You really come across as assuming I am thick as two short planks, and can't see the difference between 'spin' mass marketing hype, and actual reality?. What arrogance of character this is!. I am not completely at the mercy of corporate advertising executives, thankyou all the same - I happen to know my own mind, and I know when I detect *anti*-fanboys, with nothing more than hearsay, to feed their opinions.

Easy - you believe all the hype Apple generates. Don't get me wrong they look nice - for five minutes until the shiny plastic is covered in finger prints. OSX looks fancy but I feel again it's mostly just looks and not functionality. The only reason they are so popular is because they are a fashion icon - nothing more - and I'm sure in years to come they will be the 'retro' thing to have to define the style of an era. Personally I would never want to spend such extortianate prices for the Uber hyped and often poorly built Apple products. A PC can do everything a MAC can and for much less money. Rant over :p

Im guessing your not going to be a ps3 fan either. I find a pc is only good if
A) you build it yourself
B) you dont buy DELL
C) you dont buy DELL*

*I know C is the same as B but its such a big point I thought id name it twice

Im guessing your not going to be a ps3 fan either. I find a pc is only good if
A) you build it yourself
B) you dont buy DELL
C) you dont buy DELL*

*I know C is the same as B but its such a big point I thought id name it twice

Arggghh Dell!!! People assume because they have flooded corporate and government institutions, that they *must* be good!. Hahaha uhmm no, that would indicate that these companies are cutting everything back as far as they can, so save their precious cashflow - Dell are cheap and sh*t, so they pluck for cheap, like sheep!.

...Talking of sheep - your point about self-build is unsubstantiated and also flawed I am afraid, for every single day, people are fleeced in their thousands, assuming that bog standard generic no-name PC components, will achieve the same PC as their mate bought for £1,000 from PC world. Sorry to swear :(

The PC market is an outright swindle to be frank - upgrading every single component you can imagine, *just* to run Vista - a polished and buffed up hangover from Windows 95, which *still* uses a REGISTRY?!!!. Please - give me a break - I need to hear something that is half plausible, if you don't mind. What a hoot!! :D

Personally, I think people who curse Windows are simply blind. Just show me better OS for beginners? OSX, yea sure, but why do you have to pay 3 times more than you'd pay for PC??? You say Macs perform better? O rly? What's the difference between Macs and PC since Apple switched to x86 processors and ATA drives? I don't see big difference but maybe it's just my ignorance.

I'm using Linux 4 years already and I see that there are LOT of areas it just sucks. There is plenty of tools, apt-get rocks, easy installing of apache, FTP server or PHP is great. But then it comes to all of the Adobe software, Macromedia Flash, software for architects...it's just NOT there or it lacks functionality! Also...gcc sucks in speed...really...I've tried the same algorithm (Simulated annealing) compiled under Borland 4 and gcc 4.1.2 (with -o3 and -march=athlon-xp flags) and difference in running time was like 5 times :/.

I respect Open Source and Linux, I use it every day and I find it useful...but I hate people being so blind to simple things like that >_> Maybe it's the "Windows users=lamers, we=haxorz" attitude, I don't know but it is really tiring :/

You really come across as assuming I am thick as two short planks, and can't see the difference between 'spin' mass marketing hype, and actual reality?. What arrogance of character this is!. I am not completely at the mercy of corporate advertising executives, thankyou all the same - I happen to know my own mind, and I know when I detect *anti*-fanboys, with nothing more than hearsay, to feed their opinions.

My my, don't we get worked up and take things personally. Please tell me something a Mac can do that a PC can't as I haven't seen anything, I have used a Mac as a friend of mine has one and It certainly didn't do anything to sway my opinion - nice but not worth the money and the number of problems he's had with it due to the poor build is staggering. Personally I would never buy a pre-built computer of any description, much better to build it yourself - you get everything you want and for less money.

I love this line -

Well I'd sure like some evidence to substantiate this... but please, don't bother, because I know the real truth already.

and you say you're not brainwashed :rolleyes:

My my, don't we get worked up and take things personally. Please tell me something a Mac can do that a PC can't as I haven't seen anything, I have used a Mac as a friend of mine has one and It certainly didn't do anything to sway my opinion - nice but not worth the money and the number of problems he's had with it due to the poor build is staggering. Personally I would never buy a pre-built computer of any description, much better to build it yourself - you get everything you want and for less money.

I love this line -

and you say you're not brainwashed :rolleyes:

I cannot be bothered to explain it. Hey use your PC - I cannot stop ya - enjoy! :). Oh and "brainwashed"?? - that would be the majority of people who *believe* that Windows is best - hah!! :p.

Jeez, this is really not the forum to write about mac's. They're overpriced, too pretty to be truly functional, and will never be accepted in corporate America (or any other country).

But I do love mine. :)

gp2x-mac.jpg

Jeez, this is really not the forum to write about mac's. They're overpriced, too pretty to be truly functional, and will never be accepted in corporate America (or any other country).

But I do love mine. :)

gp2x-mac.jpg

Why ever not?. As a liberal member of the good ole 'net, I am duly entitled to speak about anything computer related, at whatever interval I like!. Hehe

Nice setup dude. What is with portrait mode though - are you a photographer? :)

Whooo hooo my Mac is famous - I can see you have it on your screen WOOHOO *howls like a coyote* :D

To be honest, I have seen *far* more abstract threads on forums - this is a cool platform and worth the handache to type my waffle!. GP2X?... reserve my judgement, for fear of upsetting the people who love these kinda pointless gizmos. I had one, I "didn't get" it, and sold its cheap plasticky self, to a more appreciative geek than myself. :D

Supposedly, you don't buy a GP2X for its plastic. :rolleyes:

Sorry to say this, but doesn't it come hand in hand, the Apple-love and the dislike of the GP2X's build?

- Alex

I had one, I "didn't get" it, and sold its cheap plasticky self, to a more appreciative geek than myself. :D
That leads me to believe that you focus more on the outer shell of a device rather than its usability and purpose, hence your love for Apple as opposed to a regular computer.

- Alex

I had one, I "didn't get" it, and sold its cheap plasticky self, to a more appreciative geek than myself. :D
That leads me to believe that you focus more on the outer shell of a device rather than its usability and purpose, hence your love for Apple as opposed to a regular computer.

- Alex

Not one bit - GP2X is just THE most highly flawed piece of electronics garbage I have ever owned, and I have worked in electronics design and manufacture for 16 years, and seen a LOT of cr*p in my time!. Linux prophet fanboy toy, not a realistic mass market item, and i don't assume it will ever be so!. Just another waste of time, trying to promote an under-developed and geeky OS, that just isn't baked properly yet - leave it in the oven a few more years, and MAYBE!. I have used LOTS of distros over 5 years, and they all fall down *somewhere*. Sorry to say this, but GP2X seems like the biggest waste of resources for Linux communities, ever conceived. The best thing that ever happened to unix, was its adoption by Apple. Shame that some killer device/app isn't conceived again, as was Apache web server.

Linux is going nowhere in toytown, but if it helps people learn about Unix, then fine, but oh *Please*... a console contender it is NOT!.

Take a shining leaf from Apple & Nintendo - they innovate to the max, where is GP2X heading??. If this device is ever to be taken seriously, then the designers need to find a *real* manufacturer with higher standards than this - what a shambles - something as f*cking simple as having the AA batteries replaced by Li-polymer and having the internal battery power DISabled when a power adaptor is attached - a *child* could implement this circuit into Gp2X, so why has it not been done?.

Give me a break - not only is it a useless toy, but a badly designed & implemented one at that!.

Why does *Mac* work? well because the people think innovatively, have a clear idea of form and function. They don't confuse their users with stupid ideas and buttons that they 'might need'. Culture and style is inherently built into the Apple DNA profile - bringing the level of usability *and* ultimately usefulness that people can see, and WANT to use, day to day, within a product so beautiful, that they are hard to put down!.

Form factor - you cannot just plonk a piece of plastic down, and scatter random buttons for any/every function conceivable upon it - designers have to THINK when they are designing - think about how we as humans, use our bodies and react to events that we encounter. THIS is why *SO* many companies try to copy the ipod idea, but fall down at every single hurdle - you either "get it" in design, or you COPY it. Intelligence and innovation cannot be faked - you can pretend and cover up as much as you like, but everyone KNOWS deep down, that all industries copy one another, and that is pathetic!.

The GP2X was never meant to be mass-marketed, it's for dev hobbyists and for those who enjoy its wealth of free software. Glossy acrylic is obviously a lot more important to you than any of those things, so of course the GP2X didn't click with you.

How is the GP2X to promoting Linux? Did anyone here switch to Linux after purchasing a GP2X and using it? It doesn't make sense! Besides, Linux is 100% free software, so where's the evil benefit of 'promoting' it?

You call it "an under-developed and geeky OS", that shows your maturity, I'd rather not have seen it.

- Alex

The GP2X was never meant to be mass-marketed, it's for dev hobbyists and for those who enjoy its wealth of free software. Glossy acrylic is obviously a lot more important to you than any of those things, so of course the GP2X didn't click with you.

How is the GP2X to promoting Linux? Did anyone here switch to Linux after purchasing a GP2X and using it? It doesn't make sense! Besides, Linux is 100% free software, so where's the evil benefit of 'promoting' it?

You call it "an under-developed and geeky OS", that shows your maturity, I'd rather not have seen it.

- Alex

Polycarbonate dude - acrylic shatters!. I do not expect you to find more out about the 'inner me' by analysing my opinions of Linux... It is all hyperbole tbh, and as much as I admire the loyalty for FOSS, it is blatently putting crucial apps, into the hands of *anyone* to modify and potentially wreck them.

Apple don't reverse engineer - they conceived their *own* hardware platform, and build upon it hand-in-glove, for smooth gorgeous perfection and usability. Sorry - admirable as it MAY be, Linux is never even close to the uniformity of form and function that OS X has. Problem with FOSS, is that too many cooks spoil the broth - everyone has THEIR idea of what looks good. Apple use a small group of people, thinking logically and not idealistically - to create a uniform 'look and feel', that is recognised ANYWHERE!.

People moan about them using BSD and all that - well they didn't use Linux did they!. BSD build solutions from the ground up, to work as intended, not hack em together in bits and bobs so they 'get em working'. Sorry to say so, but no wonder *BSD* was chosen!.

Whooo hooo my Mac is famous - I can see you have it on your screen WOOHOO *howls like a coyote* :D

Well, it's two 1600x1200 displays (or 1200x1600 the way they're oriented) for a desktop resolution of 2400x1600. Which is a lot cheaper than a single 30" Apple or Dell monitors. If I oriented them in landscape side by side, then it takes up too much desk space!

I had your picture in the browser to show that this wasn't some pic I found on the net.

Apple don't reverse engineer - they conceived their *own* hardware platform, and build upon it hand-in-glove, for smooth gorgeous perfection and usability. Sorry - admirable as it MAY be, Linux is never even close to the uniformity of form and function that OS X has.
You seem to forget that everything Apple has a costly price tag pinned to it, while Linux was always free of charge. The fact that you belittle people's work like that isn't sitting very well. Linux variants are designed to accommodate the common user, who does not have $2500 to buy a high end desktop...

- Alex

Well, it's two 1600x1200 displays (or 1200x1600 the way they're oriented) for a desktop resolution of 2400x3200. Which is more pixels than the 30" Apple or Dell monitors at a much lower price. If I oriented them in landscape side by side, then it takes up too much desk space!

I had your picture in the browser to show that this wasn't some pic I found on the net.

Being the man I am, I would only use Apple with Apple - not because I am brainwashed, but because their quality and their tech support are second to none, and the hardware all looks good together, and is very well made indeed (did I just repeat myself?). I can see the cost savings, but once ya hooked, its like a drug! :p

Apple don't reverse engineer - they conceived their *own* hardware platform, and build upon it hand-in-glove, for smooth gorgeous perfection and usability. Sorry - admirable as it MAY be, Linux is never even close to the uniformity of form and function that OS X has.
You seem to forget that everything Apple has a costly price tag pinned to it, while Linux was always free of charge. The fact that you belittle people's work like that isn't sitting very well. Linux variants are designed to accommodate the common user, who does not have $2500 to buy a high end desktop...

- Alex

Sorry but that is my opinion, and I don't speak out so that I am agreed with - I'd have no mind if I did!. Oh and for those that are never willing to fork out for a REAL computer, then Linux is perfectly suited to your nomadic spending patterns. Shame, because you can only ever say you used a genuine Personal Computer, if you have owned/used a Mac!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back