Just bought a platinum Pandora!

oarias

Still Fresh
So I pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered a Pandora from the distributer here in USA, they were quick to answer questions via email, and shipped it out the same day.

(I really wanted one of the "official" softcases, and they were good enough to throw them in store for me)

I'm looking forward to getting it, I keep hitting refresh on the UPS tracking site... :)

I had considered holding out for the 1ghz model, but didn't want to wait.

I've been lurking around for a couple of years, waiting to see if this product was going to be vaporware or not. Since it seems that all the backorders have been filled, and that there is stock available to be purchased, I guess it is safe to buy now! ;)

A few years ago I purchased a gpx2 "wiz" that I used twice, as the emulators for it (at the time) ran REALLY slow. :(

I'm hoping the Pandora performs better.

I suspect I'm not typical of the average Pandora purchaser. I'm 42 and could care less about most of the advanced systems that it can emulate (N64/playstation/etc).

I'm mostly interested in Atari 2600, Colecovision, Commodore 64, pre-1988 arcade games, and a handfull of NES, Genesis and Amiga titles. It's odd looking at Youtube to find information on the Pandora and everyone seems to only show SuperMario64. I'm more interested in how "Yar's Revenge" and Star Wars the arcade game play... ;)

Every couple of years I go to Asia on vacation, and hope that this little computer will make the 14 hour flights a bit easier.

Anyhow, thanks for reading!

Oscar

Enjoy its a fun toy for sure.Genesis,32x,megacd all are emulated perfectly via picodrive.The snes emu is great too.Vice is the c64 emu havent tried it though.Theres uae 2.0 for amiga 1200 games havent tried it though.Deadbeef is a good music player too and firefox is the best most stable browser and yes the battery life is unprecedented.Have fun

You are going to be pleased! I play Yars and SW games all the time and 2600 rocks! Emu speeds are fantastic. I travel quite often and the Pandora makes the long trips less tiresome! Get ready to have some fun.

Nice ... I believe you will be pleased with the performance enhancement over your old Wiz

I'm still waiting my Pandora from the first batch, I'm also keen as mustard but have to wait a little while longer than you.

As for your 14 hour flights to Asia ... By the time you have eaten your on-board meal, visited the toilet quickly, adjusted your seat to a relaxed position, read the safety manual .... yes ... you should have just enough juice in your battery to cover that distance :)

To be sure, take a spare battery on a 14h flight. VICE seems to work nicely to emulate the C64, as far as I have tried it. Played Giana Sisters, Impossible Mission, Rick Dangerous 2, and a few other games and they looked exactly like I remembered them. Only thing: loading them takes a long time (maybe the emulator is too realistic), so you might want to save a snapshot just after loading each game.

Only thing: loading them takes a long time (maybe the emulator is too realistic), so you might want to save a snapshot just after loading each game.
There is a warp mode to boost loading speeds IIRC

Thanks for the purchase and supporting the project.

Looks like you'll be a happy camper on Friday, enjoy the weekend!

As for your 14 hour flights to Asia ... By the time you have eaten your on-board meal, visited the toilet quickly, adjusted your seat to a relaxed position, read the safety manual .... yes ... you should have just enough juice in your battery to cover that distance :)

I ordered a spare battery as well, as I expect to use it while waiting around various airports along the way. I think most of the flights I'm currently looking at have "in-seat" power ports so it shouldn't be an issue.

I remember the first long trip that I took a handheld videogame (back in 2000) was a Sega Nomad, that took a small pile of AA batteries for less than 2 hours of gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember the first long trip that I took a handheld videogame (back in 2000) was a Sega Nomad, that took a small pile of AA batteries for less than 2 hours of gameplay.
I bought the rechargeable battery pack which lasted less time then the 6 AA batteries, but was def cheaper in the long run, but now that battery doesn't hold a charge anymore.. Luckily,Thanks to the Pandora I don't need to burn through batteries anymore with the excellent Genesis/Mega Drive emulation that picodrive does.

Welcome to the community Oscar and congratulations on your purchase.

You sound like a pretty typical Pandora user to me :) Last flight I took my Pandora on was about 18 hours and it lasted most of the flight (I didn't use it non-stop though). Hope you receive your Pandora soon.

Welcome ! I think you will find it serves your puopeses well !

Congratulations mate, did you get your Pandora from Link?

Well, if he is the same person that runs www.ithic.com then, yes.

If he ISN'T the same guy, then he is some creepy stalker that somehow knows my Pandora is getting here on Friday.... :ph34r:

:D

Oscar

You sound like a pretty typical Pandora user to me :)

eeeehhh? Most people I've seen on youtube doing demos of them are in their 20's and early 30's.

Maybe just I feel really old now.... anyhow.. :eek:

Oscar

Welcome, Oscar!

My understanding is that the community encompasses quite a lot of age-ranges, from those who were children, teens, and young adults when the first home-micros hit the big-time (and possibly even some who worked with the machines that preceded them), to folks who weren't even born back then, and of course, everyone in between (I think that I fall into the in-between, somewhat, being in my late 20s, and having gotten my first computer when I was about six years old). It's certainly an eclectic place, united by common interests. :)

I hope you enjoy your Pandora. If it's of any interest, last year, I used mine non-stop as an audio-player for a twelve hour journey, and it went dead the very moment I reached my destination. To underscore how cool that is, that was before the better power-management that we now have was even present. You should have no issues using yours on 18-hour flights, for sure!

I have also just recently bought and received my unit. Let me tell you it is the coolest thing I've ever bought. Your in for a long day of excitement and 8- bit music, and a fantastic headache at the end( the good kind of headache :) )

You sound like a pretty typical Pandora user to me :)

eeeehhh? Most people I've seen on youtube doing demos of them are in their 20's and early 30's.

Maybe just I feel really old now.... anyhow.. :eek:

Oscar

That's because users of our age are used to usenet not youtube ;) .

I'm 40 today! :)

And I've seen several board members who are older than that. Quite a lot of us, I guess, are of the first home computer generation.

^^^Congratulations Moxie! Welcome to the silver age ;-P.

im envious. i wish i had the spare cash to get a pandora..... btw im turning 51 this year so you are certainly not on your own.....

Back