Jxd 301

This one looks interesting. It has a proper D-pad and enough buttons including shoulder buttons, a bigger 4" screen, I don't know where the speaker ports are though. I wonder what CPU it uses? God there are so many of these things :blink:

tms-vx888-4.jpg

http://www.pmptoday.com/2007/08/16/tms-v88...pmp-from-china/

DaveC said:
This one looks interesting. It has a proper D-pad and enough buttons including shoulder buttons, a bigger 4" screen, I don't know where the speaker ports are though. I wonder what CPU it uses? God there are so many of these things :blink:

http://www.pmptoday.com/2007/08/16/tms-v88...pmp-from-china/

Wow wow wow nice find DaveC ! Looks really interesting, with a really nice design, quite ipodish :blink: However, thinking of it, I don't think it would be possible with such flat buttons (A, B, X and Y), to press two buttons at the same time using only the thumb, which would make many games not really playable

EDIT : after doing some search it appears that it is indeed a copy of the iriver g10, although the g10 is not available yet ... It may be better to wait for the original rather than for the cheap chinese clone ? I'm surprised there is no more discussion on the iriver g10 here since it seems to be designed to emulate properly at least snes ... and with wifi support and so on !

Last edited by a moderator:
I will recieve the jxd301 this week (maybe even today). Any news about homebrew, firmware hacking etc.? Are there any sites where you can download files for the jxd301. Franxis, Slaneesh, TTYMAN and Co., what's about porting Mame to the jxd301. Outrun could definitely be 100% full speed and maybe there is even enough processor power for Powerdrift. Ryleh, what's about f-day on this little device with this brilliant screen?

EDIT: Thanks for your links. So I thought why not doing some research on my own. ...and the result is: this site, and of course emuholic mentioned in a previous post

@davec: check the (far from complete) device list @ bfdev.wikidot.com. There's a whole bunch of machines with the same internals as the jxd301, and a shiload more that have similar specs (blackfin 531 @ 400mhz instead of a bf533 @ 500, and half the ram (16mb). These cheaper devices can be had for about 60 bucks, but only play NES out of the box afaik.

I broke my hand, so I won't be doing a lot of coding for at least a couple of weeks, but the idea is to get linux on there :)

Inopia said:
@DaveC: check the (far from complete) device list @ bfdev.wikidot.com. There's a whole bunch of machines with the same internals as the jxd301, and a shiload more that have similar specs (blackfin 531 @ 400mhz instead of a bf533 @ 500, and half the ram (16mb). These cheaper devices can be had for about 60 bucks, but only play NES out of the box afaik.

I broke my hand, so I won't be doing a lot of coding for at least a couple of weeks, but the idea is to get linux on there :)
Hopefully you get better. :) I think that you and the other developers are going to make a lot of people happy if you really get linux running on it.

That is dead sexy, however, I don't think it has a Blackfin chip in it..?

The model name is 619E, and here it is on Sansui's website.

nem said:

Well if you compare the specs with other confirmed BF531 devices such as the cyclone, the v1000 from ainol and the gemei x720, they are identical. I haven't seen a rockchip or action based player with these specs so I think it's a bf531.

Note that JXD301 is a BF533 based player. The JXD301 has a faster proc (runs at 500mhz, specs say it should go to 750) and 32mb ram. These cheaper blackfin players have a bf531 proc wich runs at 400mhz (wich is the max) and has a smaller L1 cache. For the rest the BF533 and BF531 are identical. The cheap ones also have less memory (Ainol v1000 has 16mb we think, but not 100% sure). Furthermore, they all seem to have av in/out and a crappy 300kpixel (webcam)/2mpixel (snapshot) camera. Internal flash is usually 1GB versus 2GB on the 301, but other sizes (512bm, 2gb) can be found as well.

The cool thing is that if we get linux running on these machines (there's a ucLinux port for blackfin, even has drivers for the tv-out and such), we can use that as a base for porting emulators and other things. This means that these cheap bf531 devices will probably be able to run the same stuff as the bf533 players (jxd301, gemei x760, ainol v2000).

Since 400mhz might be enough for most (oldskool system) emulators we might be able to get away with paying 50-60 euros for a tiny, cheap machine that already has a gig of storage, and you can even choose wich shell and button layout you like best.

Let's hope it all turns out as well as we want it to :)

Well, you've obviously researched it more than I have. Hopefully you're right :) Let us know in any case.

nem said:

From the site:

Now you just KNOW that there are copyright issues there.

I got my JXD 301 on Friday. The things that stand out at first are the small size, nice screen, and loud speaker. I have a GP2X F100 & F200 already and the JXD 301 screen has a much wider viewing angle making it easier to actually share what you are watching with others.

I managed to ‘brick’ my JXD 301 by using the reset button to turn it off. I fixed this by formatting the internal flash drive and reloading the files.

The buttons are very small and playing games for a long time can cramp the hands. Still I can run my NES Tecmo Bowl offense with precision and I am getting better on defense as I get used to the controls.

The built in NES and NEOGEO emulators are okay. These are the only two I have really tried out. I will try the others in time.

The video player works well and plays FLV’s so you can play videos from Youtube and other sites that use the FLV. It supports other formats, but the FLV is the only I tried so far.

Overall I think it was worth the purchase. It is a very sleek device.

Good to see people are liking their 301, can't wait to see what you guys do with it.

Just want to point out that the 301's CAN be charged via USB, just the other end of the USB cable needs an adapter to fit the power in socket on the player - i am trying to source an adapter that people can just connect to the 5 pin usb cable that came with the player - if the price works out to less 50cents per adapter, i'll give them free to those that ordered the JXD 301 off our site.

If any of you are having issues starting the player WITH a memory card inserted, then you may need to format the card to either FAT or FAT32 (sorry i don't remember which one fixed the problem).

We also added the 4GB (internal memory) JXD 301 - $149.50, we have a xmas deal for the 2GB, comes with added accessories.

We also reduced the price of the Ainol V2000 4GB, the v2000 is almost exactly the same, apart from it looks better.

Raz - admin of mp4nation.NET (no longer .COM...stoopid yahoo)

Ohh and this player:

20071130064938336.gif

Does not use ADI Blackfin 531 or any other blackfin processor, sorry, - most likely it uses an older sunplus chip (similar to the JXD 301)

chaos engineer said:
very nice idea. looking forward to this usb adapter plug. can you post here when you have got it on stock?
If i remember i will.

Just a heads up, Ainol released a new firmware today for the V2000, the V2000 firmware can be loaded on to the JXD (and visa versa) and works almost without issue (except on the JXD the V2000 firmware flips the screen).

The new V2000 firmware seems like a big update (but no emulator improvements, at least no mention was made to them in the release notes). It does add WMV and ASF file support along with other fixes and improvements, heres the link to the translated firmware page:

http://72.14.203.104/translate_c?hl=en&amp...cial%26hs%3Dfdm

Most likely JXD will have an update out shortly on their site too, check our JXD sub forum for the announcement when that happens.

thatMP4guy said:
Ohh and this player:

20071130064938336.gif

Does not use ADI Blackfin 531 or any other blackfin processor, sorry, - most likely it uses an older sunplus chip (similar to the JXD 301)
Hey, where did you get that info? We could use a better index of which devices use blackfin and wich don't. With all the rebranding going on it's hard to figure out what's what :)

Inopia said:
thatMP4guy said:
Ohh and this player:

20071130064938336.gif

Hey, where did you get that info? We could use a better index of which devices use blackfin and wich don't. With all the rebranding going on it's hard to figure out what's what :)

Well its more from what i know about these players, ADI players don't have cameras and don't have TV out either - sunplus chips do. I don't have a list of which manufacturers are making what, but generally (at least right now) ADI players are mostly made under known (at least known in the China market) brands i.e. Gemei, JXD, Ainol, Aigo etc. I haven't seen any generic ADI players as yet.

thatMP4guy said:
Well its more from what i know about these players, ADI players don't have cameras and don't have TV out either - sunplus chips do. I don't have a list of which manufacturers are making what, but generally (at least right now) ADI players are mostly made under known (at least known in the China market) brands i.e. Gemei, JXD, Ainol, Aigo etc. I haven't seen any generic ADI players as yet.
Well, we know that gemei made a BF531-based player called the x720 (wich I can't find anywhere for sale, old player?).

http://www.analog.com/processors/blackfin/...gemeiIndex.html

From the article

Another feature the X720 includes is a 130M-pixel internal digital camera –both daylight and nighttime models –that display pictures on the PMP's three-inch (960 x 240 pixel) low-temperature poly-silicon (LTPS) screen in JPEG/BMP/GIF formats. Users of the X720 PMP can also present slideshows using GIF format.

and

Gemei leveraged the Blackfin's external bus interface unit (EBIU) for SDRAM, NAND flash, a USB controller, and a SC card interface. Gemei is also using an ADI ADV7179 NTSC/PAL video encoder in its signal chain.

This confirms camera and tv in/out on a BF531 device. We're also looking at those 'cyclone' mp4 players and a couple of other uncomfirmed ones. We also know that the ainol V1000 is a BF531 based player.

http://bfdev.wikidot.com/ainol-v1000

Back