Jxd 301

DaveC said:
I can't see devs wanting to invest alot of hours developing on this unit with its many crippling flaws.
Well clearly you are wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been a user of the GP32 and the GP2x since day one, and while I really liked the GP32, the GP2x was a let down for me, it is physically to big and looks dated, has poor battery life, the controlls are just to awkward to use (I own the first model of 2x) and the screen looks washed out and dull, back in the GP32 days this was kinda acceptable but by todays standards it just isn't.

I have just bought a 301 because it looks like a step in the right direction for me, the screen is sharper and brighter, it physically looks like it belongs in the here and now, not the past, it has a powerfull CPU and the console has lots of useful features. Im not saying it doesn't have its faults, the lack of buttons will make SNES games awkward to play and while it only has 1 speaker It is said it is of good quality.

The biggest factor in buying one of these should be the interest it has sparked it some of the better devs. that have been instrumental in making the 32 and 2x a success.

Along with its price, I believe that the 301 is a great handheld console for retro emulation, at least untill the new project from Craig becomes a reallity.

I think it is unfortunate that the friendly people on these boards will just flame the new 301, I personally hope that any of the devs. that code for it will bring the experience they gain back to this community when the new machine from Craig comes out.

I may be wrong about all this, their might be problems adapting the firmware of the machine to boot homebrew binaries, but for £65.00 or so, i'm willing to give it a go and offer support to any devs. that climb onboard.

My two pennies...

I can't remember how many times the word 'emulation' has been used negatively as the main cause about a Community and its Scene being lame. Specially with PSP, GP2X and GP32 handhelds.

By other side, you guys can't stop arguing about the lack of buttons for emulating other systems, say GBA or SNES. Bah who cares! Wouldn't you guys want real Scene? I'm not sure what you really want, but according to comments no-one can deny that emulation is the first thing we think for any handheld out there. In fact, I'd love people to do a lot of non-emulation related work, 'cos I'm quite tired about the "emulation kills scene" topic.

Considering the 301 deffiencies apart, the whole system is just a bargain for 90 eur! It's not a killer system for designing reasons, but let's get some fun hacking it and porting a few apps for god's love.

Just let's concentrate on this little beast while craiginator comes to a reality, and let's have a fun time in peace doing it. When craiginator gets launched, we'll probably go there as it is considered *the* system. None dev would resist to its specs.

And about GPH, I am certainly bored about them (much like happened to me with real GamePark). And I'm not the only one. The amount of changes in 2 years for the f200 is a little disappointing, but the current f800 specs are the biggest joke I've heard of (although let's wait for the rumor to consolidate first).

That's why I've installed the blackfin toolchain and its SDK in my HD, and that's why I've started compiling some code. And this does not mean I'm leaving the GP32/GP2X scene anyways, it's just that I'm expanding myself to other areas.

DaveC said:
Yeah I guess it looks like if we want to play Rlyeh's emus we will be doing it on a tiny screen and listening to them in mono sound, Bleh that kind of sucks :(
I'd rather play on one good speaker than two shit ones. :lol:

rlyeh said:
My two pennies...

I can't remember how many times the word 'emulation' has been used negatively as the main cause about a Community and its Scene being lame. Specially with PSP, GP2X and GP32 handhelds.

By other side, you guys can't stop arguing about the lack of buttons for emulating other systems, say GBA or SNES. Bah who cares! Wouldn't you guys want real Scene? I'm not sure what you really want, but according to comments no-one can deny that emulation is the first thing we think for any handheld out there. In fact, I'd love people to do a lot of non-emulation related work, 'cos I'm quite tired about the "emulation kills scene" topic.

Considering the 301 deffiencies apart, the whole system is just a bargain for 90 eur! It's not a killer system for designing reasons, but let's get some fun hacking it and porting a few apps for god's love.

Just let's concentrate on this little beast while craiginator comes to a reality, and let's have a fun time in peace doing it. When craiginator gets launched, we'll probably go there as it is considered *the* system. None dev would resist to its specs.

And about GPH, I am certainly bored about them (much like happened to me with real GamePark). And I'm not the only one. The amount of changes in 2 years for the f200 is a little disappointing, but the current f800 specs are the biggest joke I've heard of (although let's wait for the rumor to consolidate first).

That's why I've installed the blackfin toolchain and its SDK in my HD, and that's why I've started compiling some code. And this does not mean I'm leaving the GP32/GP2X scene anyways, it's just that I'm expanding myself to other areas.
Have you gotten yours, ryleh? I saw a picture of it compared to a CD and it was the same width. That's crazy talk! :blink:

But anyway, good luck getting development started for this thing. I think it would be a nice little toy to carry around, a lot smaller than any of the current consoles, that's for sure.

Yay, I just received my 301! After flicking through the menus and playing a few SNES roms, my first impressions are:
  • What a sharp, bright and colourful screen!
  • ...unfortunately let down by tiny, gummy little d-pad and control buttons
  • annoyingly resets itself to chinese upon startup (grrrr!)
  • what an amusing, cheap little gimmick, which...
  • I'll definitely load with TV episodes to watch to/from work!!
Battletoads battlemaniacs, TMNT IV, FF6, and DK1 ran fine - although audio emulation isn't particularly accurate. Stunt Race FX loaded, with severe graphical glitches in-game (I'm surprised it loaded at all!). What little I tried of Super Mario Allstars worked fine, but with major glitches in the selection screen.

quartercast said:
Yay, I just received my 301! After flicking through the menus and playing a few SNES roms, my first impressions are:
  • What a sharp, bright and colourful screen!
  • ...unfortunately let down by tiny, gummy little d-pad and control buttons
  • annoyingly resets itself to chinese upon startup (grrrr!)
  • what an amusing, cheap little gimmick, which...
  • I'll definitely load with TV episodes to watch to/from work!!
Battletoads battlemaniacs, TMNT IV, FF6, and DK1 ran fine - although audio emulation isn't particularly accurate. Stunt Race FX loaded, with severe graphical glitches in-game (I'm surprised it loaded at all!). What little I tried of Super Mario Allstars worked fine, but with major glitches in the selection screen.
I can always tell that the audio is not going to be right whenever I hear that beginning Konami, Capcom, Nintendo jingle. If one or more of those don't sound right, the sound will be off.

Funny about the language reset, mine doesn't do that. Star Fox runs sluggish, but Yoshi's Island runs good. No glitches in my Super Mario All Stars. I really don't think that the emulators have been tweaked at all for this little system. They have a feel about them that they were just thrown on as an added feature.

I hope that there can be some homebrew made for this little thing.

I feel like the F-200 needed a screen like this. So does the CraigX machine.

darkman said:
Funny about the language reset, mine doesn't do that. Star Fox runs sluggish, but Yoshi's Island runs good. No glitches in my Super Mario All Stars. I really don't think that the emulators have been tweaked at all for this little system. They have a feel about them that they were just thrown on as an added feature.
I figured out the language setup, the unit only saves the language setting if you shut it down properly using the power button. Yoshi's Island runs pretty choppy on mine, and the coin animation appears garbled.

darkman said:
I hope that there can be some homebrew made for this little thing.

I hope the craiginator gets an OLED screen. No backlight = extended battery life!

darkman said:
You want the Craiginator to have a small 3" screen? Why the hell do you want that?

Actually it seems like the standard for these players is a small screen and one speaker, meh.

quartercast said:
I'd rather play on one good speaker than two shit ones. :lol:
For you maybe, but SNES, NeoGeo, MD/Genesis sound much better in stereo to me than mono even if the bass response is a bit weak.

DaveC said:
darkman said:
You want the Craiginator to have a small 3" screen? Why the hell do you want that?

I think you totally missed the point. :blink: I am not talking about screen size. Have the screen size as big as you want. It just needs to be a LTPS TFT (Low Temperature Polysilicon Thin Film Transistor). You just have to see one to know what I am talking about. I wished I had this type of LCD for my computer. This is the first time that I have ever seen one up close.

edit:This is a little of what I am talking about. No matter what angle you view it at, you can see it.

right.jpg
top2.jpg

bottom.jpg
left.jpg

I apologize to anyone who is on dial-up.

Squidge said:
I can't believe how cheap this thing is, I might have to buy a couple :D
Count me in, just working out the cheapest way to get one.

Feels very reminiscent of the GP32 if you wanted to hack around Freelauncher to get stuff running, a fun sideline :D.

darkman said:
By pushing the "power on" button. Just a push, not a hold. If you hold down the "power on" button it will go into the "301 off" mode and power down. You turn it on by holding it down until it begins to boot. Sort-of-like my laptops. In order to get into some SNES games you have to use your start button and maybe the select button a few times.

edit: On the same menu is the volume control, volume off/on, save, load, keyboard config, quit game, etc.

I thought that "extra" button looked awkwardly placed. now i know why, cause its the power button. if you hold the "menu button" too long you turn off the device. wow that post really made me not want anything to do with this device. this device has some nice features and a really nice screen but too poorly designed in critical areas. with the rate of development of these kinds of devices im sure another mp4 player will come out that is just like this but with flaws fixed.

I have started a dedicated section on Emuholic for the JXD 301. In addition to news on the front page there are three forums for News, Development and General Chat. I have started to put together two FAQs, one for development and one general information so if anyone would like to add something please reply to their respective posts and I will add it to the main FAQ. Or if you would just like to chat, ask a question etc please feel free to do so, guest posting is enabled :)

The JXD 301 section on the site has only just started today so it is a little bare so please pay us a visit and give the JXD 301 community a good kick start!

Back