Jxd 301

saw it, it looks damn impressive for that amount of money.. the blackfin processor sports some really heavy performance, although such a RISC/DSP architecture takes time to optimise. but still 533 MHz + SRAM, you can't go wrong even with a stupid compiler. no wonder it can do decent SNES emulation.. if it has (decent) 3d hardware i strongly doubt. the exterior looks really damn fine, btw.

but it lacks one thing: a community. so i probably won't get one of these (until it does get some hackers devving for it)

I got my 301 yesterday and I have been spending a lot of time with it and will be this weekend. SuSE 10.0 could not pick it up, so I had to drag out my thinkpad from the closet that is running XP. XP said it didn't know what it was but it was still allowing me to load things on to it. Since then I have found that the cut and paste feature (in the JXD filmware) will allow you to move them around to where you want after you have loaded things onto your SD card with a card reader. So now I don't need my thinkpad, back into the closet it goes. No more windows.

I have been going through a learning curve with the directional button. (In my mind I can already hear complains concerning the F-200) The other buttons are configurable.

I have been a little frustrated with the emulators. I HAVE BEEN SPOILED WITH THE GP2X!! I so much desire some options so that I can tweak them for individual games. It seems that some of the SNES games run a little too fast and some, like Starfox, are somewhat sluggish. Others are running great! Sound is not right, not as good as the pocket SNES is for the GP2X. But these emulators are like other emulators, they need a compatible rom dump. The Genesis emulator needs a lot of work. There is really no excuse for it to be this way. Sound is turned off by default and for good reason, any type of action makes the game choppy when the sound is activated. The RPG games work the best on the Genesis with sound and any game that does not have fast action.

The Neo Geo emulator works good with sound. I have been trying to learn to play Samurai Shodown with the four button directional pad.

You have to go through a formula to push the start button. You push the system on button then quickly push the enter button to instigate start for, Genesis, SNES, and “insert coin” or start for the Neo Geo.

The NES emulator plays great. The MP3 sounds great and the extra headphone jack works great for sharing the sound with someone. (the only way that you will get stereo out of this one speaker system)

Because of the outward design of the casing there are finger prints all over mine and I keep trying to keep it clean. The screen is awesome and has very unreal viewing angles. I have never been able to look at a screen from the angles that this enables you too and still see a nice color picture on a portable. I like a lot of the features built into the filmware.(delete, cut and paste, save, load, etc) The SD card fits deep and tight, requiring you to push it a little deep in order to feel that “push back” to eject. Not easy!

The main emulators that I have been playing with is the NES, SNES, and Neo Geo.

The whole experience has been a bit plug and play as far as the gaming aspect. I have tried an “avi” file of a Batman Begins movie trailer. Because it was wide screen it only used up 50% of the display.

I like this little gadget, it is going to be right in there with my other portables. It makes a good little in your pocket portable NES, SNES. And if I can find some more of those funny Neo Geo files, a Neo Geo Portable.

As far as the hacking goes, I see r|yeh over at the MP4 nation taking an interest.

reaper79 said:
earx said:
but it lacks one thing: a community. so i probably won't get one of these (until it does get some hackers devving for it)

Well, here is a thread started by rlyeh over at mp4nation Clicky-click

Yeah I guess it looks like if we want to play Rlyeh's emus we will be doing it on a tiny screen and listening to them in mono sound, Bleh that kind of sucks :(

Last edited by a moderator:
reaper79 said:
earx said:

Well, here is a thread started by rlyeh over at mp4nation Clicky-click

Are you telling me that a random chinese company can make a system with a better screen than the gp2x and that is easier to make a custom firmware for than the gp2x? Wow.

I would get this if it had shoulder buttons, and maybe wifi...........and a touchscreen.......or if it completely rips off the idea of the craiginator, but that's just me. :blink:

I'm interested as well, though Rlyeh may be the guinea pig to test it out for us all. ;P

Unbelievable amount of value for your money. I would buy it if I didn't have a mp3 player and a gp2x.
My GP2X has got some small issues and the Graiginator will take too long, so I think it will be the F200 for me (love the touchscreen).

This device looks great though, and will suit the purpose of many I guess.

OMars said:
Are you telling me that a random chinese company can make a system with a better screen than the gp2x and that is easier to make a custom firmware for than the gp2x? Wow.

Well GPH is pretty incompetent overall so yes, just about any company could do a better job. But when did anyone say it was easy to develop custom firmware for? As far as I've heard it comes with firmware and some built in emulators, which will probably never be updated, there's no documentation and it's not meant to run unsigned code so you'd have to reverse engineer it. Who knows what OS it even runs, or if it's something entirely custom. There are hundreds of shitty MP4 players so the company will probably stop making it out of nowhere and refuse to provide any support except to use it out of the box as they intended.

Stealth Bagel said:
OMars said:

Well GPH is pretty incompetent overall so yes, just about any company could do a better job. But when did anyone say it was easy to develop custom firmware for? As far as I've heard it comes with firmware and some built in emulators, which will probably never be updated, there's no documentation and it's not meant to run unsigned code so you'd have to reverse engineer it. Who knows what OS it even runs, or if it's something entirely custom. There are hundreds of shitty MP4 players so the company will probably stop making it out of nowhere and refuse to provide any support except to use it out of the box as they intended.

You didn't read the thread from the link that was in the post I replied to, did you? People said that they could remove or edit the firmware, test things out, and it would not brick. That is so long as it is in "firmware mode". It also runs on a blackfin processor, which, I guess, has a port of linux for it. That's why ryleh, an avid programmer in this scene, was so interested in it. Plus, that company only seems to make a handful of mp4 players. And so what if they drop support for it. Just look at the gp2x. ;) I don't think that GPH helped very much in anything other than releasing the system and the firmware's source.

DaveC said:
Yeah I guess it looks like if we want to play Rlyeh's emus we will be doing it on a tiny screen and listening to them in mono sound, Bleh that kind of sucks :(
It's stereo through the headphone jack I think, plus the speakers on these sorts of handhelds aren't so hot anyway. I think the lack of buttons is a major drawback though, not necessarily shoulder buttons but just in general.

it looks like a really nice device and the power of the cpu :eek: the only problems i can see is its got no shoulder buttons plus i doubt much hombre and apps for it will be made

tim0391 said:
it looks like a really nice device and the power of the cpu :eek: the only problems i can see is its got no shoulder buttons plus i doubt much hombre and apps for it will be made
Plus using a start or select button on a SNES game or Neo Geo game is on a pull down menu. It takes some getting used to. I still find it a little frustrating and I have had mine for three days now.

How do you access the pull-down menu? I wonder, since I am interested in the JXD 301 but the lack of buttons is something of a concern even for GBA.

krosfyah said:
DaveC said:
It's stereo through the headphone jack I think, plus the speakers on these sorts of handhelds aren't so hot anyway. I think the lack of buttons is a major drawback though, not necessarily shoulder buttons but just in general.

Well for me I just like to pull out a system and play it. That means not having to faff about with headphone wires and sticking things in my ears to hear stereo in games.

This thing looks like something for devs to dick around with because of the increased clock speed. As an end user this thing has way to many flaws for me to consider getting into it and making it "the de-facto handheld for emus" though. The main ones are the lack of 2 speakers, the lack of enough buttons to run many things, and the small screen. I looked at my DS with a 3" screen recently and thought to myself, man the screen is tiny. I consider the GP2X screen a bit small too actually, it is borderline. A 4" 4:3 screen would be the bomb but that isn't in the cards. I don't really get why people are going mental over this cheap Chinese flash in the pan trinket. I can't see devs wanting to invest alot of hours developing on this unit with its many crippling flaws. If anything I would think most would wait for the Craiginator to do their best work if they are tired of the GP2X.

zodttd said:
How do you access the pull-down menu? I wonder, since I am interested in the JXD 301 but the lack of buttons is something of a concern even for GBA.
By pushing the "power on" button. Just a push, not a hold. If you hold down the "power on" button it will go into the "301 off" mode and power down. You turn it on by holding it down until it begins to boot. Sort-of-like my laptops. In order to get into some SNES games you have to use your start button and maybe the select button a few times.

edit: On the same menu is the volume control, volume off/on, save, load, keyboard config, quit game, etc.

Back